Options

Scottish independence: let's have an honest debate (P3)

Comments

• Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just returned back from the polling station and they are using pencils, is this the norm? I took a pen anyway and used that, I hope my vote doesn't get discounted because I chose to use ink rather than led.

As far as I'm aware the rule is that the voter's intentions must be clear. I doubt most counters would even notice a detail like that.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »

WHATEVER happened to the arc of prosperity?

The achievements, during the years of plenty, of small economies such as Ireland and Iceland, each with its own hands on the levers of power, each virtually on our doorstep, could only help drive home the case for Scotland to reclaim its independence too, couldn’t it? But when boom turned to bust and prosperity turned into protracted austerity, all talk here of the arc’s allure simply evaporated.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/alf-young-salmond-s-arc-of-prosperity-melted-1-2782003
  • Options
    timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zac_Jones wrote: »
    I have no desire to quote your bigoted posts and give them more publicity.

That would be unfair to other posters who have no desire to be offended by such naked prejudice.

Still feeling the need to be a WUM and tell lies about people.

Says a lot about you.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware the rule is that the voter's intentions must be clear. I doubt most counters would even notice a detail like that.

You are right, it doesn't matter at all. Pencils are provided because they are cheap and no-one nicks them (actually they do, but they are less enticing than a pen).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    timboy wrote: »
    Still feeling the need to be a WUM and tell lies about people.

Says a lot about you.

Now you're just trolling.

Is there an ignore function on here?
  • Options
    Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Possibly, but this is a far cry from what you were saying earlier about the danger of extreme left-wingers taking over in Scotland!

It's still a danger though.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

Not much of one, especially if the system of PR is retained.
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think whatever the result it's going to be intense. I hope No wins the vote but you just never know :(

I honestly think we're going to get riots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just returned back from the polling station and they are using pencils, is this the norm? I took a pen anyway and used that, I hope my vote doesn't get discounted because I chose to use ink rather than led.

Have you never actually voted before?
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    Think whatever the result it's going to be intense. I hope No wins the vote but you just never know :(

I hope not. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Not much of one, especially if the system of PR is retained.

True, but those deluded folk don't know this. They are expecting to reap a reward that will be a very long time coming in a country struggling to set up almost every institution from scratch and costing under 200 million pounds, or whatever it is we will be using.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The neds will be sleeping off the buckie-fest by the time its anounced hopefully unless they're taking it in shifts
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    The neds will be sleeping off the buckie-fest by the time its anounced hopefully unless they're taking it in shifts

Could we have that in English please? :)
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    You still have pay days?

I have not come across those for years.

Showing my age :blush:
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    I hope not. :(

They had all the police lined up in Edinburgh so hopefully they will keep people safe. You do get the fanatics on both sides of the arguments though. Worried cause I have family up in Scotland and they themselves are worried about what will happen when the result comes out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member

I hope not but I fear the worst. The extreme and growing wing of the YESSERs won't accept their dream being shattered,
  • Options
    BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just voted YES, they said I couldn't use a pen or take a photo of my card with my X on it. The pencils provided are wax pencils not easy to erase I doubt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you never actually voted before?

Only once, and that was many years ago.. I was never that interested, but I feel that this is a very important one that I had to vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had all the police lined up in Edinburgh so hopefully they will keep people safe. You do get the fanatics on both sides of the arguments though. Worried cause I have family up in Scotland and they themselves are worried about what will happen when the result comes out.

That must be where the Fife police are cause there was none to be seen at our polling station. :)
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

I have family in Scotland too but even if I didn't, I don't want people to get hurt :(
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    I just voted YES, they said I couldn't use a pen or take a photo of my card with my X on it. The pencils provided are wax pencils not easy to erase I doubt.

Did they say why??
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Showing my age :blush:

My first pay day was in 1974, so you are not alone.

Small brown envelope with £11.50 in it. Hand written deductions on the front and brought round in a tray by the payroll clerk.
  • Options
    anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member

I need a valium! Todays the day one way or the other Black Sheep!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I took my pen with me and the people working at the polling stations and who issued me with my ballot paper never said anything about me using my pen. They knew I had a pen cause I had it in the same hand that my voting card was in when I handed the card to them.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    I'm flying up on Wednesday so hopefully the parties will be over by then :)