Tell us your GOTY (Game of the Year)

2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
Forum Member
We done this yet?

Top 3 list as I'm sure narrowing it down to only 1 game will be tough.

I'll just copy and paste what I wrote on another forum:

1) Super Mario Galaxy 2 - I never fully completed the first Galaxy before this game came along but I so enjoyed rinsing every last drip of gameplay I could of this game and I don't often do that. It just has the most amazing gameplay when you get into it. It's like a little toy box of pure fun lol)

2) Donkey Kong Country Returns - Wasn't expecting amazing things from this game but it turned out to be one of the biggest surprises of 2010 for me. An outstanding game which has some of the best 2D gameplay that I've experienced yet. It does get tricky toward the end but you get a lot of satisfaction for your troubles. Amazing audio and gfx. Every self confessed retro gamer needs to play it.

3) GoldenEye 007 - It delivered! Whilst I don't think it's got the same addictiveness as the N64 original (what game has?) it is a superb update that focuses on the strengths of the original and brings it up to date with modern FPS game mechanics. It truly pushes the Wii to the limit with it's amazing gfx and beautiful soundtrack. The difficulty based objectives and varied missions means tons of replays value, a solid online mode and while the motion controls take some serious tweakage to get them feeling good, once you do, the gameplay just shines through. It's the most enjoyable FPS I've played since COD4 on 360/PS3.

Honorable mentions:

Sonic Colours
Red Steel 2
Demon's Souls
No More Heroes 2
Hydro Thunder Hurricane
Super Street Fighter IV
Perfect Dark HD
Sin & Punishment 2
Metroid Other M
Endless Ocean 2
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Monster Hunter Tri
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Halo Reach
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing

What an AMAZING year for gaming 2010 has been! :):)

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) Mass Effect 2 - Not just my GOTY, this is currently also my Game of the Generation. Stunning.

2) Red Dead Redemption - Glorious, gorgeous, immersive Western from Rockstar. Gripped me far more than GTA IV, & made me feel like I was in a Sergio Leone movie.

3) Halo: Reach - Bungie's swansong. Perfect end to the series.

Runners up:

Fable III - Flawed, buggy, disappointing... and yet, and yet... the world of Albion still sucked me in for many, many hours, and I will return to it again.

Alan Wake - It took a few chapters to get me really interested, but once I was hooked I was hooked. Not something I'd ever bother replaying, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mass Effect 2 is the official GOTY.

I agree wholeheartedly with it being so too. Not even Mario wins this one. :)
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Black ops.A little like microsoft,man utd and X factor it seems its cool to hate, but i love nazi zombies and the multiplayer is still fun regardless of its flaws.
  • jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mass Effect 2 I guess. FalloutNV should get a mention, buggy as hell but it moved the franchise back towards Fallout and away from Oblivion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I agree that Mass Effect 2 is the GOTY. This is for the campaign obviously.

Multiplayer GOTY has to be Battlefield Bad Company 2 followed by Halo Reach and Black Ops.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Dead Redemption for me.

Been a bit of a pap year for VG's TBH.
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Assassins Creed Brotherhood
    2. Red Dead Redemption
    3. Gran Turismo 5

Black ops should of been one of the best but it was a massive let down to me.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My GOTY is Uncharted 2, its the only game I can go back to and enjoy playing thru the single player campaign after all this time, currently on crushing. I know this isn't a 2010 game but its better than anything released this year for me.

Runner up would be black ops.

To be totally honest, its being a quiet year for me and gaming.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Retail

Red Dead and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Arcade

Sonic 4 and Super Meat Boy
  • TracerTongTracerTong Posts: 3,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine:
    Borderlands - Never had so much fun in a game as this
    Fallout 3 - Engrossing
    Unreal tournament 99 (PC - My first FPS on my first PC, Loved it)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavy Rain and New Vegas are my favourite games of the year.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Red Dead Redemption for me.

Been a bit of a pap year for VG's TBH.

Same for me, not really the best year but Red Dead is one of the few titles that I really enjoyed.

I did really like Heavy Rain which has some outstanding moments and on the online side of thing Battlefield Bad Company 2 was pretty awesome, but totally let down by the offline side of things.
  • Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its between Heavy Rain and Red Dead Redemption for me.

The only two games I've enjoyed from start to finish this year.
  • TracerTongTracerTong Posts: 3,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa.J wrote: »
    Its between Heavy Rain and Red Dead Redemption for me.

The only two games I've enjoyed from start to finish this year.
    I've RDR, but not started it yet, too hooked on Borderlands atm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Stuff it

UC2
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can people please stop voting for the 2009 GOTY! ;)

1 Just Cause 2
    2 Red Dead Redemption
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    My game's of the year are:

Red dead redemption It has one of the most epic single players I have ever played. Multiplayer is also amazing but the chat facility is a let down.

Medal of honour I think I'm one of the only people who truly loved this game. The graphics may have been a disappointment but the gameplay was faultless imo. I absolutely loved the game, completed it within a day. The only other game I have done this with is MW2.
  • SegaGodSegaGod Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In no order:

Mario galaxy 2
    bayonetta
    mass effect 2

Other great games that are close:

yakuza 3
    super meat boy
    alan wake
    darksiders
    dantes inferno
    silent hill
    monster hunter tri
    metroid other M
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Offline / Single Player: Red Dead Redemption
    Online / Multiplayer: MAG

COD:BO is a close 2nd for MP. Just love the Wager matches even though I get owned everytime.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Dead - even though I still havent finished it yet

Alan Wake - flawed but I found the story engrossing

Having played Mass effect but I gave up half way through when I encountered a very buggy boss battle, but really liked the storyline etc is Mass Effect 2 THAT much better?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    1) Mass Effect 2 - Just absolutely brilliant, completely absorbing from start to finish. All the mission based DLC is utterly fantastic too (especially Lair of the Shadow Broker).

2) Red Dead Redemption - A very close second. BIG SPOILER AHEAD!:
    The death of John is one of the most shocking moments in gaming, and had a real emotional punch to it, which i've never had from a videogame before.

3) Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - Spent over 50 hours on it. Very addictive, although after 50 hours you do realise that it really did need more maps. A problem which should be sorted somewhat by tomorrows VIP Map Pack 7.

I played Borderlands for the first time this year too, but that was released last year. If it'd been released this year it would have replaced BFBC2 in 3rd place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    God of War 3 for me, by quite a distance, looked and played amazing, really enjoyed the story to. Only other decent single player game i really enjoyed was Heavy Rain, although Peace Walker and Ghost of Sparta on the PSP deserve a mention. Been all about multiplayer this year, with Black Ops probably being the best offering, mainly for the zombie mode.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God Of War III, without a shadow of a doubt. Most incredible setpieces in gaming, even makes Uncharted 2 look underwhelming at times, and that's saying something.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    At the moment my favourites are.

1 Mass Effect 2
    2 Fallout New Vegas
    3 Blur
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it's incredibly close between Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Red Dead Redemption. i'll say:

1st: Red Dead Redemption
    2nd: Super Mario Galaxy 2
    3rd: Heavy Rain