I love Doctor Who

stafsstafs Posts: 1,540
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I loved it when I was a child and I love it now as a 45 year old.

Just felt I had to say it as sometimes the negativity gets me down.

Thank you for listening.

Comments

• KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At last...a support group!

I'm 47, love Doctor Who now as much as I loved it is a kid.

I don't see where some of the negativity comes from and that gets me down.

Thanks for listening.

Next...
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Doctor Who
    stafs wrote: »

Thank you for listening.

Oh, so do I. I loved it right from the beginning and I love it now as a * cough cough* year old :) (baby boomer)

Next...:)
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same age as OP, same sentiments. But just because you love something doesn't mean you're blind to it's flaws. But I do bloody love the programme. Negativity? Weeeelll, it's only tinternet.

Frasier has left the building. ;-)
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's good, isn't it?
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,317
    Forum Member
    What a positive thread :o:). At the end of the day, most people on here come on because they love the show. The complaining can be annoying when it's about an aspect you enjoyed just as it can be annoying when you think you've just seen the worst thing ever and people are telling you it was great, but even the moaning show's the love. We only moan because we love it so much and want it to be the best it can be. Does feel ten times better when you can come on and say 'I really enjoyed that episode' and recently that has more been the case.
  • ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am nearly 70 and started with Doctor Who with William Hartnell.

I still love Doctor Who..

I know there are flaws.There are flaws in many dramas on television, but one accepts them.

I personally cannot stand the dissecting of every scene and line...It really is quite pathetic and childish...Lets us enjoy DoctorWho for what the programme is...good entertainment.

I agree there is far too much negativity.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Add me to the list.

I was nine when the first episode aired (I'm very very old ...) and I loved it then, and have loved it ever since.

Sometimes the sheer negativity and trolling on this site is really depressing, and it is sad that some so-called 'fans' do not seeming appreciate what we have here.

Let's keep the positivity of this thread going - it is a refreshing change.:)
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww fook it...mu name is P2O and i love Doctor Who too, ever since Pertwee!
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    According to my late father, I was practically hypnotised by it from the second it started in 1963 - a few days before my third birthday. From there on, I had the books and the toys and one of my abiding memories is of going to school and spending the whole day in my Dalek suit (a moulded "head" and an incredibly smelly PVC "skirt" - which I thought was fantastic)

I vaguely remember Bill but from Patrick onwards, I was totally in love with the show and playing Doctor Who was an every day thing in the playground. Daleks was one of the first things I learned to draw reasonably well and by the time I was 10, a friend and I were writing and drawing out own DW comic strips and passing them around school (no computers or photocopiers then).

I lost interest almost immediately when Colin Baker joined - partly cos I couldn't deal with him and partly cos I discovered alcohol and girls at around the same time. I tried watching Sylvester cos I genuinely thought he was the perfect choice for the role but it was even worse.

When the TV movie first showed, it was an "event" - phone off the hook, take away curry and bottle of wine - bear in mind I was 36 then - and still a kid.

When they said the show was coming back in 2005, I assumed we would get a hip, cool and annoying TV show for hyperactive kids - and when they announced Billie Piper as the companion, I "knew" it was not going to be for me this time around. Even so, sat down to watch the first episode and two things hit me - that amazing version of the theme tune and Ecclestone's incredible Doctor wearing normal street clothes. Half way through that episode, my face was hurting from smiling so much.

Since then, the show has been incredible. Tennant was gob-smackingly good off screen as well as on and Matt - my all time favourite in the role - was a force of nature. Capaldi is new and has potential but so far, I'd mark his card as "good do better".

As an adult, I've felt no urge to go back and watch the "classic" series. I have a few "toys" - radio controlled Daleks and K-9, sonic, USB Tardis and the obvious DW mug - and couple of other bits - hardly a "collection". My real interest is in the latest episode and the current series.

I love science fiction and Doctor Who started my in that. Aside from the fun it's given me from watching it, it's thanks to Doctor Who that I have had over 50 years of pleasure from sci-fi - particularly from books. It also contributed hugely to my life-long quest to keep learning.

As a child, I was whipped away and bunged into children's homes. The Doctor - along with a few other fictional characters - were my friends and my role models. He is family and I consider myself lucky that I chose a "good man" to emulate - even if he is fictional.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    I loved Doctor who until the Ninth
    I loved the Adventures and companions plus the enemies, it was always excellent
    I watch the repeats on Horror plus rewatched the Seventh and was reminded of how amazing it is
  • jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to my late father, I was practically hypnotised by it from the second it started in 1963 - a few days before my third birthday. From there on, I had the books and the toys and one of my abiding memories is of going to school and spending the whole day in my Dalek suit (a moulded "head" and an incredibly smelly PVC "skirt" - which I thought was fantastic)

I vaguely remember Bill but from Patrick onwards, I was totally in love with the show and playing Doctor Who was an every day thing in the playground. Daleks was one of the first things I learned to draw reasonably well and by the time I was 10, a friend and I were writing and drawing out own DW comic strips and passing them around school (no computers or photocopiers then).

I lost interest almost immediately when Colin Baker joined - partly cos I couldn't deal with him and partly cos I discovered alcohol and girls at around the same time. I tried watching Sylvester cos I genuinely thought he was the perfect choice for the role but it was even worse.

When the TV movie first showed, it was an "event" - phone off the hook, take away curry and bottle of wine - bear in mind I was 36 then - and still a kid.

When they said the show was coming back in 2005, I assumed we would get a hip, cool and annoying TV show for hyperactive kids - and when they announced Billie Piper as the companion, I "knew" it was not going to be for me this time around. Even so, sat down to watch the first episode and two things hit me - that amazing version of the theme tune and Ecclestone's incredible Doctor wearing normal street clothes. Half way through that episode, my face was hurting from smiling so much.

Since then, the show has been incredible. Tennant was gob-smackingly good off screen as well as on and Matt - my all time favourite in the role - was a force of nature. Capaldi is new and has potential but so far, I'd mark his card as "good do better".

As an adult, I've felt no urge to go back and watch the "classic" series. I have a few "toys" - radio controlled Daleks and K-9, sonic, USB Tardis and the obvious DW mug - and couple of other bits - hardly a "collection". My real interest is in the latest episode and the current series.

I love science fiction and Doctor Who started my in that. Aside from the fun it's given me from watching it, it's thanks to Doctor Who that I have had over 50 years of pleasure from sci-fi - particularly from books. It also contributed hugely to my life-long quest to keep learning.

As a child, I was whipped away and bunged into children's homes. The Doctor - along with a few other fictional characters - were my friends and my role models. He is family and I consider myself lucky that I chose a "good man" to emulate - even if he is fictional.

This post - and this thread - is the perfect way to end the weekend. I too love Doctor Who - warts and all :)
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great to read all these positive posts, good thread, jolly good stuff :)

I'm only 36 (or 37, I forget) . Love Doctor Who :)
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fear has been a constant companion in my life. But luckily so has the Doctor. I love the show and every incarnation of that silly Timelord and always will. Even at its worst it makes me happy. And at its best? It has changed me and the way I think about the world. And I hope made me a better person. Just a television show? Not a bit of it. Its far more important than that.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently laid in bed listening to dr who, on 4 extra.....

Paul mcgann, my fav.....:D
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I'm 54 and still love it! Nice to hear that some of us 'Oldies' are still watching it and can appreciate the old and the new!!
    I loved the old series (warts and all!!) but I love the way they have re-produced it - and kept it (more or less) in the same way as the original series. Must admit - my favourite Doctor of the new series has been David Tennant - my favourite past one was Pat Troughton!
    Peter Capaldi is doing OK anyway.....hope he lasts longer than Chris!!:)
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once in a while there comes a Happy Thread. Thanks for this one. :)
    Forum Member
    Once in a while there comes a Happy Thread. Thanks for this one. :)

Yay to this! No slagging off or slating anyone - let's enjoy!!:):)
    Forum Member
    Talking of happy - I had a lazy Sunday afternoon, all alone today and relaxed on the settee watching the whole of 'Keys of Marinus' on TV with a bottle of wine! What a splendid afternooon it was! I had some cheese and jacobs cream crackers too! (I'm posh you know!) :) What a delightful story it was - cheap and cheerful! Susan screamed a lot, the hunky guy flashed his legs a lot, and Ian came to the rescue...etc...etc....all good fun - I love those old B&W stories sometimes! :):)
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talking of happy - I had a lazy Sunday afternoon, all alone today and relaxed on the settee watching the whole of 'Keys of Marinus' on TV with a bottle of wine! What a splendid afternooon it was! I had some cheese and jacobs cream crackers too! (I'm posh you know!) :) What a delightful story it was - cheap and cheerful! Susan screamed a lot, the hunky guy flashed his legs a lot, and Ian came to the rescue...etc...etc....all good fun - I love those old B&W stories sometimes! :):)

Seriously, it's hard to beat Keys of Marinus. It's several stories in one, psychodrama, courtroom drama, male and female leg-flashing, travel dials, wobbly planet set, screaming jungle, acid lake ... and all by Terry Nation! :cool:
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stafs wrote: »

Thank you for listening.

Thank you for a wonderful thread. I do love the show as well and I am 46. Long live The Doctor! Long live Doctor Who! :):):)
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to see a positive thread like this for once!

I've been a fan for over 30 years now, and like most others, went through the hard times when we had no show in the 90's. There was a period, even after the TV Movie, where I thought it was never coming back. But here we are, nearly ten years into New Who and it's still going strong.

What I love most above the show is it's constant evolving, not just from one Era to the next but from one Season/Series to the next. The Pertwee and Tom Baker Era's are clear examples of this, being very different from the beginning to the end of their respective era's. The latter I always find enjoyable watching through because of the many changes in style, companions, violent, then humorous content right through to the late change of style when JNT took over for his last Season.

It's also the fact we have a huge list of Doctors, Companions, Monsters and other characters who we love or love to hate. Unlike Minky(this isn't a criticism by the way) I embrace the history of Doctor Who and will watch as much Classic Who as I can. Such a show with a huge backlog of stories to watch(or listen to) should never be ignored in my view. Very few shows have as much of back history as Doctor Who, and I love watching it.

I too have spent a lazy Sunday watching the first half of the McCoy Era and Paradise Towers aside, I embrace even the not so good stories from this period which are good in their own right, as well as those clunkers from other era's.

So yes, roll on the next fifty years. I may not be around to see them all, I may still not enjoy every story in the future but will always love the show nevertheless.

:)
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 38 I do not watch much TV, But after growing up watching Dr. Who with my parents, I now enjoy watching it now with my children.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I love the show and always will. Even at it's worst I love it. I do criticise sometimes, but only ever because I want the show to be the best it can be. And this year i feel like it is coming very, very close to that. Capaldi, and most of his episodes, have been superb so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    I'm 38 I do not watch much TV, But after growing up watching Dr. Who with my parents, I now enjoy watching it now with my children.

It's a good feeling isn't it? I don't often get to actually watch the show with my daughter, and she still doesn't watch the scariest episodes, but it's always wonderful when she tallks to me about how much she enjoyed an episode and which moments she likes best. I took her to the Doctor Who Experience and was pleasantly surprised by how curious she was about the older episodes (up to then she'd only seen the episodes from after the revival) and when we got home she asked me to put on The Daleks. Watching William Hartnell with her was brilliant.
  • LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Who makes me happy, and I think it will forever. Even the episodes I've found silly have offered something wonderful to me. There's a spark to the show that I don't feel you get with any other program. The term 'program' doesn't really seem to fit it for me, however. Because it feels like more than that. I often get laughed at because I feel Doctor Who is actually important to the core of my personality. It's a constant that's always changing, how can that not have resonance? I'm 22 so unfortunately am too young to have experienced Doctor Who in the early years, yet even watching the classic series', there is just something so special about it.
    I'm unwaveringly defensive of Doctor Who, and I wouldn't be any other way!