The Gift

JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
Forum Member
✭✭
Just watched this today, and thought it very good! even managed to drop the F-bomb out loud in the cinema!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3IiZU9JBuE

Good spoiler free review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG9KkMH5MuA

Comments

• RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A thoroughly enjoyable psychological thriller. Just returned from seeing it.

The entire cinema screamed at one point :D
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much better than the trailer suggested, which made it look like a hokey revenge thriller but turned out to be much more intelligent and unpredictable.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,260
    Forum Member
    Very good film indeed.
  • ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to hear these reviews as I am planning on seeing this soon. I thought it could be a little predictable/trashy but it's good to hear it's not.

By the looks of the trailer it is filmed in the same house as Knock Knock which I saw not that long ago, so it must be a popular filming location. I recognised the house in the trailer instantly (providing I'm correct!). I wonder if it's used solely for filming! A lovely house though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it but the ending wasn't good, very problematic.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Written, produced and directed by Joel Edgerton and starring Joel Edgerton, Jason Bateman, Rebecca Hall and Allison Tolman.

To me this film was a throwback to the films of the 90's a la Single White Female, Sleeping With The Enemy, Shattered, Pacific Heights, Jennifer 8 and that sort. Those kind of psychological thriller types. That's the type of film this is and it's successfully done.

It's decently acted by all 3 main leads, decently directed and the trailer does not give the game away at all. You think it's about a guy who stalks this couple.....well i'll leave it there but that is not what this film is about. It also has 2 jump scares which surprised everyone, at least in the screening i was in and they were very effective.

I have to sort of agree about the ending, it doesn't quite pack the punch it should so therefore doesn't quite land for me, but it does make you leave the cinema thinking. The closing shot is very good.

Def worth a watch if you're after something different and low-scale.
    ratty0 wrote: »
    By the looks of the trailer it is filmed in the same house as Knock Knock which I saw not that long ago, so it must be a popular filming location. I recognised the house in the trailer instantly (providing I'm correct!). I wonder if it's used solely for filming! A lovely house though.

I've seen Knock Knock and it's not filmed in the same house at all. The houses are nothing alike!
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the ending was fine, difficult to imagine how else it could have turned out.
    Forum Member
    The problem is that the question a film asks its audience at the end shouldn't be wether the main female character was raped or not.
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Question: how do you make spoiler quotes?
    indiekid76 wrote: »
    The problem is that the question a film asks its audience at the end shouldn't be wether the main female character was raped or not.

You'd rather not be left in any doubt as to who the father was then? I think being an ambiguous ending you can decide for yourself either way, plenty of films have ambiguous endings dont they?

there does seem to be some debate about it though
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Gift-Ending-Debate-Whose-Gift-It-Anyway-77737-p2.html
    Forum Member
    This article explains the problem in more depth: http://www.themarysue.com/the-gift-twist-ending/
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this last night. Interesting film with a decent ending. There were two moments where the whole audience jumped!
  • gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    I feel like for me this month has been pretty slow for films (especially for me cause I like to go once/twice a week) so I went to watch this knowing it wasn't my sort of film. It looked the best of a bad bunch but I ended up being pleasantly surprised, it was actually a pretty good film. The trailer was either really good at hiding the true plot or incredibly misleading about what the film was about. I was expecting a revengey horror type thing.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good film much better than the Tom Cruise carp, guess which will take most money.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel like for me this month has been pretty slow for films (especially for me cause I like to go once/twice a week) so I went to watch this knowing it wasn't my sort of film. It looked the best of a bad bunch but I ended up being pleasantly surprised, it was actually a pretty good film. The trailer was either really good at hiding the true plot or incredibly misleading about what the film was about. I was expecting a revengey horror type thing.

Same here, I expected it to be more horror type of film
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    Same here, I expected it to be more horror type of film

I'm disappointed they didn't have the confidence to market the film honestly as it is actually better than the "home invasion" thriller it has been sold as.

The Falling is a similar case, a good film but ridiculously billed as a "horror" on the DVD cover which will put off those who would enjoy it and annoy those getting a very different film than they are being led to expect.