Stacey Soloman and Shaun Ryder to rush release Fairytale of New York

DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,962
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Not sure how true this is, but they would need to be quick.

Couldnt be Xmas Number One surely:D

Comments

• conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    would be a scream if it was.... and they are certainly the best two to do it !!!
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This song cannot and must not be covered. EVER. :mad: Christ. :mad:
  • Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Desperate for fame
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seems to be all over the internet, if they were a week earlier I would have it down for Xmas number 1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite Christmas song, Ever
  • jules4stujules4stu Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    its already been covered by ronan keating:rolleyes:
  • RevenReven Posts: 2,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stacey's a good singer but...Shaun Ryder??? Not too happy about the idea of it. Also, nothing will ever beat the original.
  • GlinnyGlinny Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be great if they did and it got to No 1.
    Imagine Simon Cowell;s face if IAACGMOOH beats X Factor for the Christmas No.1 with Stacey being an ex-contestant of his show - Genius :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay yay I know I probably wasn't the first to suggest it but when she won I got it retweeted quite a few times people love the idea, shane mgowan?! Only really spoke he didn't really sing and I couldn't think of a more apt pairing to do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's going to have a chance of getting close to an Xmas #1 it will has to top the charts before this Sunday. A very, very short space of time.
  • memeromemero Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sounds like it would be frigging aweful
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why cover it when the original is so good? It'd be a poor man's karaoke version, and I like Stacey. Shameless profiteering if it goes ahead. Seems a bit late now though, unless it's released like, tomorrow, it has no chance for the Christmas charts.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are they going to manage the Irish accents? Fairytale would sound a bit weird sung in an English accent.....it's essentially an Irish folk song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    This song cannot and must not be covered. EVER. :mad: Christ. :mad:

Since its original release, "Fairytale of New York" has been covered by numerous artists, including:

Christy Moore on Smoke and Strong Whiskey and ‎Live at the Point
    Sinéad O'Connor
    Damien Dempsey
    KT Tunstall and Ed Harcourt (on the Have Yourself a Very KT Christmas EP)
    Third Eye Blind
    Razorlight
    Dustin the Turkey with Dervla Kirwan
    The Irish Tenors (who leave out some of the racier verses)
    Karine Polwart
    Sven Wollter and Lotta Engberg
    No Use For A Name
    Erik Petersen of Mischief Brew
    Jesse Malin
    Stars
    Dustin Kensrue, This version is sung solely from the perspective of McGowan's character, with the second verse altered and the third entirely rewritten
    Ronan Keating and Moya Brennan, the word "****" is written out of this version.
    Amy MacDonald
    Florence Welch and Billy Bragg
    The City on Film
    Bob Schneider
    Forever the Sickest Kids featuring Sally Gunnell
    Pilot Speed featuring Lindi Ortega
    :rolleyes:
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reven wrote: »
    Stacey's a good singer but...Shaun Ryder??? Not too happy about the idea of it. Also, nothing will ever beat the original.

You mean Shane McGowan in the original was a good singer?
    Have you heard the original?

You think that the male vocals of the original would be beyond Shaun's abilities?
  • RevenReven Posts: 2,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean Shane McGowan in the original was a good singer?
    Have you heard the original?

You think that the male vocals of the original would be beyond Shaun's abilities?

Yes, it's my favourite Christmas song, and Shane is a good singer and puts a lot of character into his vocal, which is a lot of the appeal. I don't think Shaun would do Shane's part justice and would just be too cheesy. I don't think Stacey would do Kirsty MacColl's part justice, either, if I'm being honest.
  • DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reven wrote: »
    Yes, it's my favourite Christmas song, and Shane is a good singer and puts a lot of character into his vocal, which is a lot of the appeal. I don't think Shaun would do Shane's part justice and would just be too cheesy. I don't think Stacey would do Kirsty MacColl's part justice, either, if I'm being honest.

Agree with you there, Stacey no match for Kirsty MacColl at any time. However there are 2 singers who could do it justice, Sinead and Malachi as they sang a verse in Fame Academy. I'll stick with them and the original which I've got. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrlimbo wrote: »
    Since its original release, "Fairytale of New York" has been covered by numerous artists, including: ...

Mary Byrne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTJd5WdKmHk
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read they are doing it for charity which can only be a good thing.

It won't be as good as The Pogues version but it'll be fun and raise money - why be precious about it?
  • River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ah, they should do it! perfect pairing for it :)
  • flossieblossomflossieblossom Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    It was announced on the radio this morning.

I love the original, so they have a lot to live up to for me.
    Good luck anyway....particularly if it's for charity.
  • jez37jez37 Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't wait to hear this (if it's true). I think it would be great. Love Stacey and love love love Shaun.
  • GothamGotham Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be interested to see if Stacey can do the quicker bits, and convincingly at that too. Ryder shouldn't have a problem doing Shane's part. :rolleyes: :p
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would be fun to hear them singing it, but they have to do Irish accents, it just wouldn't sound right otherwise! The whole style of the song is Traditional Irish folk and I'm not sure it would work with Mancunian and Essex accents, lol!
  • GothamGotham Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    I think it would be fun to hear them singing it, but they have to do Irish accents, it just wouldn't sound right otherwise! The whole style of the song is Traditional Irish folk and I'm not sure it would work with Mancunian and Essex accents, lol!

Nah, as an Irish person I wouldn't want to hear that, I'm so sick of people trying to do carbon copies of the song, they should just stamp their own style on it and see how it goes. :) It could be a car crash but it also could be genius! :D