Songs that were not big hits but are still very well known

Comments

• WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Stairway To Heaven" by Led Zeppelin.

Arguably one of the greatest and well known songs of all time, never even released as a single.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Hall & Oates version of 'She's gone' limped to #42 in late October 1976.

At least it did better than I thought. Thanks.

Classic ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVLfzYkM6Lo
  • spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate Bush had a couple of singles that missed the top 10 that I'd argue are some of her signature hits.

Wow, Hounds Of Love, This Woman's Work..
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't Stop Believing famously didn't get very high in the UK charts, but it has been played on radio and disco's for years. The Sopranos and Glee eventually made it get top10 though.

That's a strange one because it appears that you either know that song inside out or have never heard it before in your life.

I'd never heard of it when Joe did it on XF and had to google when Cheryl said how well known it was. We discussed it at work afterwards and not a single person knew the song. yet, on here, people were talking like it was one of the best known songs ever
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Three from Robert Palmer:

Bad Case of Loving You (61): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNLfQkHQlE8

Johnny and Mary (44): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INPHeK05bDA

Looking For Clues (33): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dNRNjDhFqk
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    That's a strange one because it appears that you either know that song inside out or have never heard it before in your life.

I'd never heard of it when Joe did it on XF and had to google when Cheryl said how well known it was. We discussed it at work afterwards and not a single person knew the song. yet, on here, people were talking like it was one of the best known songs ever

Wasn't that because by the time Joe sang it on XF it had been a big hit that year thanks to Glee?
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »

I first heard it after watching a 'top 100 songs of 80s' type programme years ago on VH1, which was clearly made for American VH1 and they had rated it the best song of the decade...that made me head online and find out more about it.

But I agree, it had a strange you either love it or have never heard it thing going on for years...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    On The Radio by Donna Summer only reached #32, yet a lot of people knew about it before Martine McCutcheon covered it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two Princes by Spin Doctors wasn't very popular when it was originally released in 1991, however the band re-released their Pocket Full Of Kryptonite album a couple of years later and it was a massive hit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Ain't No Sunshine" by Bill Withers only got to Number 40 in the UK.....
  • LamaestraLamaestra Posts: 1,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Born To Run' by Bruce Springsteen American #23 British #16.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    I'd say Tragedy was their most memorable song (even though it's a cover).
    ... for all the wrong reasons. Generally engenders homicodal urges in any BeeGees fan. And fans of decent music...

YMMV...
  • bathlampbathlamp Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way #38
    Peter Gabriel - Shock The Monkey #58
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »
    Wasn't that because by the time Joe sang it on XF it had been a big hit that year thanks to Glee?

Joe singing it on X Factor and it being used on Glee happened pretty much at the same time (within a few weeks of each other) I think.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    WelshNige wrote: »
    "Stairway To Heaven" by Led Zeppelin.

Arguably one of the greatest and well known songs of all time, never even released as a single.....

And similarly, "Money" by Pink Floyd. Never a singe either,
    yet it's one of the three Floyd songs almost everyone
    knows (the others being "See Emily Play" and "Another
    Brick in the Wall (Part 1)).
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of these examples came off top-selling albums though. If you bought the album, you wouldn't have bought the singles. Not in my day, anyway ....
  • NeonopticNeonoptic Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heather Small - Proud
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of these examples came off top-selling albums though. If you bought the album, you wouldn't have bought the singles. Not in my day, anyway ....

I think the reverse is true, back in my day I'd buy the album AND the single, all of my singles collection comes from the 70's and 80's.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the reverse is true, back in my day I'd buy the album AND the single, all of my singles collection comes from the 70's and 80's.....

I didn't, nor people I knew. Sometimes we might buy a single if it was an extended 12" version and different from the album version, that started to happen more in the 80s.

but generally, if someone bought, say, 'Rumours', they didn't buy the singles as well, and the figures tend to bear that theory out.

I should say, I'm mostly talking about the massive sellers like 'Rumours' that everybody seemed to have a copy of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't, nor people I knew. Sometimes we might buy a single if it was an extended 12" version and different from the album version, that started to happen more in the 80s.

but generally, if someone bought, say, 'Rumours', they didn't buy the singles as well, and the figures tend to bear that theory out.

I should say, I'm mostly talking about the massive sellers like 'Rumours' that everybody seemed to have a copy of.

But how do you explain examples like "Don't You Want Me" by the Human League, released after the "Dare" album but one of the biggest selling singles ever in the UK?
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    "Oh Yeah" by Yello. Never released as a single in the UK yet became well known
    through "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and the Simpsons' Duffman character.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bryan Adams - Summer of '69 (#42 in 1985)

Alanis Morrisette - You oughta know (#22 in 1995)

Velvelettes - 'Needle in a haystack' & 'He was really saying something' (Never UK hits)

Eric Carmen - 'Hungry Eyes' [from Dirty Dancing & staple Heart FM favourite] (#82 in 1988)

Beach Boys - 'Surfin' USA' (#34 in 1963)

Summer of 69:Im an old fart..... I remember the 80's.Im sure it got higher than that, although not TOO high in the charts.

I think it got re-released a 2nd time and did better??

Incidentally the Waterboys "Whole of the Moon" got tosomething stupid like No 30 the first time it was released, it became cult song and was re-released and got to No 2.

I think Aha's "Take on Me" was a hit the 2nd time round too!
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as i'm aware none of these made the top 40 in their original form.

Barry Manilow - Copacabana
    Commitments - Mustang Sally
    Contours - Do You Love Me
    Doobie Brothers - Long Train Running
    Etta James - At Last
    Gipsy Kings - Bamboleo
    Johnny Cash - Ring Of Fire
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama
    Meatloaf - Paradise By The Dashboard Light
    Rick James - Superfreak
    Sir Mix-A-Lot - Baby Got Back

as mentioned Brown Eyed Girl and Summer Of 69 are probably the 2 that get played at mobile disco's the most that didn't hit the top 40

The highlighted ones I can confirm never made a splash in the UK charts the first time round.

Superfreak and Baby Got Back were known about as "American hits" but didnt make an impact here.

The GypsyKings song?Didnt even register on the scene till YEARS after its initial release...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But how do you explain examples like "Don't You Want Me" by the Human League, released after the "Dare" album but one of the biggest selling singles ever in the UK?

I shan't try to. There are always exceptions. I was just making a general point.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kate Bush had a couple of singles that missed the top 10 that I'd argue are some of her signature hits.

Wow, Hounds Of Love, This Woman's Work..

I agree

This Woman's work always tend to be played in the Child cruelty adverts and usually appears in a few american dramas at a rather sad/bad time in the show.