What's all the fuss with going abroad?

Comments

• ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Biblical disaster waiting to happen. Don't over egg it man. Emotive language or what.

Sorry, that's just how I roll :kitty:
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Best thing? Getting out of this miserable sh--hole

Looking out the window now makes me want to book a flight

It's not easy to move abroad I accept, but when people say these sort of things, I say to myself, well why don't you go and do it then. UK population -1. A result, IMO.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not easy to move abroad, but when people say these sort of things, I say to myself, well why don't you go and do it then. UK population -1. A result, IMO.

This thread is about holidays, not moving abroad
    Forum Member

Yes, I'm fully aware of that, but if you dislike the UK so much, why do you still live here?
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm fully aware of that, but if you dislike the UK so much, why do you still live here?

I love this miserable sh--hole. Also love getting out of it and going somewhere nice and sunny
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is it ? No mention of holiday in opening post.

People travel abroad for many reasons. Work, holiday, visiting family and friends.

I'm sitting in Barbados at the moment visiting family for Christmas and new year.

My family are here working.
    Forum Member
    I love this miserable sh--hole. Also love getting out of it and going somewhere nice and sunny

Fair enough then. Can't argue with that.

I know, everybody including me at times, slags off the UK, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. This country rocks in spite of all its quirkiness.

ETA. I don't suffer from grass is greener syndrome.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emma-C wrote: »
    I am not keen traveller... does anyone else feel the same or am I the only one?

Not sure what to do to get out of the rut!

Im not keen either, I dislike being far from home, we are going to Wales this year on holiday, can't say im looking forward to it.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boofie wrote: »
    I just like a bit of sunshine, good food (burger and chips :p) and something fun to do. Disney World is the best holiday ever, but I'm also happy to splash around in a pool by day and get drunk by night.

Ah, that's where we differ. I prefer to get drunk by day then splash around in the pool by night :D
  • live & let livelive & let live Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    lots of people dislike uk intensely but cant leave due to commitment. I have a friend who is desperate to leave but has a grown up daughter who is almost blind and she gets no help from anyone except my friend. . theres many reasons people are tied. fortunately for me, I wasn't tied so I left and ive never been so happy.
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me,it definitely comes down to the weather.

If we could be guaranteed great weather between April-September I think I would be tempted to book somewhere in this country.

I know weather can't be guaranteed anywhere but there is a much better chance of it abroad.

I was in Tenerife at the start of December and it was as hot as a glorious August day here.

I was in Blackpool for Christmas. Still had a great time,but it was freezing and wet!
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    You have to get there first. And traveling by air is very, very stressful: arranging to get to the airport, getting up ridiculously early, worrying about missing a flight when stuck in traffic, finding a space in the giant, nearly full car park, at 5am waiting endlessly for the shuttle bus wondering if it's ever going to turn up (one eventually does, but drives past without stopping!).

At the airport, finding where you need to go, then finding massive queues for everything, even just buying coffee (and wondering why you need to dig out your boarding pass just for that!). Then waiting for gate numbers to be displayed, which involves staring at a screen because no announcement is made. And you haven't even boarded yet!

When you eventually make it abroad, the number one concern is keeping your passport safe (otherwise you might as well be on Mars for the chances you have of ever getting back), second is keeping hold of return tickets, credit cards, cash and mobile phone. Then trying to avoid getting ripped off with rental cars and accommodation and meals and ...

(Anyway, you get the idea.)

Sounds like you might be better off staying at home if you manage to turn a holiday into that much stress.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't an all inclusive list. And you are projecting too much, as in reading too much into what I posted. I'm fully aware that the other places you've listed are relatively safe in terms of of personal security, but not in terms of the other reasons I listed above, e.g. dodgy creatures etc. I'm not an idiot you know.

I'm not being funny but a country having "dodgy creatures" seems a bit of a poor excuse not to go. For example Australia has nasty spiders but when you look at the statistics spider bites aren't that common and there hasn't been a death from a spider bite since 1979. You're actually probably more likely to get mauled by a dog walking in the street in your home town.

Just seems a bit of an over-reaction. Yeah by all means don't go holidaying in war-zones or where you're likely to get kidnapped by terrorists but the vast majority of places are OK.
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to get there first. And traveling by air is very, very stressful: arranging to get to the airport, getting up ridiculously early, worrying about missing a flight when stuck in traffic, finding a space in the giant, nearly full car park, at 5am waiting endlessly for the shuttle bus wondering if it's ever going to turn up (one eventually does, but drives past without stopping!).

At the airport, finding where you need to go, then finding massive queues for everything, even just buying coffee (and wondering why you need to dig out your boarding pass just for that!). Then waiting for gate numbers to be displayed, which involves staring at a screen because no announcement is made. And you haven't even boarded yet!

When you eventually make it abroad, the number one concern is keeping your passport safe (otherwise you might as well be on Mars for the chances you have of ever getting back), second is keeping hold of return tickets, credit cards, cash and mobile phone. Then trying to avoid getting ripped off with rental cars and accommodation and meals and ...

One of the best holidays I've ever had was a tour of Europe. Luxury coach, Eurostar and ferry. No stress, everything done for you. Try Trafalgar Tours.
    DinkyDoo wrote: »
    Im not keen either, I dislike being far from home, we are going to Wales this year on holiday, can't say im looking forward to it.

Wales is fine, but only for a couple of days at a time
  • sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    Me either :cry:

Or me. I'm recently single, and all my friends have no money, so if I want to go somewhere cool on holiday this year it looks like I'll have to go alone. I want to go to Japan, or Thailand, or South Africa but I'm very apprehensive about going myself. I went on holiday alone a couple of years ago, to Toronto, New York then Vegas and I felt quite lonely to be honest. Although Vegas was reasonable good fun even on your own.
  • Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Boofie.

People who go 'travelling' invariably only do it so they can bang on about it for years to come and delight in putting loads of photos on facebook and similar all with a 'look at me' air about them.

Not me, I travel because I genuinely have an interest in experiencing new places. I don't go on Facebook at all either.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Sounds like you might be better off staying at home if you manage to turn a holiday into that much stress.
    I've done that too: the alarm going off at 4am for my 6am flight. I just turned over and went back to sleep! The best £30 I ever spent.
    oldhag wrote: »
    One of the best holidays I've ever had was a tour of Europe. Luxury coach, Eurostar and ferry. No stress, everything done for you. Try Trafalgar Tours.

I used to like touring Europe by car and staying at campsites. You didn't need to book anything exactly or the exact date you were coming back. If you missed a ferry, you just got the next one. (But even here ferry companies now like you book in advance and commit yourself to a cheap fixed departure time that you dare not miss, or pay a lot more for a flexible one). Why?
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    I'm not a fan of going on holiday. If I do it has to have some point to it (accompanying someone, visiting someone ect) not just luxury. I'm not really interested in travelling thousands of miles to just walk around, sit around and eat. I'm not a big fan of hot weather either.
    If it's up to me I just stay home and use the money to start a new hobby or something.
  • linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulsh1 wrote: »
    For me,it definitely comes down to the weather.

If we could be guaranteed great weather between April-September I think I would be tempted to book somewhere in this country.

I know weather can't be guaranteed anywhere but there is a much better chance of it abroad.

I was in Tenerife at the start of December and it was as hot as a glorious August day here.

I was in Blackpool for Christmas. Still had a great time,but it was freezing and wet!

It's not so much the sun/weather that sends me abroad as the cost. My daughter and I are going to Chicago later this year, five star hotel for five nights, not cheap but not too bad either. I also had a look at a small cottage in the Cotswolds for a week at the end of August and the price was £1600!! That's without travel costs etc. Chicago wasn't very much more than that.
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ETA. I don't suffer from grass is greener syndrome.
    Understatement. From your posts in this thread sounds like your ideal holiday destination is your back garden.:o
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member

None of this is even a problem.

If you've got an early flight, stay the night before at an airport hotel (there are plenty of cheap ones). Many airlines allow you to check your bags in the night before and check in online so you don't have to wait in queues anymore.

Just keep your boarding pass in your wallet along with your cards and money, so when it comes to paying, it's all in the same place.

Stick your passport in the room safe or with security at the hotel.

Sorted.

travelling is easier and easier these days.

But then I am quite biased, I love airports and flying.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to see different countries, it's a big world out there and so many wonderful experiences to have that you can't have here. Each to their own and all that, but I don't get it.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »

If you've got an early flight, stay the night before at an airport hotel (there are plenty of cheap ones). Many airlines allow you to check your bags in the night before and check in online so you don't have to wait in queues anymore.

Just keep your boarding pass in your wallet along with your cards and money, so when it comes to paying, it's all in the same place.

Sorted.

travelling is easier and easier these days.

But then I am quite biased, I love airports and flying.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to see different countries, it's a big world out there and so many wonderful experiences to have that you can't have here. Each to their own and all that, but I don't get it.
    Absolutely!

I have looked at many a photo of the Grand Canyon, but I doubt any of it compares to being there and seeing it in all it's majesty. The Spruce Goose, I could describe that until I'm blue in the face, nothing could ever explain what it's like to actually see it, be near it, it's just impossible to explain.
  • TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish You Were Here is the only sun I get.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    But suppose your passport is lost, mislaid, damaged, or actually stolen? (And I don't have a British passport, making it even harder.)
    On low-cost flights the boarding card is an A4 sheet. One tip for others: when printing out boarding passes, print out copies for use in the shops, perhaps half-size ones, that can be kept in the same casual place you might keep a small amount of cash, where the consequences of any loss are minimal. Although I never remember doing that myself. (I still don't know why I need a boarding pass to buy a bar of chocolate.)
    You have to get to the hotel first! That's if you use them in the first place (I usually stay on campsites or in hostels.). But also, sometimes you need to have a passport with you. I think people should be allowed to have duplicate Id documents, with one as a spare.
    I've done enough traveling to have an idea what other places are like (And these days, Google Streetview is saving me a lot of money and a lot of trouble!) If you look behind the holiday facade, it's all the same: people struggling to make a living like everywhere else. And if you do get more sunshine, that's usually balanced by more mosquitoes!
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    I'm not being funny but a country having "dodgy creatures" seems a bit of a poor excuse not to go. For example Australia has nasty spiders but when you look at the statistics spider bites aren't that common and there hasn't been a death from a spider bite since 1979. You're actually probably more likely to get mauled by a dog walking in the street in your home town.

Just seems a bit of an over-reaction. Yeah by all means don't go holidaying in war-zones or where you're likely to get kidnapped by terrorists but the vast majority of places are OK.

However, I gave a number of other reasons in addition to the ones you cite.

I've traveled a lot around England and Wales over the years, plus France, Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, Belgium, The Netherlands, Austria.

But, I don't feel the need to justify myself for not wanting to explore further afield, i.e. outside of Europe.

I'm not saying you shouldn't necessarily go to anywhere exotic, but right now I don't feel the need to do so. So, if a two week holiday to North Korea floats your boat, go for it.
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    Understatement. From your posts in this thread sounds like your ideal holiday destination is your back garden.

I don't how why I should even ask this, but how did you come to that conclusion.