Mad Men - Series 1 repeat - BBC2 Sunday Nights

NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Heads up for those who want to watch this from the very start.
The first 2 episodes are on BBC2 tonight at 11pm.

I've heard good things about this show and it has 3 seasons so far.

Comments

• PPIPPI Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    on bbc hd aswell

worth the watch if only for the breast shots of miss sexy redhead :p
  • DxfatassDxfatass Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the notice, I've been meaning to give this a go :cool:
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking back, I never realised how different the pilot was to the rest of the show. Then again, this is common.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up. I saw some of the second series and thought it was good but didn't make a determined attempt to watch it because I'd missed the first series. It is taping as I type.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only watched from about the 3rd episode till the present series so watching the first two episodes is so enlightening to how the episodes unfurl.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    Noticed it in the SKY epg but description didnt say if it was the first or some other season, therefore didnt record it. Would have if knew it was from the start. Why cant epg description include season info.
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pace was much quicker than in the later episodes.

Fascinating to see all the characters from the start, especially, Peggy, Don, Betsy (so reliant and submissive).

All that smoking and drinking.

After watching 2 episodes back to back, I'm sure I could smell cigarrettes on my clothes!!!
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the aspects I like of the shows is the way they show the contrast with contemporary thinking - without making any points or pseudo-moral judgements. F'r instance in last night's offering the children are playing "space men" and one of them is running around with a plastic bag over her head. In a later episode, the family go for a sunday picnic. The lingering shot of the scene after they leave is wonderful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    One of the aspects I like of the shows is the way they show the contrast with contemporary thinking - without making any points or pseudo-moral judgements. In a later episode, the family go for a sunday picnic. The lingering shot of the scene after they leave is wonderful.

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I agree...I was gobsmacked when they had that picnic and couldn't believe what they did when they had finished :eek:

The same with Betsy's friend (Francine?) who smokes like a chimney despite being heavily pregnant.

Just goes to show how much has changed over the years and what was one deemed acceptable or the "norm" is now a complete no-no.

I love this series and despite having seen all 3 series have recorded this to watch again. I can't wait to see it from the beginning knowing what I know now and seeing how things turn out for them all. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    tonyaryan wrote: »
    Noticed it in the SKY epg but description didnt say if it was the first or some other season, therefore didnt record it. Would have if knew it was from the start. Why cant epg description include season info.

Me too! How annoying. I thought it must have been the latest series. If I'd known it was series 1, I would have recorded it.
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    As a life long feminist, i'm finding myself watching this one with clenched buttocks, it looks good though. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    I'm glad I saw this thread, wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

I'll watch the first 2 eps on IPlayer later,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peach45 wrote: »
    As a life long feminist, i'm finding myself watching this one with clenched buttocks, it looks good though. :D

My sister refuses to watch it!!!

But its brilliance is the way it communicates the values and culture of the times.

It is an amazing snapshot of how things were; recreated and bought to life.

And without wanting to spoil things for anyone, another marvellous aspect of the script/storylines and how the terrific cast act it out is how these values and culture adjust through the characters as times and episodes and seasons go by.

It moves from the late 50's through into the mid 6o's and these were times of huge change, often seized upon, fuelled and driven by the Mad Men.

Stick with it, Peach. You won't be disappointed.

Go Peggy!!!
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it a bit slow and none of the characters appealed to me.
    Hopefully it will get better.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pete Campbell was horrible in the first episode like a dog on heat!!!
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episodes 2 and 3 are on BBC2 this Sunday at 22:50.
    Glad they've not done a 4/5 nights a week re-run like they did with The Wire.
  • albundy73albundy73 Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »

Stick with it. I almost gave up a couple of episodes in as I thought it was too slow. After about four episodes I started to like the characters and realised the slow pace is what makes the show different. On the surface not much may seem to happen but you have to look deeper. Its a unique series, not for everyone, but I am glad I did not give up.
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »

Please do not give up, it's the best thing on tele for years. Yes it's slow but it has to be, much ground is covered!
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is very slow...it gets even slower as the show progresses. It takes us a long time to really get inside Betty's head.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LolaSvelt wrote: »
    It is very slow...it gets even slower as the show progresses. It takes us a long time to really get inside Betty's head.

Do we find anything when we get there?:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    Glad to have a chance to see what all the fuss is about after hearing everyone go on about this series.

I enjoyed it. Not exactly gripping, but subtly written and classily acted. I found it fairly engrossing to see how shockingly different the values were back then, especially as regards the treatment of women. Feels like a slow burner, but so far I'm willing to stick around for a few more episodes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to have a chance to see what all the fuss is about after hearing everyone go on about this series.

I enjoyed it. Not exactly gripping, but subtly written and classily acted. I found it fairly engrossing to see how shockingly different the values were back then, especially as regards the treatment of women. Feels like a slow burner, but so far I'm willing to stick around for a few more episodes.

Having seen half of season 3, I picked up numerous aspects of the characters in the first 2 episodes where the writer is giving a key/clue. Only because I've seen what is ahead was I able to pick up the significance of these things. If I hadn't seen the forward episodes, I would never have thought twice about these signs.

So to all the newcomers, even those who are still neutral, I'd repeat my exhortation to stick with it (and I rarely exhort!!!).

The brilliance of this series is the nuanced levels of the characters which go deeper and deeper the longer you go.

The longer it goes on, the significance is in what is not said not what is. There are few series like this. I certainly can't remember one.

Keep watching;)
    Forum Member
    Yeah, but you couldn't get your sister to stick with it could you tennis? :D:D:D

Anyway you've convinced me, and i'll stick with it, although i have to say it did help being a fan of mid century modern style and was that Angel's Connor i spied?:D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peach45 wrote: »
    Yeah, but you couldn't get your sister to stick with it could you tennis? :D:D:D

Anyway you've convinced me, and i'll stick with it, although i have to say it did help being a fan of mid century modern style and was that Angel's Connor i spied?:D.

The door has to be open before someone can decide to walk through (Grasshopper).

My sister is quite a formidable customer on such matters and refused to watch it in the first place.

Educate me, peach, Angel's Connor???
    Forum Member
    The young guy Pete, i think he played Connor son of vampires Angel and Darla, lord knows how that happened anyway he was kidnapped and raised in an alternate universe and returned as a bit of a bad seed.