Options

What's the BEST city in the UK?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
Forum Member
Hi guys!

I'm a 19-year-old student in Washington DC, USA majoring in International Affairs and minoring in Modern European Studies and British Media and Communication. I plan on getting my undergraduate degree on a fast track in three years and going on to do a one year master's programme in Modern European Policy Studies. I also have been working part-time at Starbucks for the last two years and plan on doing so until I finish school here.
From there, though, the plan is to move to the UK and live there for the rest of my life. It's been my dream since I was five years old, my parents and friends have always been really supportive and there's so much I love about the country. Between the NHS, the BBC, the less conservative government, the culture and proximity to Europe, it astounds me why anyone would choose to live anywhere else.

See, now the problem for me is deciding what city is right for me. I've been to London twice and love its cultural diversity, cleanliness, fast-paced atmosphere, fashion scene and the idea that I could go see some of my favourite TV shows like Top Gear, The X Factor or Graham Norton. The only problem I have is that I feel like it's too expensive for someone right out of school to move to. I'd already be dealing with immigration, moving to a new city, making new friends, finding a job and finding a flat that the last thing I need is worrying about my bank account balance too much. Then again, there could be different neighbourhoods that aren't too sketchy and are affordable. I stayed around the High Street Kensington tube station when I went to London and loved it, but I think that might be a bit out of my price range.

Newcastle seems like a charming, less expensive option. I think the people there are lovely and have the sweetest accent and attitude, just don't know much about the city itself.

Manchester seems to have a sporty image over here in America because of Manchester United, but surely it can't be all that way? The BBC building their huge Media City centre up there could be an amazing way to get into the media.

My grandparents love Edinburgh, but I don't know much about the city other than the fact that they say it's 'the most gorgeous and historic city they've ever been to'

Finally, I'm really intrigued by Bristol because Josie Gibson off of Big Brother seemed to talk about it like every five seconds, saying it was voted the 'happiest place in Europe in 2008'. Any truth to that?

Don't know much about Wales or Northern Ireland, unfortunately. It's not that I've heard anything bad about them, just never heard much that make them stick out over bigger cities like London or Edinburgh.

Anybody have any suggestions or comments? Who wants to represent their home town? =)

Thanks for any help you can give!

Comments

• Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally, I'm really intrigued by Bristol because Josie Gibson off of Big Brother seemed to talk about it like every five seconds, saying it was voted the 'happiest place in Europe in 2008'. Any truth to that?

Do it! I've lived here all my life, and I love it. Its so varied across the City, the driving can be a bit of a nightmare, but then I would imagine most of the cities you have mentioned are a bit bad for traffic at times.

Shout if you want specifics, but I would recommend it.
  • Options
    ontheloop54ontheloop54 Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oxford! Close to London with the best and most frequent travel services to the capital. Historically rich, and just a beautiful town.

Manchester would be my first choice if I were looking for a trendy, cheaper Northern city.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London - you have everything in London. It isn't that much more expensive either.

York is a lovely historic city.
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wolverhampton, maybe Dudley.
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dudley isn't a city.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    Oxford! Close to London with the best and most frequent travel services to the capital. Historically rich, and just a beautiful town.

Manchester would be my first choice if I were looking for a trendy, cheaper Northern city.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone 'trendy' in Manchester :p

I went a while ago and some people still had shaved heads with a fringe!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edinburgh was, until they decided to screw up Princess Street.
    Now I think Glasgow holds the Scottish title.

York is beautiful and very old world English.

Newcastle is popping - lively and friendly.

Carlisle (oddly the largest city in England - yep, fact!) - the start of Hadrians Wall, topping the stunning Lake District, but under the Scottish Borders.
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    You realise you are going to get so many varied answers from inhabitants of said cities. My advice, totally impartial, would be Oxford too. But then it depends really what you are looking for. Jobwise, for the media, you could be restricted, and Manchester (with the building of the BBC City) would be fantastic.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    Oxford actually is very beautiful, I love going there, London next.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would agree with Oxford too, its close enough to London and is a beautiful city in its own right.

It might help to work out which part of the UK you want to live in, the distance between different parts of the UK might not seem much to you living in the US but our public transport and road network isn't up to much (i've lived in the US aswell). Just a thought.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oxford is quite pricey but lovely - it also depends what sort of job you want to do - for example you mention the media and although there will be opportunities in Manchester you'll have more chance in London.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    london, probably has the media type and will offer the most job opps as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edinburgh

beautiful, historic, vibrant, culturally buzzing capital of Scotland. World Heritage Site - not so big as to be uncomfortable, easy access to Glasgow ( if you really must go there) good railway to get down south ( should you want to go there too)...every time I go to Edinburgh I ask myself why I dont live there....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London - cultural heart of nation
    Manchester - fantastic industrial heritage.
    Bath - beautiful architecture in the heart of beautiful countryside.

Edit to add Edinburgh of course. Fantastic city.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edinburgh - The most amazing city in the world.

I live in edinburgh and it really is great, this might sound so silly, but iv been to a lot of cities in the uk, and the bus service i have experinced has been dreadful.

The buses in edinburgh are by far the best i have ever experinced, on time, nice clean buses and friendly drivers and quite cheap compared to some places iv been.

They aslo have tartan seats which i think is just cute! :p

so yeah, best bus service i have seen in the uk.
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, everyone has different views of the cities they live in so most will tend to be bias. For example I would say Glasgow, but that's just because I live there and love the place because of the music culture.

Are you not able to come over and spend a couple days in a few cities around the country before deciding?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    London is like the New York of Europe. It's not the same but it basically has everything and is a massive central hub. I love it. you can get pretty much anywhere in the world from London to. It has good connections to the rest of Europe by train as well.

However, outside London I'd say Manchester. It's a mini-London (not as much of it but you can do pretty much the same shit there). Newcastle is nice enough but it's not that great in my opinion.

I've never been to Edinburgh long enough to say how good or bad it is :p

But, to be fair, the UK is about the size of a state in the USA so it's not that difficult to travel around (well, unless it snows!:p)
  • Options
    camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    London/derry is a nice city that still retains much of its ancient architecture and culture though the city is divided by that same culture in many ways. Also the second city of the U.K and the U.K city of culture. Belfast i also a very old city that still retains a lot of its industrial past and old buildings, Belfast is well known for its aircraft and ship manufacture and was also home to the worlds first aircraft factory which stil operates today, although the shipyard no longer produces large ships it is still the biggest in the U.K and ship repair still continues there today.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you want free healthcare on the NHS then?
    By the way we have thousands of media students in this country who can't get a job. Don't hold your breath.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member

All i can say to that suggestion is "lol"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    eng123 wrote: »
    By the way we have thousands of media students in this country who can't get a job. Don't hold your breath.

Amen to that, I'm a journalism grad and it has been very difficult to get a paid writing job. If you have lots of experience then go for it.
  • Options
    NorthernAngelNorthernAngel Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newcastle is my City and yes, we are a lovely bunch :D
    I'm also a huge fan of York, full of history and so many interesting things to do.

Good luck with your studies :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    eng123 wrote: »
    So you want free healthcare on the NHS then?

On the upside, though the OP may degrade our NHS budget until he starts earning, they won't actually be entitled to earn above a certain amount on their Visa until they become a UK citizen I think?

My colleague worked here for 3 years before she was entitled to her full wage. God knows how she survived!