Options

Playstation Fanboys Vs Kinect

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
Forum Member
I was looking through Youtube and i saw loads of videos by Playstation fans venting hatred towards Kinect and saying why Move is so superior.

Why? In my opinion they aren't even comparable, one is a controller the other you act as the controller. One follows your arm the other follows your body...

I can't understand the hatred when they are different concepts?

Comments

• Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fanboys bicker constantly. It's been going on for years, and it always will. Don't feed them by watching their videos! :D

A lot of Kinect's hate comes from the fact that 360 users used to slag Nintendo and the Wii for being casual and filled with shovelware with no core, hardcore titles..

Then suddenly when Kinect was announced (and it has no real core hardcore games - just casual stuff) the 360 users suddenly thought casual is amazing and life changing showing massive hypocrisy.

Should you care about a platform if you don't own any hardware related to it? No.
  • Options
    FunkmasterTFunkmasterT Posts: 14,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soundburst wrote: »
    the 360 users suddenly thought casual is amazing and life changing showing massive hypocrisy.

Sorry? When? I'm a 360 user, I didn't suddenly decide casual is amazing and life changing, showing massive hypocrisy.

My Dad got Kinect for Christmas, and we've had good fun with it. That's all.
    the fact that 360 users used to slag Nintendo and the Wii for being casual and filled with shovelware with no core, hardcore titles..

Again, I'm a 360 user - I wasn't slagging the Wii for being casual, filled with shovelware, with no core, hardcore titles. I enjoyed playing my Wii every time I played it. It does have a tonne of shovelware, but it has lots of good games too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 360 users who were bitching about the Wii I obviously meant (i.e fanboys)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 360 users who were bitching about the Wii I obviously meant (i.e fanboys)

Those aren't '360 users' though. They're just people, often plonkers in my experience from the fanboy war things on GameFAQs and its ilk, who happen to own x or y and are far FAR too concerned with other consoles rather than focusing on enjoying what they do have.

The 'my dad is bigger than your dad' stuff isn't atypical of any users of specific consoles, it's just bullshit that people sling about when they could actually be having fun on with the machines they presumably do have.

re: one of the OP's original questions - sure, they could be comparable, but also not at all. They are really "as well as" devices rather than the be all of each console. If you have Move or Kinect then you've got extra stuff to do. At the same time, though, Move can also be an addition to the regular controls, while Kinect (so far at least) is full motion or nothing. Having played with both, they're a lot of fun - both will shine, or not, in a couple of years when they've got proper software libraries to back up the good tech.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont own a 360 and do own a Ps3 and Wii. Have had a shot of Kinect and thought it was pretty good and accurate, if a little on the pricey side (which hopefully soon might come down a bit)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those aren't '360 users' though. They're just people, often plonkers in my experience from the fanboy war things on GameFAQs and its ilk, who happen to own x or y and are far FAR too concerned with other consoles rather than focusing on enjoying what they do have.

The 'my dad is bigger than your dad' stuff isn't atypical of any users of specific consoles, it's just bullshit that people sling about when they could actually be having fun on with the machines they presumably do have.

I didn't mean all 360 users, I meant the ones I referred to in my post who spent a few years bashing Wii for being casual. . . .until the E3 demo of kinect where exec's were shown flapping big red balls at the screen much like Wii Fit. . . .then it was suddenly very cool.

Besides. . .there are fanboys of everything. Sony, Apple, MS, BlackBerry, Nintendo, Mercedes, Josh Groban.

Sometimes I enjoy reading their views on N4G (the biggest fanboy site of all time :D) You'll see one say something hilarious about Move, and another retaliate without something equally hilarious about Kinect. They're fun to read, even if just for the childish nature of it. . .though some of them are 30+ and you often think "Should I really be laughing at this as it's a grown man :D".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    I dont own a 360 and do own a Ps3 and Wii. Have had a shot of Kinect and thought it was pretty good and accurate, if a little on the pricey side (which hopefully soon might come down a bit)

To be honest, I wasn't holding out high hopes. My Mum told me she was buying it for my Dad's Christmas and I thought she couldn't get a worse present for him. He only has a 360 because he got one with his CokeZone points (:D) but he hadn't played any games on it. I was expecting him to be disappointed and Kinect to be clunky and awkward. Turns out it's probably the best present he's had, and I'm surprised that it has been so much fun so far.

It will get less use as the weeks go by until we get more games, but that's the same for everything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    S.P.I.K.E. wrote: »
    One follows your arm the other follows your body...
    actually the move has full body tracking, not just the arm.
    ill informed opinions are just as bad as fanboys
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Move is brilliant, it is much more fluid and accurate than our Wii thats for sure. I am sure Kinect is great in its own controllerless way, as has been pointed out i am not sure you can compare the two.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Ralph777 wrote: »
    actually the move has full body tracking, not just the arm.
    ill informed opinions are just as bad as fanboys

Looks like they are using controllers to me? It can tell when the controller moves up, down or sideways but thats it really...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KywklJJoJ5s&feature=related
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look at 8 year old eyetoy videos and you'll see a fitness game that works very much like the fitness Kinect game. It recognises arm and leg movements with players having to kick onscreen objects or punch them. This was well before move so I'm sure the ps eye can do the same.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Kinect is just an overpriced Eyetoy. That's just the way it is. If the price point was less than £50 then yeah, great, but it's MASSIVELY overpriced for what it is.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    The Kinect is just an overpriced Eyetoy. That's just the way it is. If the price point was less than £50 then yeah, great, but it's MASSIVELY overpriced for what it is.

Sorry but I had an eyetoy and the kinect is much more than an eyetoy, the technology has come on wonders since the eyetoy flopped. Saying the kinect is an over priced eyetoy is like saying that Move is an overpriced version of the Wii.

The kinect is an awesome piece of technology and I say this as someone who had Project Natal written off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say as someone who was massively dismissive of the Kinect before I got one, it is much much more than an 'overpriced eyetoy'
    So impressed with it, from the voice commands to the face recognition and the gameplay itself. Definitely something im not going to let gather dust. (though it wont be used everyday)
  • Options
    samtmansamtman Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ha ha in a thread asking about fanboys here is a prime example. I knew without looking that in his services would be no 360 but would have a PS3 looked over and was proved correct.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kinect is more technologically advanced than an eye toy. Of course it is. It has a depth sensor.

However, with Kinect in 2010 you're playing games that could be pretty much replicated 8 years ago on PS2 with an eyetoy.

This advanced tech has evolved.....but games haven't and so you're just playing slightly enhanced ps2 games. That's just how it is.

Perhaps with xbox720 things will change - but camera only games at the minute are just tarted up eyetoy games even though the actual hardware is more advanced.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    The Sack wrote: »
    Move is brilliant, it is much more fluid and accurate than our Wii thats for sure. I am sure Kinect is great in its own controllerless way, as has been pointed out i am not sure you can compare the two.

It can be as accurate and as fluid as it wants (not that the Wii is anything but) however without the games behind it, it's all rather meaningless. Wii has the major upper hand on that front and will continue to do so for quite some time I'd imagine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kinect is like eyetoy in the same was Kinect and Move are like upgraded versions of the Sega Activator, Power glove or the Konami laser scope.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this move wavey wii kinect nonsense.

A wireless controller is about as advanced as I need

Do I need Heavy Rain in Move? I can open my own fridge at home waving my arms around and feeding a baby. Crikey, who needs reality?!

Do I need Wii Fit? Not really and if I want to cook along I'll go into the bloody kitchen, of course I'm banned from the local hospital after the Trauma Centre incident

Do I need Kinect? Despite thinking this was some old 90s building blocks game

I need none of this motion sensor waving nonsense.

I will still use the D-Pad
    I will always play Football Manager with text commentary only!
    I wil always reconfigure the buttons on any game to resemble the most basic of 90s games

No surrender to the motion of the ocean!!
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Sorry but I had an eyetoy and the kinect is much more than an eyetoy, the technology has come on wonders since the eyetoy flopped. Saying the kinect is an over priced eyetoy is like saying that Move is an overpriced version of the Wii.

The kinect is an awesome piece of technology and I say this as someone who had Project Natal written off.

A Playstation Move IS an overpriced version of the Wii. It's the same technology but more accurate - same with Kinect and the Eyetoy.

Are you really telling me that Kinect technology is THAT good it is worth twice the price of an Eyetoy? Of course not, anyone who says it is worth such a massive mark-up is a fool.

For the record, Sony's Playstation Move is another overpriced gimmick. But at least the games it supports are far better than Kinect's shovelware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Playstation Move IS an overpriced version of the Wii. It's the same technology but more accurate - same with Kinect and the Eyetoy.

Are you really telling me that Kinect technology is THAT good it is worth twice the price of an Eyetoy? Of course not, anyone who says it is worth such a massive mark-up is a fool.

For the record, Sony's Playstation Move is another overpriced gimmick. But at least the games it supports are far better than Kinect's shovelware.

I would say it is at least twice as good as an eyetoy so with your logic it is a bargain but yes I do think it is over priced and I wouldn't say either is a 'Gimmick' they cater for different markets and will never be good for say playing FPS versus a controller but they will open up the consoles to new ways to play and new types of games.

None of the games are to my taste at the moment but will be keeping an eye on a few upcoming titles such as child of eden, steel battallion heavy armour, rise of nightmares and the game that is being made by Suda 51. I wouldn't descibe any of these as 'shovelware' but will reserve an opinion until they are released.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    The Natal was cut down, it should have had more processing power built in.

Parts cost is under £40
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    A lot of Kinect's hate comes from the fact that 360 users used to slag Nintendo and the Wii for being casual and filled with shovelware with no core, hardcore titles..
    A lot of People on the PS3 side also did the same untill Move was announced.

In Fact Sony & MicroSoft themselfs also laid into the Wii early on, Then as soon as sales figures came back both started looking at there own versions of Motion Control.

On that point, back when the Wii was announced I heaped critisism at it 'I don't want to wave my arms around to play games' Etc... I had a chance to play a friend's Wii when he got one & actually ended up liking it & brought one myself & is still gets played regularly.

Right now Im not intrested in Move or Kinect, Partly because of the price & partly because there's nothing out there which is making me want either. Another down side with Kinect is that Im not sure I have the room to be able to use it without constantly hitting things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    S.P.I.K.E. wrote: »
    Looks like they are using controllers to me? It can tell when the controller moves up, down or sideways but thats it really...
    what part of my post said the move didnt use a controller? more evidence that you dont engage brain before posting.
    have you really gained all your knowledge of the move from one youtube video? kind of shows why youre so ill informed about it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't mean all 360 users, I meant the ones I referred to in my post who spent a few years bashing Wii for being casual. . . .until the E3 demo of kinect where exec's were shown flapping big red balls at the screen much like Wii Fit. . . .then it was suddenly very cool.

Besides. . .there are fanboys of everything. Sony, Apple, MS, BlackBerry, Nintendo, Mercedes, Josh Groban.

Sometimes I enjoy reading their views on N4G (the biggest fanboy site of all time :D) You'll see one say something hilarious about Move, and another retaliate without something equally hilarious about Kinect. They're fun to read, even if just for the childish nature of it. . .though some of them are 30+ and you often think "Should I really be laughing at this as it's a grown man :D".

Hmm. Still a very good chance the xbox people that were slating the wii, probably don't like kinect either. Let's be honest, you can't possibly know everyone of this fanboys on a personal level that can confirm wether they now think the kinect us the best thing sinced sliced bread.

I never wanted a kinect, I have a wii, I got bored with it. Somebody got me kinect at Christmas, has been fun so far, but I will get bored soon, but at least it never cost me anything. It is a clever bit of kit, but long term, I can't visualise it being used in any games that I will constantly return to.