LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    noise747 hates everything to do with Google.

No I don't, if I did then I would not have a phone with their OS on it. I think they do far too much tracking and they gets too big for their boots sometimes seem to think that all our data belongs to them. but I do realise that they offer some good services that are free, but people should just realise how much info they could be giving to Google.
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    How can Google now work without Location history? i think I only used GPs on my phone a couple of times and switch it of when not needed, the same with wi-fi, switch it on when needed.

It's limited without the history, as it can't 'learn' when you might want to be somewhere, but it's still looking at email, web searches, calendar so for example it can still alert you for flights, meetings etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In other news - I've just noticed that the wireless charger has appeared on the Play Store :D

You can't buy it though :mad:
  • cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't, if I did then I would not have a phone with their OS on it. I think they do far too much tracking and they gets too big for their boots sometimes seem to think that all our data belongs to them. but I do realise that they offer some good services that are free, but people should just realise how much info they could be giving to Google.

A workaround is easy, have more than one google account. One linked to google now and one with all your private emails /Chrome web searches etc..
  • cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flynn wrote: »
    In other news - I've just noticed that the wireless charger has appeared on the Play Store :D

It wont be cheap, if more than £40-£45 its a no from me.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny how you spent days arguing the merits of the Samsung S3 against the Nexus 4.

Then went and bought a Nexus 4 :rolleyes:

...In other news I prefer the new VW Golf to the Toyota Aygo yet I own an Aygo :rolleyes:

The Samsung Galaxy S3 is an excellent phone but at the end of the day it was over £100 more expensive than a Nexus 4, had they been the same price I might have opted for the S3.

I like the pure Android experience from the Nexus 4 (and the price) but I prefer everything else about the S3 including the screen, battery, storage, 4G... it just wasn't worth over £100 extra for me.

Anyway if you have any more questions feel free to send me a PM.
  • markrdukmarkrduk Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cribology wrote: »
    It wont be cheap, if more than £40-£45 its a no from me.

Apparently it's $59.99, so you're probably not far off with £45.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I reckon it will be £49.99, personally. I really hope they don't charge a tenner for P&P though (but they probably will!)
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each to their own - I'm not that comfortable with Google (or any third party for that matter) holding a history of everywhere I've been, and my life isn't exciting enough for Google Now to be useful enough. Plus, when it was switched on, I found location history & reporting to have a noticeable impact on battery life.

Just turned it on the other day. Had not even opened maps yet but it just alerted me there will be heavy traffic on the way home and plotted the route too on a map. So it basically logged my journey coming to work.

Not really sure how I feel about it yet. It is a little freaky but I'm curious to see how well it works. problem is whilst it's learning I'm not sure what it's sharing about me and with what parties.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Mine doesnt have that screen on when i put it on my wireless charger! :eek::mad:
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't, if I did then I would not have a phone with their OS on it. I think they do far too much tracking
    Its an open platform. You can remove most stuff, even the store.

Pay a fortune elsewhere and you get cornered?
    I think that's quite incredible for what is essentially freemium.

Elsewhere you seem now to get low grade ad chasing offerings shoved down your throat, whilst getting charged premium.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cribology wrote: »
    A workaround is easy, have more than one google account. One linked to google now and one with all your private emails /Chrome web searches etc..

I don't use Gmail anyway, well not for email, the only reason I got Gmail is because it is needed for synchronising contacts.

I presume there is a way to disable google Now? i don't have it on the phone i have got, but no doubt if i get a Android phone running the latest OS, then that will have Google now.

Still not sure what I am doing at the moment. I did think about the Nexus, but I am having second thoughts on that.

The problem is, that I do need another phone, mine is now starting to get on my nerves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Just turned it on the other day. Had not even opened maps yet but it just alerted me there will be heavy traffic on the way home and plotted the route too on a map. So it basically logged my journey coming to work.

Not really sure how I feel about it yet. It is a little freaky but I'm curious to see how well it works. problem is whilst it's learning I'm not sure what it's sharing about me and with what parties.

How do it know where you are if location is turned off? It is a little bit too freaky for me I think.

i think i will go for a phone with a older version of Android on if I go for a Android phone, not there is really much choice if I got for a smart phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do it know where you are if location is turned off? It is a little bit too freaky for me I think.

i think i will go for a phone with a older version of Android on if I go for a Android phone, not there is really much choice if I got for a smart phone.
    You're reading more into this than is actually there.

Firstly, not only can Now be turned off, it's off by default. You have to explicitly turn it on.

Second, when you first set up an Android phone one of the things you choose is whether location is on or not - presumably Slick1two enabled it at that point.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

You are way to paranoid!! Its becoming an absolute joke.

It merely records where you are at 2 given points, shows nearby things and the time to get home with delays. What exactly is it that makes you so terrified of technology these days? What do you think Google are going to do with the data showing when you went for a coffee or went to work?
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I would imagine it could be very handy if you are ever charged with a crime and you can prove you were nowhere near the crime scene at the time :D
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetech wrote: »
    As I remarked earlier Android is an open development platform. The reference platform i.e. the Nexus line has been given away to developers at I/O.

Remember that Google did double the I/O attendance cost from $450 in 2011 to $900 in 2012... The 'free' hardware wasn't given out of Google's kindness of heart ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Firstly, not only can Now be turned off, it's off by default. You have to explicitly turn it on.

Second, when you first set up an Android phone one of the things you choose is whether location is on or not - presumably Slick1two enabled it at that point.

Yes I enabled it just to test out. What I meant was that I had not opened google maps, or used any navigation features. But locations was turned on and I guess that is enough for Google now to get to work. So even if i did not physically open the maps app, google now was logging my journey.

But it's pretty damn amazing! As I was walking out of work and towards my bus stop down the street. It started flowing data left right and centre! info on shops and cafes as I walked past, photos of nearby sights, bus stop timetable as I walked towards my stop! This is crazy, freaky, but cool OH SO COOL!!!! :cool:

I guess this is the kinda stuff that is going to appear on the google glasses when they come out. A data flow appearing in real time without you doing anything but going about your business.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    I would imagine it could be very handy if you are ever charged with a crime and you can prove you were nowhere near the crime scene at the time :D

Unless Google Now goes all skynet on you and decides to twist all the data to implicate you, and put you right at the crime scene :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Remember that Google did double the I/O attendance cost from $450 in 2011 to $900 in 2012... The 'free' hardware wasn't given out of Google's kindness of heart ;)

Yeah and you got $1500 worth of free stuff ;) $900 of which is from Google
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am surprised at that to be honest, since google uses this info to sell their adverts.
    Second, when you first set up an Android phone one of the things you choose is whether location is on or not

I do know that, I have had two Android phones and strangely enough I have set them both up.

Mine is switched off.
    - presumably Slick1two enabled it at that point.

I thought that as well unless Google is switching it back on without consent and I don't think even Google would do that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »

It merely records where you are at 2 given points, shows nearby things and the time to get home with delays. What exactly is it that makes you so terrified of technology these days? What do you think Google are going to do with the data showing when you went for a coffee or went to work?

Not paranoid, but I do like a bit of privacy, which is what some people don't understand when I go out for a walk and switch my phone off.

I don't want it to show nearby things or the time it will take me to get home, certainly not in my own city. I know what is near me in my own city and anyway, it can only show what people have stuck on google maps I should think.

I could be say looking fro somewhere to have a coffee and there could be one around the corner, but Google now would not know unless someone stuck it on Google Maps.

Technology is not the problem, it is what is done with it that is the problem.
    Funny thing is when I was younger i used to love all the new things that was coming out, I remember our first VHS Deck, the fact that we could watch films in our own home and record TV, amazing, even if I did use to knock the remote flying as it was on the end of a cable :)

My first digital Camera, I still got it a HP photosmart C30, My first mobile phone, I can never remember the make of that. My very first computer, a ZX81 and then added 16k ram to it. inkjet printer instead of DotMatrix. Cd instead of tape and vinyl, even if I still prefer the sound of vinyl.

i think as i get older and computers get smaller and more powerful and companies like Google wants to know what you are doing every time of the day if they could. i am getting to think why on earth am I giving away where I am all the time.

Even my info on Facebook is now limited.

If people don't mind Google knowing everything about their life or Facebook for that matter than fin, that is up to them.

TBH, I wish I never even started with mobile phones
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »

And more to the point, why on earth would Google give two hoots whether I was home in Ammanford or at work in Merthyr. Why would anyone care really. I just love the way it tells me that one lane is closed on the A465 because of a collision. so helpful.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not paranoid, but I do like a bit of privacy, which is what some people don't understand when I go out for a walk and switch my phone off.

I don't want it to show nearby things or the time it will take me to get home, certainly not in my own city. I know what is near me in my own city and anyway, it can only show what people have stuck on google maps I should think.

I could be say looking fro somewhere to have a coffee and there could be one around the corner, but Google now would not know unless someone stuck it on Google Maps.

Technology is not the problem, it is what is done with it that is the problem.
    Funny thing is when I was younger i used to love all the new things that was coming out, I remember our first VHS Deck, the fact that we could watch films in our own home and record TV, amazing, even if I did use to knock the remote flying as it was on the end of a cable :)

My first digital Camera, I still got it a HP photosmart C30, My first mobile phone, I can never remember the make of that. My very first computer, a ZX81 and then added 16k ram to it. inkjet printer instead of DotMatrix. Cd instead of tape and vinyl, even if I still prefer the sound of vinyl.

i think as i get older and computers get smaller and more powerful and companies like Google wants to know what you are doing every time of the day if they could. i am getting to think why on earth am I giving away where I am all the time.

Even my info on Facebook is now limited.

If people don't mind Google knowing everything about their life or Facebook for that matter than fin, that is up to them.

TBH, I wish I never even started with mobile phones

But they don't know about you, just where your phones been; I am amazed your even online given your level of paranoia to be honest. :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000C4GEU/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller= will do all you need. But remember, 'They' can track any mobile phone :o

Tin foil wallpaper here
    http://www.transtools.co.uk/hand-tools/painting-and-decorating/lining-paper/anderton-three-in-one-damp-proof-lining-paper-foil-backed-10m-x-54cm

Tin foil hat information here
    http://zapatopi.net/afdb/ :cool:
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    And more to the point, why on earth would Google give two hoots whether I was home in Ammanford or at work in Merthyr. Why would anyone care really. I just love the way it tells me that one lane is closed on the A465 because of a collision. so helpful.

Yep, i go different routes home sometimes because it warns me there are big delays on the motorway. Actually useful to the quality of life cutting down commuting time.