Could this be a bit racist?

basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
Forum Member
.I've forgotten to post this before but on Saturday when shopping in Romford I noticed a job application for a chain clothes shop which included 'very good spoken English and should be a local candidates.
Would then someone who lived locally but was from abroad and had an accent fall fail of the very good spoken English rule.
Or as Romford is majority white could non-white people fail as not being local candidates either by location or even race.

Comments

• CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Seeing racism where there is none. It's the new craze sensation that's sweeping the nation.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    Would then someone who lived locally but was from abroad and had a accent fall fail of the very good spoken English rule.

Well, presumably not if they had good spoken English?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Yep, having no ability to be able to converse with the general public is clearly a racist act. Retailers should be employing interpreters as well.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No of course it isn't. Jeez, of course their standard of English should be good but an accent is fine.
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Well, presumably not if they had good spoken English?
    It stated very good English which seemed a bit odd.. Romford has a strong regional accent. Like someone with a accent could be judged not to have so. I am probably reading to much into it. It was a chain shop which sold clothes for younger people
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It stated very good English which seemed a bit odd. Like someone with a accent could be judged not to have so. I am probably reading to much into it. It was a chain shop which sold clothes for younger people

I think you were to be honest. It is possible to have very good spoken English and still have a foreign accent.

Isn't it perhaps a bit racist to assume otherwise? ;)
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    I know a young black girl who would be ideal for that job. Her spoken English is quite superb.
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    I think you were to be honest. It is possible to have very good spoken English and still have a foreign accent.

Isn't it perhaps a bit racist to assume otherwise? ;)
    It just sounds like that it could be a underhand tool to class accents that are not wanted as 'not good enough' and be able to get away with it.
    Of course it is
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Too right. I'm surprised they didn't have burning crosses outside the front door and the staff wearing white hoods. It's probably majority white because they burn all darkies on sight.

Go now basdfg. Run as fast as your little legs can carry you and spread the word that Romford is a racist pit of hades,
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    It stated very good English which seemed a bit odd.. Romford has a strong regional accent. Like someone with a accent could be judged not to have so.

And that's racist? dear god it gets worse.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and spread the word that Romford is a racist pit of hades

Meh, same old....:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,012
    Forum Member
    Yep, having no ability to be able to converse with the general public is clearly a racist act. Retailers should be employing interpreters as well.

You are joking? :eek:
  • Stan MarinoStan Marino Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    I'm going to say not racist. The job needs someone who speaks good English and is local for proximity I suppose. Anyone of any ethnic background who meets those criteria can have the job.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have read it as they want someone from the area that doesn't have the local accent, maybe snobbery rather than racism :rolleyes:
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Personally if I wanted to bring "disagreeing with racism" into disrepute I might invent a persona who innocently asks ridiculous questions about race... all naive like.
  • ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    on Saturday when shopping in Romford I noticed a job application for a chain clothes shop
    Is that a supplier of bondage gear? You little rascal....
    Forum Member
    ianx wrote: »
    Is that a supplier of bondage gear? You little rascal....
    It sold general trendy clothes.
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Mesostim wrote: »
    Personally if I wanted to bring "disagreeing with racism" into disrepute I might invent a persona who innocently asks ridiculous questions about race... all naive like.

Do you have some sort of script running that sets off a flashing light and sounds a klaxon on certain keywords and phrases?
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, do you have a bad feeling that there might be riots about this?
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have some sort of script running that sets of flashing light and sounds a klaxon on certain keywords and phrases?

..maybe he gets alerted by some sort of searchlight twatsignal thingy...
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    OP, do you have a bad feeling that there might be riots about this?

:D:D:D:D:D
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Caldari wrote: »
    Do you have some sort of script running that sets off a flashing light and sounds a klaxon on certain keywords and phrases?

Why... is that how you do it? A "seeracismwherethereisnone-oscope"?
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It stated very good English which seemed a bit odd.. Romford has a strong regional accent. Like someone with a accent could be judged not to have so. I am probably reading to much into it. It was a chain shop which sold clothes for younger people
    It asks for "very good English" - It doesn't matter what accent you have.

No racism here at all.
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    All joking aside, the OP has raised a very important and valid issue here.

The condition of seeing racism where there is none is very serious and should be treated with strong medication straight away before it becomes terminally tedious to everyone around them.
  • tour de forcetour de force Posts: 4,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone speaks English with an accent.

Everyone who lives in the vicinity of Romford is local.

How many of the above are race baiters like the OP is unknown.