Only fools and horses xmas specials 01-03

guttridgeguttridge Posts: 1,884
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just been reading on this forum that a lot of peolpe didnt like the xmas specials from 01 till 03. Ok it was not the best far from it but it was NOT bad. Cant see why peolpe dislike it. The only only thikn i dislike like about it was the ending. Otherwise it was good to have thme back for three more specials.. The one in 2002 was great? But why did you peolpe dislike it so much??? Why did it not do it for you?

Comments

• Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guttridge wrote: »
    I just been reading on this forum that a lot of peolpe didnt like the xmas specials from 01 till 03. Ok it was not the best far from it but it was NOT bad. Cant see why peolpe dislike it. The only only thikn i dislike like about it was the ending. Otherwise it was good to have thme back for three more specials.. The one in 2002 was great? But why did you peolpe dislike it so much??? Why did it not do it for you?

the threads you read before would have them answers in it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    They were OK compared to most other sitcoms and the like, but by OFAH standards they were pretty poor. Also, if they had ended with Heroes and Villains it would have been(in my opinion) the perfect ending. The legacy was hurt a little by those 3 additional Christmas specials, I feel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I loved them!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although i do like Only Fools and Horses i can't help but get a bit bored by all these threads that keep popping up about it. And i really think discussion over why people don't like the 01-03 episodes has been covered enough. Quite honestly all the Marlene boob job rubbish and them thinking Boycie killed her and Marlene and Raquel having a bitchy slanging match would be enough for anyone to see why some people aren't keen.
  • sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was not keen on 'If they could see us now' OK with Strangers on the shore & Sleepless in Peckham.
    What should of happened after 'Time on our Hands' was the spin off shows ' Green Green Grass & Rock & Chips.

By the 2001 xmas special it had been ten years since series 7 quite a gap.
  • guttridgeguttridge Posts: 1,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know when they bought them back when did they tell us all it was coming back? Was dAVID jason or nick lynhurst not donig much work then?
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been discussed many times but I just think they should have left it alone after the 1996 trilogy.

Apparently there was 'great demand' from the public for some new episodes, according to the writer John Sullivan, and David Jason and Nicholas Lyndhurst still have great affection for their characters so were unlikely to refuse.

'If They Could See Us Now' was probably the worst of the three. 'Sleepless in Peckham' was probably passable, but some of it felt quite forced. It was as if they were trying to overplay their roles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    There really did seem to be a lot of dragging out, as if Sullivan was struggling to write for 75 minutes (i.e. the making a screenplay thing, the Marlene/Denzil rumours, and the constant repeating of such jokes as Boycie's onion hair gel). Then there's loads of little things like Rodney still playing the dopey younger brother in his 40's, some rather bad acting/too harsh words from the women etc.

As far as TV revival's go, they weren't too bad, and there are plenty of laugh out loud moments (especially in the second episode, which felt a bit more like your traditional story), but adding these extra episodes was a bit of a let down after what was the perfect ending.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Although i do like Only Fools and Horses i can't help but get a bit bored by all these threads that keep popping up about it. And i really think discussion over why people don't like the 01-03 episodes has been covered enough. Quite honestly all the Marlene boob job rubbish and them thinking Boycie killed her and Marlene and Raquel having a bitchy slanging match would be enough for anyone to see why some people aren't keen.

I agree, it's been discussed on many OFAH threads why people don't like the 01-03 specials. It should have finished when Del & Rodney became millionaires. The last 3 episodes are dreadful, especially when you compare them to earlier episodes, the peak i think is when OFAH went to 50 min.