F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    not really liking the 3d as its not really adding anything so have switched to the main hd channel instead.
    the lap counter is useless since it isnt showing the driver position so its hard to follow what is going on & some of the camera angles are too far away.
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now it is being shown, I have got a question.

Do you have to have the Sky World package to watch it in 3D, like the rest of the 3D coverage?
    Not that I will ever be using it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1_Dave_E wrote: »
    not really liking the 3d as its not really adding anything so have switched to the main hd channel instead.
    the lap counter is useless since it isnt showing the driver position so its hard to follow what is going on & some of the camera angles are too far away.

Positioning is not that important but I wish they would eave the tower on the side. Although if they did this they would want to make them a bit smaller.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My god, do you have to have sound effects on every visual effect? That sound is going to get annoying if it sounds every time a new graphic appears.

This just feels like a Friday session, hardly ground breaking or exciting.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    Sky camera's not quite as steady as what we get from FOM, Timing graphics also not that useful since there only showing current lap time & not showing positions or gaps.

Other than that its pretty much as expected, Cars going round on there own testing, Not anything that exciting to watch.

This split-screen is what Sky should do when they cut away for interviews during practice sessions.
  • lozloz Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The peak on Massa's cap just pocked me in the eye... :)
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,061
    Forum Member
    Guys, 2 questions. My other half has Sky (but not Sky Sports or Sky Sports F1), as she's a current customer, how much would it cost her to upgrade to Sky Sports? Also, just remind me if as a current customer you'd still get Sky Sports F1 (SD) free in effect if you upgraded to Sky Sports. Obvious questions, but I don't know her Sky ID etc and just want a quick answer so I can think about considering it as I'm spending more and more time there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Guys, 2 questions. My other half has Sky (but not Sky Sports or Sky Sports F1), as she's a current customer, how much would it cost her to upgrade to Sky Sports? Also, just remind me if as a current customer you'd still get Sky Sports F1 (SD) free in effect if you upgraded to Sky Sports. Obvious questions, but I don't know her Sky ID etc and just want a quick answer so I can think about considering it as I'm spending more and more time there.
    If you only want Sky Sports F1 and not the other channels you want to take advatage of an offer that Sky are running now. You get the HD pack (which gives you access to Sky Sports F1) FOR £5pm for 6 months, and then £10.25 after then.
    http://www.sky.com/f1/

The Sky Sports pack is £26.50 per month, which will give you all the Sky Sports channels but you will not get them in HD unless you have the HD pack.

Which one you get depends on what you want to watch.
    Forum Member
    Bit too steep then, as I'd be wanting all the Sky Sports channels, not just Sky Sports F1 (plus not 100% certain the TV is HD). I'll have to give it a miss.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was just the price on the website.

I have just signed in to the Sky shop using my Sky ID and it states it is £21 for existing Sky customers.
  • User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit too steep then, as I'd be wanting all the Sky Sports channels, not just Sky Sports F1 (plus not 100% certain the TV is HD). I'll have to give it a miss.

I think it's really steep too if you want all the sports channels and in HD, that's nearly double the standard subscription charge.

I do think though that the HD pack with SSF1 thrown in is a relatively good buy and especially whilst it's on a trial price. Contrary to some of the most overly vocal posters on here, SSF1 isn't the sh*tfest it's made out to be at all. It's great on F1 weekends but it's fair to say between races it's quite hit and miss and is overly repeated. Content wise I love all the support series stuff which unfortuantely the BBC don't pick up.

I think what would help SSf1 is if all the other motorsport exclusives Sky have was condensed onto that channel, ie Indycar and Nascar (potentially WEC?? can't remember if they have it). I would happily watch Indycar via Sky but they bury it on SS3 and I won't fork out just to get that one series.
    Forum Member
    Even £21 is a bit much for the amount of time I'd be there. I'll pass.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even £21 is a bit much for the amount of time I'd be there. I'll pass.
    I know what you are saying. Even though I think Sky Sports is actually quite for £21 is quite a good deal, I could not justify getting it.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    DanielF wrote: »
    Not exactly along the same lines as the "anyone can do it"yness of it being on Beeb 2, is it?
    Who said that it was? It is not *that* difficult in any case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Who said that it was? It is not *that* difficult in any case.
    Not that difficult if you have equipment capable. Most will not, and will just have Sky+ or another more basic PVR.
    Forum Member
    You need a TV too! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really? I would never have known that... :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    I think sky really need to look at stabilizing the cameras for the next 3 days, There a lot less steady than what other broadcasters manage & there were a few times where it was sending me a bit dizzy.

Also think they should look at putting more info on screen, Not necessarily expecting f1 race weekend style full timing graphics but something more than just a lap time clock would be nice (time remaining counter, # of laps completed, positions ticker or tower).

I think the style of commentary they used with guest's etc.. works well in a testing format where there isn't a lot going on to commentate on.

Was nice to see live f1 after the winter break & was kinda nice to be able to see some live footage from a test, But as expected it wasn't exactly that interesting to watch & I suspect something only the most hardcore F1 fans (Like me :D) are going to be interested in watching.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a bit boring, I was watching it half of the 50" using the other half to browse the internet.

But then it is testing, it is not going to be that exciting is it.
    Forum Member
    R410 wrote: »
    I know what you are saying. Even though I think Sky Sports is actually quite for £21 is quite a good deal, I could not justify getting it.

Yeah, well with being out about 9 hours a day, then my other half wanting to play catch up which doesn't always get done in 1 night, plus her 2 kids watching their programmes before she gets to play catch up, plus not being there at various other times, I'd not get value for money out of the £21.
  • JackFoleyJackFoley Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting to note Sky Italy is taking the full Sky UK feed, with Simon, Johnny and Ted with Italian commentators talking over it. No integration.
    Forum Member
    R410 wrote: »
    Really? I would never have known that... :rolleyes:
    With all your quibbling about something so straightforward to understand it was hard to be sure about that.
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not necessarily, im think of sign up for that half price deal and putting the box in the cupboard and just using the online part. ;)
    Forum Member
    Will Buxton seems to suggest the cameras were been worked by the FOM crew?
    https://twitter.com/willbuxton
    And are we looking at Sky production or FOM? The shots, pulls, all look very familiar. Guessing it's the FOM crew actually on the cameras.

Apart from some of the angles been FOM angles, Didn't really look like FOM style coverage to me, Especially given how wobbly the shots were when FOM camera shots tend to be very stable
    Forum Member
    To be frank I am usually dozing off after a hard day's work so tend to listen to the practise sessions with my eyes closed so I don't really need a TV either. :)
This discussion has been closed.