Options

What's with all the warnings before a programme starts?

2»

Comments

• Options
    mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind the on-air warnings, it pretty much covers broadcasters backsides for the viewers who complain over anything. I also think British TV should implement certificates before their programmes like they do in Ireland, US, Canada, Australia and most of Europe.

As for the watershed, its fast becoming a out-dated method for television broadcasts thanks to on-demand platforms and Internet TV. A lot of modern TV's, Sky, Virgin Media, Freeview and Freesat PVR boxes have the pin protection lock, but only Sky and Virgin use this system for the movies only. So why not use it on all broadcasts? Yeah, it would be costly for some broadcasters, but most could afford it yet, they opted out of using it. Another reason why its never really been pushed could be that they wouldn't really be the need for OFCOM, as if pin protection was used properly, then people would have nothing to complain about as they'll be in control of what they see. So if 15 rated material was blocked, then they wouldn't see it. Personally, in this digital era of television, the watershed seriously needs to be reviewed.
  • Options
    maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The following sit-com contains scenes that very few viewers will find funny
    The following documentary contain scenes more suitable for 5 year olds
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    mattyb wrote: »
    As for the watershed, its fast becoming a out-dated method for television broadcasts thanks to on-demand platforms and Internet TV. A lot of modern TV's, Sky, Virgin Media, Freeview and Freesat PVR boxes have the pin protection lock, but only Sky and Virgin use this system for the movies only. So why not use it on all broadcasts?
    The BBC tend to use it on many of their post watershed shows on Sky On Demand.
    Pretty sure it'll have been on other channels also.

It's actually a question that's been asked several times in the Sky forum why the PIN cannot be disabled completely for those that don't require it.
    Even with all the correct options set some programme are still sent with the PIN entry required.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    The BBC tend to use it on many of their post watershed shows on Sky On Demand.
    Pretty sure it'll have been on other channels also.

It's actually a question that's been asked several times in the Sky forum why the PIN cannot be disabled completely for those that don't require it.
    Even with all the correct options set some programme are still sent with the PIN entry required.

So people know why they have to enter the pin there should be a simple accompanying message, eg 'This program is pin protected as it carries an age restriction of ** and has ***** content that could be seen as offensive to some viewers.' Or something similar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    So people know why they have to enter the pin there should be a simple accompanying message, eg 'This program is pin protected as it carries an age restriction of ** and has ***** content that could be seen as offensive to some viewers.' Or something similar.
    I mean univerally. That a person who doesn't require a PIN for anything will never need enter one.
    At the moment, even with PIN restrictions disabled or set to allow any content some programmes are still being sent down On Demand with PIN restrictions.
  • Options
    Martyn1Martyn1 Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite warning the other day,

"The film Gladiator, contains scenes of gladiatorial violence, which some viewers may find upsetting"

Well I should bloody hope so it contains "gladiatorial scenes", hence the title of the film, I wasn't expecting pink flying ponies for goodness sake!!

I do think some channels are playing it "very" safe these days, especially C4 and C5 in particular. Maybe all programmes should contain warnings 'just in case' the Mary Whitehouse brigade is watching???

"Now on 4seven, Location Location Location, Which may contain Kirsty Allsop and London property prices, which some viewers may find upsetting, from the outset and throughtout"

"Benefits Britain now on Channel 5, This programme may contain nudity, very strong language, male genitalia, and offensive opinions from the outset"

I dont see why commercial channels feel the need to warn us, in some cases after each and every ad break, with the Beeb, its one warning at the beginning no matter how strong or upsetting the content is?
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Martyn1 wrote: »
    My favourite warning the other day,

"The film Gladiator, contains scenes of gladiatorial violence, which some viewers may find upsetting"

Well I should bloody hope so it contains "gladiatorial scenes", hence the title of the film, I wasn't expecting pink flying ponies for goodness sake!!

I do think some channels are playing it "very" safe these days, especially C4 and C5 in particular. Maybe all programmes should contain warnings 'just in case' the Mary Whitehouse brigade is watching???

"Now on 4seven, Location Location Location, Which may contain Kirsty Allsop and London property prices, which some viewers may find upsetting, from the outset and throughtout"

"Benefits Britain now on Channel 5, This programme may contain nudity, very strong language, male genitalia, and offensive opinions from the outset"

I dont see why commercial channels feel the need to warn us, in some cases after each and every ad break, with the Beeb, its one warning at the beginning no matter how strong or upsetting the content is?

!!!!
    Its called broadcasting rules and until they change, warnings will be given before a show begins if it contains content that is likely to cause offense!!
    If a warning before a show pisses you off SO badly, watch OnDemand. There isn't a warning!!
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Heard a strangely worded disclaimer the other day.

"The next programme features some distressing scenes"

According to who? How do you know if i'll find the scenes distressing?

Contains mild peril.

FFS what about Dean? 😉😝
  • Options
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    If a warning before a show pisses you off SO badly, watch OnDemand. There isn't a warning!!
    Some of them do and are also PIN protected.