Would a Scottish Indepentence vote have a chance without the Tories in power?

1235»

Comments

• Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    Nice political 'non answer' answer :)

How is it a non answer . You are assuming that there would be a race to the bottom. That does not need to happen.
  • AceMcCloudAceMcCloud Posts: 2,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C'mon Snody, you should know by now assumptions only work one way
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    How is it a non answer . You are assuming that there would be a race to the bottom. That does not need to happen.

for fear of going round in circles I'll repeat the question. If there ISN'T a race to the bottom what makes Scotland a more attractive business proposition than the SE of England?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for fear of going round in circles I'll repeat the question. If there ISN'T a race to the bottom what makes Scotland a more attractive business proposition than the SE of England?

Lots of things but unless you can be a bit more specific as to what businesses you are talking about ..........?
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

the weather? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Majlis wrote: »
    the weather? ;)

Aye, and you might be thankful for that one day...:D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/drought/9341793/Scotland-could-provide-water-for-South-East-England.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of things but unless you can be a bit more specific as to what businesses you are talking about ..........?

your beloved leader doesn't deal with specifics - he just makes sweeping statements about attracting new investment north of the border as if it's a given.

Strange that you ask me to be more specific about what those businesses might be when that's the first question you should be asking of Salmond?
    If you haven't asked it I can only wonder why not?
    if you have why don't you want to give a straight answer to a straightforward question?

If the plan isn't to try and bribe business up with offers they can't refuse (which we could easily match hence the race to the bottom question) what is it? If you don't know just say so
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    your beloved leader doesn't deal with specifics - he just makes sweeping statements about attracting new investment north of the border as if it's a given.

Strange that you ask me to be more specific about what those businesses might be when that's the first question you should be asking of Salmond?
    if you have why don't you want to give a straight answer to a straightforward question?

If the plan isn't to try and bribe business up with offers they can't refuse (which we could easily match hence the race to the bottom question) what is it? If you don't know just say so

Do you expect him to have advanced discussions with specific businesses on the off chance we vote yes?

This is the problem that so many people seem to have, consistently asking questions that no-one, even the divine Eck, can answer
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AceMcCloud wrote: »
    Do you expect him to have advanced discussions with specific businesses on the off chance we vote yes?

This is the problem that so many people seem to have, consistently asking questions that no-one, even the divine Eck, can answer

If you want to blindly follow a politician like a good little sheep then help yourself.

I wouldn't - not without seeing some meat on the bone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that's exactly what we're doing

we couldn't possibly share his belief or his optimism, we certainly couldn't have the faith in our abilities and the desire to make our own decisions

perish the thought that we think decisions made about Scotland should be made by those with some sort of experience and context of the constituences involved

no, we'll just follow on

oh wait, that's what we're trying to get away from
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want to blindly follow a politician like a good little sheep then help yourself.

I wouldn't - not without seeing some meat on the bone.

the person charge of the yes campaign is blair Jenkins
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It still depends what businesses you are talking about.
    What kind of workforce do they need. What natural resources do they need. What kind of quality of life does the workforce need. What infrastructure is there and is it suited to their needs. What markets are they aimed at ie luxury, midrange or cheap . Closeness to markets etc etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It still depends what businesses you are talking about.
    What kind of workforce do they need. What natural resources do they need. What kind of quality of life does the workforce need. What infrastructure is there and is it suited to their needs. What markets are they aimed at ie luxury, midrange or cheap . Closeness to markets etc etc.

Look, all I'm commenting on is the fact that you've got the SNP saying that one of the benefits of independence is the ability to control its own "fiscal levers" (give or take a currency, foreign central bank determining interest rates, borrowing limts and value of said currency :rolleyes:) and as recent as this morning (as they gather for the SNP conference) selling the notion that being able to determine corporation tax gives them the ability to attract new business.
    Attracting business into employment starved regions by offering them tax incentives (which is what they are talking about) when we're all singing off the same hymn sheet under a UK banner is one thing . Thinking rUK wont play the exact same card to attract those businesses into their own employment starved regions if you become a competitor quite another, hence my line of questions.

what I pick up on (rightly or wrongly and possibly due to soundbite media reporting) from my distant vantage point down in the Shires is a SNP party being allowed to casually sweep these kinds of things under the carpet with relative ease. You might be relaxed about that - all I'm saying is that if I was in your position I wouldn't be.
  • MagnamundianMagnamundian Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming both sides are offering the same incentives there's no escaping the fact that the south east offers a more accessible and larger market, transport infrastructure etc

basic logistics really.

All of which is pretty moot to any internet based businesses. As others have said it's all about the type of industry.

The SNP could offer certain types of tax break incentives for Inf-Tech industries looking at 'Silicon Glen' and other types for heavy industries looking at those areas which used to rely on ship building (and I challenge you to build a ship in Oxfordshire!).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of which is pretty moot to any internet based businesses. As others have said it's all about the type of industry.

The SNP could offer certain types of tax break incentives for Inf-Tech industries looking at 'Silicon Glen' and other types for heavy industries looking at those areas which used to rely on ship building (and I challenge you to build a ship in Oxfordshire!).

I come from an IT background and have seen departments relocate overnight pretty much on the whim of a new director wanting to go live in leafy Surrey. I've also seen many vanish to India (even trained a few up them up on how to take over my own job once it had gone!!) so basically anyone can compete for those IT/web based businesses hence, again, why I brought up the race to the bottom because why wouldn't a rUK government match/try to beat any tax break the SNP put on the table.

Oxfordshire!! Er...no - but Belfast? Tyneside? Chatham?

There are other reasons businesses and people flock to places like London that we've not even touched upon. Snob value being just one of them.

I say we're better off combining our strengths not dividing them and I don't buy the rosy image Salmond paints of it being better all round for everyone if Scotland breaks away.
    It's all to.......convenient for my taste.
  • MagnamundianMagnamundian Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I come from an IT background and have seen departments relocate overnight pretty much on the whim of a new director wanting to go live in leafy Surrey. I've also seen many vanish to India (even trained a few up them up on how to take over my own job once it had gone!!) so basically anyone can compete for those IT/web based businesses hence, again, why I brought up the race to the bottom because why wouldn't a rUK government match/try to beat any tax break the SNP put on the table.

Oxfordshire!! Er...no - but Belfast? Tyneside? Chatham?

There are other reasons businesses and people flock to places like London that we've not even touched upon. Snob value being just one of them.

I say we're better off combining our strengths not dividing them and I don't buy the rosy image Salmond paints of it being better all round for everyone if Scotland breaks away.
    It's all to.......convenient for my taste.

Belfast and Tyneside are in the south-east now?

Who knows what Scotland could or couldn't do, I just felt like addressing this notion that the South East was in some way better than any other part of the country.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Belfast and Tyneside are in the south-east now?

Nope, but they aint in Scotland either and it was you who brought up attracting ship building to an independant Scotland as if rUK weren't as capable as throwing a bid in.
    Who knows what Scotland could or couldn't do, I just felt like addressing this notion that the South East was in some way better than any other part of the country.

I'm not trying to say it's better simply remarking on the casual way the SNP try to sell the notion that them getting their post independence "fiscal levers" is some kind of magic pill.