People who have no life outside of work

Gordon ClownGordon Clown Posts: 612
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone know anyone like this?

There is a guy in my office who I feel sorry for. Since he has become a senior he has got a pay rise however he has told me his social life has suffered. He usually gets in the office at 7am and doesn't leave until 8pm and by then he says he is too knackered to do anything so just goes home and pretty much straight to bed.

Lately, he has even been working Saturdays as well so his only free day is Sunday which he says is starting to get him down. I feel sorry for him in the fact its not his choice really but then he did take this senior position.

I may be on less money than him but at least I have time to spend my money and have fun. What's the point in earning more if you cant have a life?

Comments

• EnidanEnidan Posts: 13,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The top main regret of men who are dying of a terminal illness is that they worked to hard.
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Sounds like my life that.
  • RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enidan wrote: »
    The top main regret of men who are dying of a terminal illness is that they worked to hard.

I'd say the top one would be the lazy sods and malingerers who never worked at all. Or maybe not.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    my eldest brother died at the age of 36 because he worked so hard and long hours had a lovely home a wife and daughter and tryed to give them everything he proved for them very well. his daughter was six years when he died. They did not miss all the things money could buy they missed him. he had worked himself in to the ground
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You seem rather a tad too interested in people's working lives as this is the second or third thread you created about this topic. Why is that?
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow OP, your colleague sounds like he spends too much time at work, have you asked him why? Perhaps he has debts and works longer to get more overtime to pay them. If it isn't that, then he is either not handling his workload properly or he cannot do the work expected of him.

Incidentally I do work with someone who does something like that - not due to overtime/extra bonus, but out of choice. I would normally feel sorry for someone like that if he didn't have ample opportunity at work to sort out what I feel to be 'limited social skills' and get over them, but doesn't.
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like he's not adapting to the promotion very well, which is no surprise. I remember when I first became a project lead, I felt that I had to do everything myself.

But that's not the case. Sure, you have increased responsibility but you also have the option to delegate work if need be.

The two most important skills I learned were delegation and time management. I still worked more than my colleagues, after all, but I was also in a position to not let work take over my life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no life outside of work, but it is down to having no friends or social skills, not due to work hours.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know anyone like this?

There is a guy in my office who I feel sorry for. Since he has become a senior he has got a pay rise however he has told me his social life has suffered. He usually gets in the office at 7am and doesn't leave until 8pm and by then he says he is too knackered to do anything so just goes home and pretty much straight to bed.

Lately, he has even been working Saturdays as well so his only free day is Sunday which he says is starting to get him down. I feel sorry for him in the fact its not his choice really but then he did take this senior position.

I may be on less money than him but at least I have time to spend my money and have fun. What's the point in earning more if you cant have a life?

Hmm, well I used to be like that and worked all the hours God sent to pay for my house and rise to a reasonably well paid position. But now my house is paid for and my standard of living quite good, I've eased off, and probably have more social life now, than when I was in my teens & 20's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    You seem rather a tad too interested in people's working lives as this is the second or third thread you created about this topic. Why is that?

There's always one! :rolleyes:

Yes, I know a few people like that and I feel sorry for them too. I know one who works way too hard, complains about it constantly, then recently applied for another job that is more money but will be even more work with much longer hours! :confused: I like my job but I like being at home more!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

We are (well many of us are) brought up to believe that work is what defines us, when asked most peoplewillreply to the question.What are you? by telling the enquirer what they do for a living, I'm a Doctor, Student, Teacher, Care worker, Unemployed has been added to the list too. but I have always believed this is only a part of who we are. I quite often cringe when I hear women 'demeen their role in life by saying "I'm Just a house wife and mother" I believe these two tasks are very important to the structure and adhesion of our community. but they preface their task with JUST, (I digress) the work ethic is an illusive thing in some it is so strong that they will neglect their families and in others it doesn't seem to exist. but I believe we need to develop a better attitude to work and family. One way this could be achieved is to build up the status of some of the duties we have as human beings that at the moment aren't considered work. Parenting, Housework, Caring for a child, relative, neighbour or animals. voluntry/charity work and fundraising and financial gift giving. These may not be work in the conventional view but they contribute so much to teh wellbeing of our society today that they should (in my opinion) hold a similar status, To achieve this awards and certificates, qualifications in these subjects could be given by state and charities etc. to som eextent this is begining to happen (for which I am greatful). I also feel that the status and wages in our society should not just reflect the amount of accodemic qualifications a person achieved in life. At the moment a person who has worked to the full extent of their ability, at university is generally awarded higher status and wages than the individual who has worked to the full extent of their ability at a college or on a more practical vocational course, and they are afforded a better standard of living/status than the individual who just gets a job and goes to work every day. In my view this is a very unfair and distorted way of rewarding effort. I don't think we will ever achieve the level of equality where the car washer and the uneversity professor are paid equally but surely every 'contributer to society' should receive a wage that allows them to live (a living wage) and those on Benefits should been couraged to do voluntry work etc to contribute to our society and be rewarded accordingly.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will go in on my days off etc, there is nothing wrong with enjoying work.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people who live to work are solely motivated by greed and money. Others probably don't have much choice but to live to work.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't win.

If you work part time, the Government demands you work more hours and calls you a scrounger (they're implementing measures to ensure part time workers are forced to work more hours under the forthcoming Universal Credit).
    If you work full time, you're likely to be pressured to do unpaid overtime to show your loyalty to your employer and how "you should be thankful you have a job".
    If you work all hours of the day, your home life suffers, you get accused of being anti-social and you suffer the real prospect of Karōshi which has taken many lives in Japan with their 24/7 culture.
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work to live not the other way round.In my profession I see many like that.There's quite a few ladies in their 40's who are single and just never seem to leave the place.
  • eulenspiegeleulenspiegel Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    In my experience, some people become wrapped up in their work and enjoy it but some people feel they must work long hours because it is 'expected' by their employers and there is always someone else breathing down their neck. I was getting into that position when I made the decision to become self-employed in 1997 and never looked back. I can work more-or-less when I want to and I set my own hours so that I can get the balance right between earning enough to have a reasonably comfortable life and time to enjoy it. Plus, nobody will give me a gold watch at a certain age: I can carry on working as long as I am able to do it.
  • Gordon ClownGordon Clown Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will go in on my days off etc, there is nothing wrong with enjoying work.

But cant you find other things to fill your days with? Like seeing friends, going on day trips, shopping etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work Mon - Friday been in the job 24 yrs( 53 yrs old worked since 16) and hate it now don't do overtime with my job i am out in all weather, having health problems now could not care less about work now hoping to get out in health grounds or voluntary redundency on offer right now.

Your health is more important than working all the time and not having a life!
  • n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    I have no life outside of work, but it is down to having no friends or social skills, not due to work hours.

I was gonna post that but you beat me to it. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my old managers is like this. 30, still lives with her parents. Has no friends or social life. She has the personality of a sieve. She is awfully sad.
  • mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    At the age of 23 I had a promotion to a manager role and it was too much too young. I was given no support and had to deal with everything from problems with staff to the point I felt like a social worker to running a department in the height of summer with with pressure to cut the hours back

After only a few months I had a breakdown. I had weeks with no day off, wasn't eating, sometimes starting at 6am finishing at midnight and my life really suffered.

Before that I was an average young person, went to work left on time each day and was always out visiting family and friends and had quite a party lifestyle on the weekend. Within a space of a week I went from 40 hours to 80 hours And yes the money was good but what's the point if it's just sitting in your bank
  • mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    ylomyloh wrote: »
    One of my old managers is like this. 30, still lives with her parents. Has no friends or social life. She has the personality of a sieve. She is awfully sad.

Maybe she was promoted at a young age and her work took over, because of this she lost her friends
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are (well many of us are) brought up to believe that work is what defines us, when asked most peoplewillreply to the question.What are you? by telling the enquirer what they do for a living, I'm a Doctor, Student, Teacher, Care worker, Unemployed has been added to the list too. but I have always believed this is only a part of who we are. I quite often cringe when I hear women 'demeen their role in life by saying "I'm Just a house wife and mother" I believe these two tasks are very important to the structure and adhesion of our community. but they preface their task with JUST, (I digress) the work ethic is an illusive thing in some it is so strong that they will neglect their families and in others it doesn't seem to exist. but I believe we need to develop a better attitude to work and family. One way this could be achieved is to build up the status of some of the duties we have as human beings that at the moment aren't considered work. Parenting, Housework, Caring for a child, relative, neighbour or animals. voluntry/charity work and fundraising and financial gift giving. These may not be work in the conventional view but they contribute so much to teh wellbeing of our society today that they should (in my opinion) hold a similar status, To achieve this awards and certificates, qualifications in these subjects could be given by state and charities etc. to som eextent this is begining to happen (for which I am greatful). I also feel that the status and wages in our society should not just reflect the amount of accodemic qualifications a person achieved in life. At the moment a person who has worked to the full extent of their ability, at university is generally awarded higher status and wages than the individual who has worked to the full extent of their ability at a college or on a more practical vocational course, and they are afforded a better standard of living/status than the individual who just gets a job and goes to work every day. In my view this is a very unfair and distorted way of rewarding effort. I don't think we will ever achieve the level of equality where the car washer and the uneversity professor are paid equally but surely every 'contributer to society' should receive a wage that allows them to live (a living wage) and those on Benefits should been couraged to do voluntry work etc to contribute to our society and be rewarded accordingly.:)

I completely agree with and like most of your post. However, I'm startled by the bit in bold. Who would want a system where university professors are paid the same as a car washer? We want the very bright and capable to strive to achieve so we can continue to give people a great education and strive for excellence in services. Society would collapse if there wasn't a reward for achievement. In fact, it has already happened in Ireland to an extent. Carpenters and plumbers had mansions with two new cars outside the door and several foreign holidays a year. That went well, didn't it?

Pay should reflect the importance of the work you do, the level of education required to get there, the hours you put in and what only a few have the ability/brains/competence to do should be recognised as such.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But cant you find other things to fill your days with? Like seeing friends, going on day trips, shopping etc.

I could but I like my job. I enjoy my job. I would rather be at work than shopping, any day.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Pay

What would you propose in a post-scarcity economy? Or to put it another way, should some things be rationed so people can feel important?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_and_Out_in_the_Magic_Kingdom#Concepts

Whuffie replaces money and is a constantly updated rating that measures how much esteem and respect other people have for you. This rating system determines who gets the few scarce items, like the best housing, a table in a crowded restaurant, or a good place in a queue for a theme park attraction.