Options

tidying a teenagers room..aged 14

gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
Forum Member
✭✭✭
is it normal to be accused of nagging and to leave him in peace..teenage boy aged 14

i mean, i have to get his uniform, socks and the like and wash them..or shall i just leave it.??..

jeez

Comments

• Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not meaning to be rude, but does this question really nead asking.

Get them, wash them, don't disguss - it's not optional.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    Not meaning to be rude, but does this question really nead asking.

Get them, wash them, don't disguss - it's not optional.

i suppose..i only stopped to continue our chat over dinner...

i suppose he is online with his mates..

ah well
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've often been tempted not to tidy up, hang clothes up or wash them but I usually give in and do it anyway. He'll appreciate it one day!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    I've often been tempted not to tidy up, hang clothes up or wash them but I usually give in and do it anyway. He'll appreciate it one day!

im sure, opal fruits wrappers everywhere as well..:blush:
  • Options
    damianswifedamianswife Posts: 1,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It gets worse.......soggy tissues spring to mind. I thought they were due to early hay fever til a friend pointed out the reality.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he must want something..hes sitting downstairs now

:blush:
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he must want something..hes sitting downstairs now

:blush:

Perhaps he wants feeding, opal fruits won't sustain him!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    Perhaps he wants feeding, opal fruits won't sustain him!

no way..hes just had a steak

made the little....sorry butter wouldnt melt ..fill the dishwasher

:)
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it normal to be accused of nagging and to leave him in peace..teenage boy aged 14

i mean, i have to get his uniform, socks and the like and wash them..or shall i just leave it.??..

jeez
    "Bring your laundry down son or it doesn't get done and it gets done when I do it".

Don't tidy his bedroom, clench your teeth, he will tidy his bedroom, it took a two month silent war of attrition before one of our sons gave in and Mum won. :)

But by far our girls bedrooms were the worse, they could, with out to much effort, make bedroom paradises look like tips in a few short hours.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    My son has only just started keeping his room respectable. His room on base id pristine though. He does need somewhere though to be himself and home is it. Unless he wants a Corporal bending his ear! ;)
    Don't fall out over his room. It's his space. Go in get his uniform, wash it, put it back. As long as there is no fungal growth in there or pests like cockroaches or rats prowling it's not the biggest issue in the world. And he'll soon grow out of it. Especially when girls enter his consciousness.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Teenagers want absolute, unequivocal, inviolable privacy. The way to intimidate them is not to threaten them with not doing their washing any more. It's to silently keep going into their rooms when they're out to take the dirty washing, change the bed sheets and - most importantly - move the furniture around. Make sure they realise what's happened when they come home.

Leave them not a single inch of privacy and they'll soon become frustrated. If they complain, just calmly tell them you need to get the dirty washing and change the bed sheets, as though they're still babies. They'll soon have to choose privacy or childhood, instead of trying to play you for the best of both worlds.

If you do find soggy tissues hidden under the bed, just take them out and place them openly in a bedroom bin to be emptied by the perpetrator at leisure, without saying a word. Seeing them moved will be enough to mortify the blighter, and that's all part of 'helping' them adapt from the childhood bedroom they've become accustomed to, to teenage life where they're becoming people living under your roof.

This is the complication we've all brought upon ourselves by ceasing to beat them and send them up chimneys from an early age. Ed Miliband will only make things worse.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember years ago, going round to my mate's house.

He had just turned 20 at the time and he had a huge black bin-liner in the corner of his bedroom, filled to the brim with empty beer cans! :eek:

Horrible, and very smelly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember years ago, going round to my mate's house.

He had just turned 20 at the time and he had a huge black bin-liner in the corner of his bedroom, filled to the brim with empty beer cans! :eek:

Horrible, and very smelly.

Out of interest, if he had it as cushy as that in his parents house, how old was he before he moved out, and was it to a council flat?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of interest, if he had it as cushy as that in his parents house, how old was he before he moved out, and was it to a council flat?

I haven't seen him for years but my brother spotted him in a pub, just round the corner from his parents house so he must still be living there. He'll be 31 now.

Always was fat and lazy. Never paid any board either.
  • Options
    Ivory219Ivory219 Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    I've got two teenage boys, 19 & 15 so I've had all the "Don't come in my room OMG" Sh*te lol
    If it's not in the washing basket, it doesn't get washed. Simple. They soon learnt when they'd ran out of clean clothes:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ivory219 wrote: »
    I've got two teenage boys, 19 & 15 so I've had all the "Don't come in my room OMG" Sh*te lol
    If it's not in the washing basket, it doesn't get washed. Simple. They soon learnt when they'd ran out of clean clothes:D

It's funny, 13 year old kids were working down the pit 70 years ago. Nowadays, 19 is still seen as a child.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen him for years but my brother spotted him in a pub, just round the corner from his parents house so he must still be living there. He'll be 31 now.

Always was fat and lazy. Never paid any board either.

I had a teenage friend who simply wouldn't get a job. Left school as soon as he was 16, two terms before the end of the school year, and went straight on the dole. The last time I ever met him, he spent the whole afternoon whinging he was 21 with no girlfriend, car or money, and was living in a caravan at the bottom of his brother's garden without even a TV.

Like I said, it was the last time I ever met the lazy swine. The last I heard, he was supposedly living on a really rough council estate, still on the dole, and now with a dog.
  • Options
    Ivory219Ivory219 Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    It's funny, 13 year old kids were working down the pit 70 years ago. Nowadays, 19 is still seen as a child.

Obviously my eldest is now much better :D
  • Options
    autumnautumn Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The good old, bad old days.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    My mum did when I was 14.

My parents would have allowed me to sit on my arse until i was 21, but my father has always worked so I wanted to work.

And once you have the taste of earned money its hard to imagine life without some sort of money coming in.

I was on the dole for a few months, and the money felt fake.
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    I didn't tidy my teenagers' rooms or change their beds. Yes I nagged them to bring down washing and strip beds but if they didn't do it it wasn't done. I did their washing and ironing but they could also wash, iron and cook when they had to.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kids won't change as long as you keep being their servant. its up to you if you want to put your foot down or not.
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teenagers want absolute, unequivocal, inviolable privacy. The way to intimidate them is not to threaten them with not doing their washing any more. It's to silently keep going into their rooms when they're out to take the dirty washing, change the bed sheets and - most importantly - move the furniture around. Make sure they realise what's happened when they come home.

Leave them not a single inch of privacy and they'll soon become frustrated. If they complain, just calmly tell them you need to get the dirty washing and change the bed sheets, as though they're still babies. They'll soon have to choose privacy or childhood, instead of trying to play you for the best of both worlds.

If you do find soggy tissues hidden under the bed, just take them out and place them openly in a bedroom bin to be emptied by the perpetrator at leisure, without saying a word. Seeing them moved will be enough to mortify the blighter, and that's all part of 'helping' them adapt from the childhood bedroom they've become accustomed to, to teenage life where they're becoming people living under your roof.

This is the complication we've all brought upon ourselves by ceasing to beat them and send them up chimneys from an early age. Ed Miliband will only make things worse.

This is absolutely brilliance. OP, by all means follow this golden advice. Pretty soon your child will be doing his own hoovering and if you're truly lucky, asking for instructions on how to use the washing machine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm.... I wouldn't be certain he was going to grow out of it any time soon..... I'm 21, and....... yeah.

Weirdly though, I keep the living areas of my home immaculate.
  • Options
    DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 14yr old daughters room is always a tip, tell her and her siblings if its not down for wash then i assume it dont need washing.

She mostly brings stuff down. When her room gets to bad for to long we cut off her wifi till its done. You would be amazed at how fast it gets cleaned ;)