Comments

• Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can all time lords regenerate ?
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I understand it, and anyone who has more Doctor Who knowledge than I do feel free to step in and correct me, The Doctor is a character, the regenerations are personalities of that core character.
    The character I believe is constant, the personas he adopts with each regeneration are variable.

The reason I suspect that the current Doctor is cold and judgemental towards the John Hurt incarnation is possibly that he might want to see the John Hurt Doctor as a separate person in order to distance himself from the terrible events that 'The Doctor' committed.

Maybe like a soldier who was in a war, then comes back to civilian life to rehabilitate and adjust, but who can only deal with terrible events that occurred by seeing himself as a different person back then because the guilt is too painful. I'm in no way saying that is necessarily typical behaviour because everybody is different.
    A much lighter analogy might be somebody who absolves themselves from guilt by saying that they were drunk at the time and 'I was a different person'.
    Or even somebody who did something bad when they were younger, but who is a much older person now, and says 'I was a different person back then'.

I don't think he wants to seperate himself from what he did , as he said they're all him , I think that after JH the Doctor has been trying to atone for what he did .

but this begs a question - what bad things has the Doctor we know done ? all the 11 versions - I mean we've seen him do morally questionable things haven't we ?
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think he wants to seperate himself from what he did , as he said they're all him , I think that after JH the Doctor has been trying to atone for what he did .

but this begs a question - what bad things has the Doctor we know done ? all the 11 versions - I mean we've seen him do morally questionable things haven't we ?

I think that this is something we might do subconsciously without necessarily wanting to or not.
    Doctor 9 (Chris Eccleston) was certainly traumatized by guilt after the Time War, but at the same time there were examples where he also excused himself when accused by other aliens such as The Nestene Consciousness and that Slitheen over dinner.

Since Doctor 9 and 10, the Doctor has occasionally carried out some dubious actions which I'd say were not 'in the name of the Doctor'. If you think back there are episodes where this is illustrated quite prominently.
    As time has gone on it appears that with Doctor 11 he seems to be more carefree and childlike, as though all the guilt has dissipated and he has moved on trouble free. But maybe this is about the right time for the Matt Smith Doctor to have a really dark Doctor storyline.
    Maybe.

Some morally questionable things that the Doctor has done from Chris Ecclestone to Matt Smith.
    From what I can remember...
    The cold blooded murder of Cassandra.
    Gone complete apeshit psycho in the episode 'Dalek'.
    In Human Nature/Family of Blood, there is a scene where he banishes some aliens or something in the depths of the Tardis to get rid of them. all done very cold bloodedly.
    There was the scene where he slammed the Tardis door shut on 'old' Amy and left her behind. Interesting detail, straight after he did that he briefly looked directly at a reflection of himself.

Those are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. my memory of Doctor Who won't be as clear as others who I'm sure could list some other examples.

The Great Intelligence said that The Doctor will increasingly show his dark side over time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I wonder what the Master or Rani's promise was?
    Well the meaning of Master is fairly obvious, and presumably his promise was to be the Master or ruler of everyone.

Ditto, the original Hindi meaning of Rani is Queen - which is why 'The Rani' chose it. Again, to rule over others.

The Doctor chose 'Doctor' as he wished to help make people better.

John Hurt's character promised to bring 'Peace & Sanity' ... or in other-words, "Silence".
  • finn946finn946 Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    coming back to the end of time 1 + 2, the time lords said, "the doctor still possesses the moment"

maybe that is John Hurt's name, The Moment
  • FATCHOPSFATCHOPS Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe John Hurt was supposed to be from before our First Doctor and the terrible thing he did (blew up a star to give his people the power to travel in time) caused the First Doctor to change his name to disassociate himself from the crime.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sh'boobie wrote: »
    The Doctor chose 'Doctor' as he wished to help make people better.

Balls.:p

Doctore is the character who moulds other characters into fighting for him whereas the Dominus or Domina at least were ranks who drove their own fate rather than hiding behind companions.

Doctore is a cowards name, unlike Master or Rani