Options

DWTS Week 5, 18th April UKTV

martyboymartyboy Posts: 1,078
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A few [male] impressions:

Having seen the rave press reviews of the show, I felt slightly disappointed seeing the actual show. Latin week ought to be spectacular, and as we're half way through the series, the weak celebs have gone, and the remaining ones ought to be getting on top of the technique. But none of the performances wowed me this week (maybe mental/physical fatigue is beginning to set in).

Samantha
Samantha also presents and reports for E! News. I noticed her in the week, in a leotard, reporting on some new gym workout routine. Very tasty.

Mario & Karina
I liked Karina's costume, very sambery. I think yellow is the samba-colour. (Just as you expect tango to be red). Just wearing yellow is worth a couple of points. And Karina had an amazingly deep tan. She looked good.

This dance had the samba spirit. Though I'm never entirely convinced about Mario's technique.

Mario seems to have lost a bit of the cockiness that he had at the start of the series, which makes him a bit more likeable. A few low scores in previous weeks have done him good.

Priscilla & Louis
Whoever designed Priscilla's outfit. Karina looked as through she was going to a party, but Priscilla looked set for a funeral. Priscilla's skirt was short, but I thought the rest of her outfit looked frumpy. And who decided on that makeup. She seemed the only person not to have a fake tan, and seemed deliberately pale, and with those heavily made up panda eyes, and straight almost-red hair, she seemed to me to be "goth"-like. Goth and rhumba don't mix.

Didn't care for the rather strained vocals on this piece either.

I've never been a fan of Priscilla, or Louis. Louis reminds me a bit of James Jordan, a bit humourless.

Marissa & Tony
Marissa throws everything into her performance, and was very convincing as an unhibited party animal. Very rhythmic too.

Marissa always seems to have her hair done in the same style every week. It was a big pity that she didn't do the dance with that Carmen Miranda headdress on.

Christian & Cheryl
An attractive looking pair, with plenty of enthousiasm. I liked the "dream sequence" in the practice clip.

For the main performance, Cheryl looked nice, and I quite liked the performance. Perhaps it was a bit basic. Interesting comments from Carrie about the performance not being "super-erotic".

Marlee & Fabian
I really liked Marlee's efforts (although the judges didn't). Marlee began with some very convincing shaking it all about and had some good hip movements. She didn't have the quite the abandon of Marissa. But I enjoyed Marlee's performance the best of anyone's.

Kristi & Mark
I was expecting great things here (from the initial press reviews), but was a little disappointed. It was certainly a very good performance. It was acted very well, and with the music it was romantic. But I didn't think Kristi had the hip actions and sinousness. Plenty of wavy arm movements. A move that they did towards the end, where she he hooked her leg over his, and went into a laying-back position just above the floor was "fabulous".

In previous weeks I didn't rave about Kristi's performance on the night. And then, when you watch the performances again, on the Saturday or Sunday repeats, you do realise how good they are.

Len's comments on the performance - "3 words, fab-u-lous" - a comment originally made, I think, by Craig RH about Alesha.

Shannon & Derek
I like Shannon and Derek, but was disappointed with this performance.

I think tall girls can often have a problem with samba, physically, and it also seems to be a very difficult dance to pick up.

Not sure about Shannon's appearance. It was "different", quite young looking, and partyish, but I wasn't wowed by her costume. The performance lacked the shaking-it-all-about, and the hip shaking. It was a good effort, and she did the best she could, but it was too stiff. Her comments in the results show - about doing the best she could in the time - were accurate and honest. Anyway, they survived, and we're not in the bottom two.

Jason & Edyta
Didn't care for Jason's outfit. It was relaxed, and probably in keeping with Jason's "smart casual" image, but it didn't go with Edyta's costume.

Rhumba can be very difficult for male celebs (as we always see on SCD), and Jason did a good job. A lot better than most men. I still think Jason was again overmaked, compared with Christian.

I didn't like Edyta's upside-down-leg-up-in-the-air thing, the one described by Jason as "crazy". Nor did Len. Though I do think that rhumba is a dance where the man is supposed to showcase the girl, so the girl ought to be doing something a bit special.

Carrie described their chemistry as "insane". Wouldn't agree with that.

Results Show
The featured band/group played a really good samba rhythm (better than most of the sambas in the main show). Very disapppointed not to see Julianne Hough among the pro dancers. Obviously off to better things.

Not sold on the kiddies piece. They ought to have several mini-couples on at the same time. That would lessen the pressure on them as individuals, enable more of them to get on TV, and also make the whole thing a bit shorter.

As "paosdoble" mentioned last week, the "behind the scenes" is always interesting (like the illuminating feature about the band DWTS did in a pevious series, and there was also a good one on SCD where Darren Bennett explained how he choreographed a dance - by listening for the accents in the music, and fitting key moves around them, etc). I had no-idea that DWTS worked out of a car park full of trailers.

James Blunt - really didn't like this. Couldn't make out all the words, but it seemed depressing stuff he was singing about "Trouble our only friend...". Completely out of place on this upbeat show. And I wasn't that keen on the pro dancers. Not as good as last week's. The barefoot gymnastic performance was like something from "So You Think You Can Dance", and I'd rather see that done by enthousiastic amateurs there. Perhaps there was meant to be some deep contrast between James Blunt's gloomy view and the lightness of the dance.

Comments

• Options
    pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    Mario & Karina
    I liked their samba, but it didn't blow me away. I was glad they got good scores as Mario has been on a downer for a couple of weeks, with others getting fab scores for average dances (IMHO). I'm a huge fan of Stevie Wonder so it was lovely to see him.

Priscilla & Louis
    My least favourite couple. I didn't like her dress, and I didn't enjoy her rumba. Her splits impressed me but it was definitely my least favourite dance of the night.

Marissa & Tony
    I enjoyed Marissa's tigger-esque performance - so much bounce! I think the samba and jive really suit shorter people. I liked her outfit too.

Christian & Cheryl
    Like Marty boy I liked the dream sequence here, but the dance clearly did not make a lasting impression on me as this morning when I was going over all the dances I couldn't remember if C&C has danced a rumba or a samba :o

Marlee & Fabian
    Marlee's still my favourite - I think I'll cry if she's voted off :( I enjoyed her samba, didn't think it was as bad as the judges made it out to be. She looked so sad when she realised she was close to the bottom of the leaderboard...

Kristi & Mark
    A very competent rumba but I didn't enjoy it, it wasn't passionate enough for me. I just can't take to Kristi, I'm sorry. I've tried, I really have. And Daniel Bedingfield's IYNTO didn't help matters!

Shannon & Derek
    I enjoyed Shannon's samba but I expected better - a bit like Alesha's samba last year. I think the comments were fair. What's this about a showmance between Shannon and Derek? Not that it did anything for Sabrina and Mark last year, votes-wise.

I think the music (Rihanna's Pon The Replay) worked very well with the choreography.

Jason & Edyta
    I too didn't like his outfit, and I thought he looked a bit unweildy, but the rumba is a difficult dance for the male celebs - even the male pros look daft doing it (IMHO). It was a good effort though.

Results Show
    Really enjoyed Ozomatli. Didn't enjoy the kids, the whole thing doesn't fit in with the show - will be better on "so you think you can dance"

James Blunt - used his slot to reply to a couple of texts.

Enjoyed the "behind the scenes" - one of the best parts of the result show. So much time on ITT is wasted on rubbish - we need more of this on Stictly.

Bottom 2 - exactly the bottom 2 I'd have picked. This season the DWTS voting has been every predictable. Wonder when the first shock of the season will happen?!
  • Options
    jacquiannjacquiann Posts: 2,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting the right hump with my Sky+ it cut off the beginning of the first show & then failed on the 2nd (& Criminal Minds failed too :mad:). Luckily we've got special insurance so we're calling out the engineer next week.
    I only caught the very end of results on UKGold +1, so not sure who was in the bottom two with the looser.
    Don't think I'll bother re-watching on Sun though from what's been said above. I really don't like watching those "mini-pro's" dancing (I can't believe they dragged another lot on - surely one week was enough torture?) Although I do like James Blunt I don't think his durge type music is in keeping with this shows intention, (happ-y-ness & fun :D).

Mario's dancing I missed so I can't comment but liked the costumes.
    Priscilla's hair & dress looked awful (although her lips are getting less swollen & stiff) & the dance made me cringe (I kept shutting my eyes).
    Marissa was great & her costume a bit better. Yes agree they should be more experimental with her luscious, thick hair.
    Christian I liked but not "wow"; he is so great looking & has such a good body I can't understand why he does not exude animal sexuality :confused: Is he gay, or is it just me?
    Marlee I thought was good, I did not notice the slips & her poor timing was not that glaringly obvious to me either.
    Kristi, lovely technique but I agree with martyboy not quite on the button. Mark looked so hot though in those clingy pants corrrrr :o.
    Shannon - she tried so hard but disappointing. I looked her up & she's 35 :eek: - I thought she was about 10 yrs younger as I've never seen her before in any of her films etc. (Fyi Derek is 12 years her junior).
    Jason - looked good but was playing Edyta's pole.
    Yes a bit of a flat show imo, celeb's are getting tired now I reckon. Hopefully the pace will pick up & we get a ensemble showdance next week. No more kids perleeeeessssse ;).
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    Shannon = usually the competitors have at least one dance that isn't their dance. This wasn't her dance. Poor music for the dance did not help either. But I am glad she is still in the competition as I feel she has more to give.

Marissa - I admire her pluck and enthusiasm but I don't really rate her performances. I don't think the choices of music or costume are helping.

Mario - this week, I take back my earlier criticisms of Karina somewhat as I think she got the choreography spot on and allowed him to show that he can dance an authentic routine. Although I am not sure she's helping his cause by calling him "Poopy"! Good music for this couple too.

Priscilla - I actually liked the choreography of this but think it was let down by being a bit too slow. The top and bangle were also ill advised and added to the problems by causing wardrobe malfunctions.

Jason - this was a hard dance for a big guy and I agree with Len that Edyta was perhaps overshadowing him a bit, but once again a very good performance from him.

Kristi - once again great technique and she is at last beginning to convey the spirit and emotion of dances better as well.

Kristian - lovely chemistry with Cheryl but not very outstanding choreography. Bit of a let down after last week.

Marlee - I felt that she was bound to struggle in this one because of the speed and rhythm. I don't want to berate Fabian but perhaps she would have done better with choreography related more closely to the rhythm i.e. focus more on steps and less on movements ont he spot.
  • Options
    LilystarLilystar Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    My thoughts on this week:

Mario and Karina - much improved over last week - I actually enjoyed his performance this week for the first time. I think it seemed like he was actually trying to do well, rather than rely on the natural rhythm and movement he has as a musical person. I think Karina's costume was fabulous, but insane!!

Priscilla and Louis - yes, her costume was a bit on the odd side, and I was very unimpressed by the performance overall - with the exception of the splits, which I do totally give her credit for, I can't really remember it.

Marissa and Tony - defintely her best performance so far, I think because the samba suited her so well. I agree with others that the samba is better suited to shorter dancers, it seems harder for the 'leggy' ones to look as bouncy. I think Marissa may struggle with two dances from next week though....

Cristian and Cheryl - I thought Len's comments about this were fair, it was a competent but not superb example of a rumba. I didn't particularly agree with Carrie-Anne about the lack of chemistry, I think it was there but just not so 'in your face'. In a lot of ways, the performance reminded me of Matt and Flavia's rumba in Strictly, and shows again that this is a much harder dance for male celebs, as they are required to stand about a lot, not doing much! I don't think they deserved to be in the bottom two, but I do own up to them being one of my favourites, so I want them to stay!

Marlee and Fabian - Marlee had a bad week, I don't think that can be disputed, however the parts of the dance which went ok were pretty good - she had good hip movement and a good bouncy pace, however there were just too many mistakes to cover up in the performance. I felt really bad for her, and I don't want to see her go, so I very much hope that she can come back from this with a good week next week.

Kristi and Mark - for the first time, I thought 'wow' after one of Kristi's dances. She definitely managed to show some emotion this week, and came across as much less of a robot, although as Carrie-Anne pointed out, it was at the expense of some of her technique. I thought her comments about needing an alter-ego to act as she did were interesting - it may explain why generally actors etc find the performance aspects of the show easier than the sports stars, but then again, it seems to be the sports stars who win....

Shannon and Derek - when she says she's still working on her cardio fitness, I don't think she's kidding - I am amazed at how exhausted she seems after each dance, and I do wonder how she will cope next week. Overall I didn't think this was her best dance, but I'm not sure it was as bad as the judges made out - and like jacquiann I am stunned that she's 35, she does look a lot younger, but still very natural, I think. They are another of my favourite couples, and I hope all the 'showmance' rumours don't distract them.

Jason and Edyta - again, this is not a good dance for male celebs - I think Jason's opinion of Edyta's 'upside down-leg in the air' pose about sums it up - he's just there to stand and support her while she shows off. Not sure what they were thinking of with his costume - there's relaxed, and then there's relaxed! I don't think this was a massively better dance than Cristian and Cheryl's.

Results show - why is it that American children always come across like scary robots on TV? The mini-dancers are fantastic, but when they start talking it's like they are not little kids at all. Very strange. Loved Ozomatli and the pro dancers, muted the sound during James Blunt, though the exhibition dancers were ok but not that great.

I do think that the right couple from the bottom two went, I'm just not sure that Cristian and Cheryl deserved to be in the bottom two. Overall I don't think it was that great a week, but I am really looking forward to the group country number next week!