Options

iPhone 4 Jailbreak is out

TIVO_YORK99TIVO_YORK99 Posts: 317
Forum Member
The iphone 4 jailbreak has been released.

http://jailbreakme.com - just following the instructions. You must go to this page from the iPhone itself.

Comments

• Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Works great thanks :). Nice to have a device without restrictions :D.
  • Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slight problem in the fact after a restart you will lose MMS and Face Time, but not for me because I don't use either.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have sucesfully tethered my iPad and iPhone together now so I'm happy :)
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slight problem in the fact after a restart you will lose MMS and Face Time, but not for me because I don't use either.

Apparently if you restore a backup via iTunes that will fix it. The DevTeam are looking at the issue though.
  • Options
    TIVO_YORK99TIVO_YORK99 Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Facetime and MMS have now been fixed, just go into Cydia and an essential upgrade is available.

Apparantly it was just a permissions error.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Works great thanks :). Nice to have a device without restrictions :D.

just to confirm its fully working????

also if so do you need to be connected to wi-fi or is 3g enough ????
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    I have sucesfully tethered my iPad and iPhone together now so I'm happy :)

I'm new to Jailbreaking. What app from the Cydia store do you use to enable tethering on the iPhone?
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm new to Jailbreaking. What app from the Cydia store do you use to enable tethering on the iPhone?

there's a few, like mywi 4.0 and tether
  • Options
    kosmos5457kosmos5457 Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, can anyone please tell me, how long should it take to download the jailbreak software (cydia)?

I seem to be getting the message "Oops... File received was truncated". I have done a retry a few times over as it gives me that option to retry or quit. I seem to be finding this message appearing time and time again at different points during the downloading stage of the process. I don't know if it just doesn't like the connection here or something. I'm thinking of driving over to my dads soon to see if it will download any faster there and actually work. I can't exactly go in his house though as he is away at the moment.

I've heard of people having this problem, quitting and trying again later but then nothing happens. Some have reported that a hard reset is required to fix this, while others have said just delete, history, cookies and cache in settings. I'm wondering what I should try next and even whether anyone has had success with the jailbreak.modmyi.com alternative source.
  • Options
    DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As cool as it is, it's also very worrying. They use a remote code execution flaw in PDF handling to install run the jail break code. To put it another way, there is a bug in mobile Safari that anyone could use to run code on your device and install any manner of malware.

So much for the protection afforded by Apple's app store.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JOHN_K wrote: »
    just to confirm its fully working????

also if so do you need to be connected to wi-fi or is 3g enough ????

Yep fully working, I done the jailbreak on the standard 3g connection, it only took a minute or so to do :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm using MyWi 4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    As cool as it is, it's also very worrying. They use a remote code execution flaw in PDF handling to install run the jail break code. To put it another way, there is a bug in mobile Safari that anyone could use to run code on your device and install any manner of malware.

So much for the protection afforded by Apple's app store.

Yes it is a bit scary. Just navigating to a website from your iPhone's browser is all it takes. Apple have apparently already fixed this exploit in 4.1 beta, but Jailbreakers will not update until a hack has been created for that too.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kosmos5457 wrote: »
    Right, can anyone please tell me, how long should it take to download the jailbreak software (cydia)?

I seem to be getting the message "Oops... File received was truncated". I have done a retry a few times over as it gives me that option to retry or quit. I seem to be finding this message appearing time and time again at different points during the downloading stage of the process. I don't know if it just doesn't like the connection here or something. I'm thinking of driving over to my dads soon to see if it will download any faster there and actually work. I can't exactly go in his house though as he is away at the moment.

I've heard of people having this problem, quitting and trying again later but then nothing happens. Some have reported that a hard reset is required to fix this, while others have said just delete, history, cookies and cache in settings. I'm wondering what I should try next and even whether anyone has had success with the jailbreak.modmyi.com alternative source.

http://jailbreakme.modmyi.com (from memory - check engadget) is the right address, you missed the ME bit

i tried the first link twice this morning and it wasn't working, each time i cleared the cache in safari and turned on and off, then i tried the mirror and it worked first time via wifi. it took 1 or 2 mins to download, then maybe 5 to 10 mins max to install and reboot. there's a timeline thing that shows you it's working, once you get past the purple screen

it could be that it's busy again now that america has woken up to hear about the jailbreak, so just keep trying
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone got five in a row to work, I have the dock working but can't get the springboard to work,even though it installs still not working
  • Options
    Ian KaneIan Kane Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it'll be a day or 2 before all the Cydia apps you know and love will be working. They'll need to be updated for iOS4.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The title should say iOS 4 jailbreak as it works on all devices running that OS, including iPods and iPads.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just done mine. Easiest JB ever... although Cydia seems like it's being hammered.

As mentioned above though, the flaw itself is worrying. Apple must have a patch on the way soon...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    The title should say iOS 4 jailbreak as it works on all devices running that OS, including iPods and iPads.

The iPad is still running iOS 3 - but it works fine :)

Although it's supposed to not work properly yet on the iPad - but it seems to...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Just done mine. Easiest JB ever... although Cydia seems like it's being hammered.

As mentioned above though, the flaw itself is worrying. Apple must have a patch on the way soon...

Yep - looks like Cydia's server is creaking under the strain...
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    The iPad is still running iOS 3 - but it works fine :)

Although it's supposed to not work properly yet on the iPad - but it seems to...

Yeah meant iOS 4 or below :)
  • Options
    spursgaleaspursgalea Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The iphone 4 jailbreak has been released.

http://jailbreakme.com - just following the instructions. You must go to this page from the iPhone itself.

Thank you so Mutch for posting I have
    Waitig for this
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess with those external moisture detectors being very random it may not matter for some anyway.

But is it really worth losing the warranty?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I guess with those external moisture detectors being very random it may not matter for some anyway.

But is it really worth losing the warranty?
    Well it is totally reversible and Jailbreaking has just been ruled completely legal in the US. So if Apple decide not to honour a warranty based on hardware fault because at some point in time you may have briefly jailbroken the phone, they're on pretty shaky ground IMHO.

Besides many non-iPhone owners were moaning that the iPhone is too locked down. Some of us who have them even agree on that. For me it's handy sometimes to create a wifi hotspot using the phone. The official (paid for) iPhone tethering solution only provides USB or Bluetooth tether not WiFi. Not to mention, that I have always Jailbroken in the past, and not had any problems with Apple.