Have you ever experienced racism or another form of prejudice?

Comments

• bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fairness I can honestly say I have never experienced racism or any other form of prejudice, to the best of my knowledge.
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    AJ21 wrote: »
    this still happpens today, but it is foreigners and immigrants that get priority over any else

a family of somaili's were given a 2 million pound house to live in while a disabled soldier was made to live a high rise cheap council flat

What shocked all 3 of us at the time was that I was most at risk (if the house caught fire, which it might well have done, given the faulty water heaters etc, I would not have been able to get out, but both of them would have!), yet I had the fewest points. Skin colour should be irrelevant - it should be based on need.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I appear to be invisible, I think it's because I'm quite short. In a pub I wait forever to get served, tall people come and go and get served and I wait and I wait and I wait.
    Happens in shops too, I waited ages in a chemist to get served, must have been stood there ten minutes waiting for the assistant to stop arsing about with the pharmacist and come serve me. As soon as another woman appeared next to me, the assistant came over and served her!

Never experienced racism as a white woman.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AJ21 wrote: »
    this still happpens today, but it is foreigners and immigrants that get priority over any else

a family of somaili's were given a 2 million pound house to live in while a disabled soldier was made to live a high rise cheap council flat

I don't think those two events were related though. Wasn't there an admin error with the disabled soldier because he didn't fill out a form properly?
  • AJ21AJ21 Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I don't think those two events were related though. Wasn't there an admin error with the disabled soldier because he didn't fill out a form properly?

there have been many cases where immigrants get better houses then british people, it was not an isolated case
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    My indian next door neighbour is extremely racist to me an my partner.

To her we are filthy white trash...because I dared to do some home improvements which she didn't approve of.

She is constantly calling the police out because she doesn't like the noise of the kids playing in the garden, she kicked down part of my fence because it was touching her extension (which actually goes over our boundary onto our land)is constantly opening the window in her round floor extension spying straight onto our patio area when we are having a bbq and spouts the most revolting racial remarks at us and throws cat sh1t over the fence at us. If it had been me doing it I would have been in prison by now,she just wont leave us alone, she is vile!
  • *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    DoctorQui wrote: »

To her we are filthy white trash...because I dared to do some home improvements which she didn't approve of.

She is constantly calling the police out because she doesn't like the noise of the kids playing in the garden, she kicked down part of my fence because it was touching her extension (which actually goes over our boundary onto our land)is constantly opening the window in her round floor extension spying straight onto our patio area when we are having a bbq and spouts the most revolting racial remarks at us and throws cat sh1t over the fence at us. If it had been me doing it I would have been in prison by now,she just wont leave us alone, she is vile!

Dob her in to the police for kicking your fence and for spouting racial remarks and for throwing cat shit.
  • BK.BK. Posts: 1,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a white guy, I wouldn't call it racism exactly, no, but there have been "comments" made about interracial relationships etc. when I've been out with previous boyfriends before.
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Dob her in to the police for kicking your fence and for spouting racial remarks and for throwing cat shit.

Tried that, they came round but said that nothing could be proved. Also, that criminal damage isn't criminal damage of you thought you were in the right...she said the fence is on her land and therefore its a boundary dispute!
  • peacelilypeacelily Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I have, but not in a long while, and I really couldn't give a toss.
    Forum Member
    Tried that, they came round but said that nothing could be proved. Also, that criminal damage isn't criminal damage of you thought you were in the right...she said the fence is on her land and therefore its a boundary dispute!

Oh, that's unfortunate. Maybe try and record her offensive ways/racist abuse would that be admissible?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, that's unfortunate. Maybe try and record her offensive ways/racist abuse would that be admissible?

I think he made a thread about it here before. Wasn't she a rather mad senile old lady. I don't know if there is much that can be done:( Perhaps try talking to the family again...but I think they are embarrassed by this and finding it hard to cope with too.
  • MarcellloMarcelllo Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone called me Speccy Four Eyes once. If that's not prejudice, I don't know what is.
    Forum Member
    rozafa wrote: »
    I think he made a thread about it here before. Wasn't she a rather mad senile old lady. I don't know if there is much that can be done:( Perhaps try talking to the family again...but I think they are embarrassed by this and finding it hard to cope with too.

Oh, that's a right shame, I wasn't aware of that, that must be a nightmare to have to deal with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had sectarian abuse because of my religion and what football team I support. Only in the West of Scotland, mind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    The only thing I can remember (thankfully) was on a forum, when a poster for whom I had a lot of respect until that point, as she seemed very smart and fair, started being nothing but rude to me when I mentioned I was a Christian. She accused me of being the same as the apes who gather outside the abortion clinic where she worked and wouldn't even entertain the possibility that they're a minority.
    She went from "smart" to "idiot" very quickly in my books.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was brought up in Jamaica and once or twice, just out shopping or whatever, I remember women randomly stroking my hair. It was very fine, bleached, very obviously caucasian hair, and it was obviously quite amusing, lol. I don't remember thinking much about it but I guess it might have been considered offensive. Although tbh I wouldn't mind if women did that now :).

Coming to England my sister and I had a more-or-less Jamaican accent. One day we were playing footy in the park with a couple of boys until the older one (hearing us talking) picked up his ball and walked off saying, 'my dad told me not to talk to Yanks' :D. I don't remember being offended, but it was a bit out of the blue. As my sister and I are white he interpreted our Jamaican accent as American. There you go. Probably it was to do with CND, or his dad was a hippy or a peacenik, something like that.
  • AJ21AJ21 Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

report her racist remarks to the police, she should be arrested.

if she is senile then try and get her sectioned or thrown in oap's home
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Yes I have because of hair colour.I just got on with it and didn't need to join any abuse groups or hide myself away.We just got on with life back then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I've experienced a fair bit. Some as a Christian, some due to class, mostly disability. Also a little due to country/town differences when younger. At high school there was a gang who bullied children thought to be middle class. If you saw my family tree, you might think this rather ironic. If you saw the parents of the lead bully, even more so !!

When I was about 25 I went to a restaurant in a certain city, a guest of a parent's friend who had landed a top job after a long unemployment. There were six of us, having a jolly time. The restaurant owner came up. He spoke to a random male at the table. He asked us to leave... on the grounds that I would mark the walls. Excuse me ?? I can barely hold a fork, so that be quite an acheivement !! This was decades ago, where now and again I met this kind of attitude.

We walked out. Since then we have had many big family events, weddings, birthdays etc and spent, as a large exteded family, rather a large sum....... at his competitor's restaurant in the next road.

In retrospect, I laugh at the silliness of it all. This is all over a long life, most things are not too serious. What is rather sad, is that no matter how much notice or planning going on a train is a lottery, the local buses are a definite no and the other week I had a chat with someone I've known for 30 years that sounded like something out of the seventies.
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Turkey can be a bit problematic for religious intolerance (although it's a tiny majority of the actual population)

My girlfriend was shouted at by a jeep-full of fundamentalists whilst we were walking down the street in Turkey- they didn't approve of her showing her legs. It was quite frightening as they pulled up beside us and used a megaphone to voice their disapproval.

Women in general tend to get a disproportionate amount of attention in Turkey, with the vast majority of it not wanted!

I hated Turkey because of this. We were in Kusadasi and travelled up to Istanbul by bus. I found Istanbul fascinating but the men who glared at me in the street incredibly intimidating and actually quite frightening. I had on a just above the knee skirt on the day in question; it was hardly Jersey Shore material - but I was glared at, repeatedly. Very unnerving. Even at the seaside resort, they stare, they're lecherous. Really, really, strongly disliked this aspect of Turkey.

Other than that, plenty of discrimination based on my gender over the years, too much to catalogue. And a fair bit of xenophobia in London in 1990. Most of it stemmed from my being quite excited about how well Ireland was doing at Italia '90. My English colleagues weren't enamoured of my enthusiasm and took to references about IRA bombings to quieten my celebrations. :( Not nice.
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluemotel wrote: »
    I've experienced a fair bit. Some as a Christian, some due to class, mostly disability. Also a little due to country/town differences when younger. At high school there was a gang who bullied children thought to be middle class. If you saw my family tree, you might think this rather ironic. If you saw the parents of the lead bully, even more so !!

When I was about 25 I went to a restaurant in a certain city, a guest of a parent's friend who had landed a top job after a long unemployment. There were six of us, having a jolly time. The restaurant owner came up. He spoke to a random male at the table. He asked us to leave... on the grounds that I would mark the walls. Excuse me ?? I can barely hold a fork, so that be quite an acheivement !! This was decades ago, where now and again I met this kind of attitude.

We walked out. Since then we have had many big family events, weddings, birthdays etc and spent, as a large exteded family, rather a large sum....... at his competitor's restaurant in the next road.

In retrospect, I laugh at the silliness of it all. This is all over a long life, most things are not too serious. What is rather sad, is that no matter how much notice or planning going on a train is a lottery, the local buses are a definite no and the other week I had a chat with someone I've known for 30 years that sounded like something out of the seventies.

:mad: What a complete idiot. I'd happily slap him for you.
  • xmodz10xmodz10 Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rozafa wrote: »
    Im interested to know because in this forum there many white people who claim to be victims of prejudice but I dont think that is the case...
    Anyway I would like to find out who are the biggest victims.

What is your race ( or other factor that caused the prejudice)? And where/when/what was it.

I will start ..

Because I am white.
    In western countries
    Only once in Camden ...but I took it as a compliment. I was called 'a skinny white bitch' by a random black woman. As a more curvaceous woman I was rather chuffed at being called skinny
    In none white majority countries.
    It has only happened in Northern Mali. It happened a lot. That white people are addressed and shouted at in the streets by a mild racial epitaph , expected to give money to everyone for no reason..and are not allowed in mosques. I really didn't like this and it made me feel sad. And can only imagine how much worse black people feel like when they live in lived in the West and used to experience this everyday (though hopefully that is of the past now)

Because Im Eastern European..

Nope none...though a few assumption are made.

Because Im Muslim...
    Online and in the media it can get bad.
    But fortunately in ordinary life not so.
    I have never experienced institutional racism. I have noticed that one or two people are a bit rude, and I have had the odd name in the street. And at (especially none British) airports I get additional searches and dispute carrying a British passport border guards assume Im not really British and always double and triple check it. But that is it.

As a woman
    Only once. There was a a shop in Leeds that wouldnt let me have a single ear pierced. They only did that for boys!

some muslims are white people. a mosque, church is a place of worship. it doesnt matter what skin colour you are.

i have suffered racism. i have had a few people calling me by racist terms
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a few people, seem to be mainly black kids for some reason tell me to 'go back to my own country'.

I don't know why people who are not White British think that this is more 'their country' than mine?
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had a few people, seem to be mainly black kids for some reason tell me to 'go back to my own country'.

I don't know why people who are not White British think that this is more 'their country' than mine?

So are you suggesting that white people who were born in this country have more right to be offensive to you than black people who were born here?

In answer to the original question, I've had several experiences of verbal abuse over the years - quite often from complete strangers. However, I can remember being the only non-white person sitting in a large group of 'friends' and having one of them pipe up "I hate n*****s". Nice.

There was also a boy at my junior school that called me 'boot polish' all the way through school and to my knowledge was never, ever challenged about it by the teachers although they knew.

We were in Barcelona not very long ago at all, sitting by the harbour enjoying the sunshine and looking like typical tourists when two armed policemen came up and gave us a pretty hard time. I was with my husband and teenage daughter - they were threatening to arrest us because we didn't have our passports with us. Given that every tourist guidebook I've seen about Barcelona tells you not to carry anything of value with you because of the pick-pockets, this seemed a bit rich. They pretended not to recognise the hotel name we gave them and were actually getting quite frightening (one of them kept messing with his gun holster). Fortunately, something must have happened elsewhere and they had to leave after a radio call.

More recently, someone on our street decided to write 'black c***' on our car.

I can also recall taking a flight to Jersey once with two friends in the mid-eighties. We were the only non-white people on the flight and we were prevented from entering the lounge at the departure gate and made to fill in a great long form under the Prevention of Terrorism Act. I can still see the smug look on the police detective's face - he knew that we knew the only reason he was doing it was because he could and that there was nothing we could do about it.