Universal Job Match - Do NOT sign!

Comments

• Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,130
    Forum Member
    Looks like CV Library are spamming the site again. A quick search for jobs in my area brings up a list with at least 90% of the entries pointing to their site:yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Looks like CV Library are spamming the site again. A quick search for jobs in my area brings up a list with at least 90% of the entries pointing to their site:yawn:

Yeah, getting a slew of fake job adverts from these bandits. So-called job agencys should be regulated properly, bunch of chancers!
  • UltimateXUltimateX Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I have 0% trust in the legitimacy of all jobs on Universal Jobmatch, I am not prepared to risk being scammed or having my identify stolen by a fraudster or scam artist.

Universal Jobmatch is not safe to use and should be boycotted by everyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Where did my posts go?. I am sure I posted one or two in here about the slew of spam jobs from CV Library and Jobs Warehouse, yet it seems to have been removed. :(
  • RedRose9191RedRose9191 Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speaking of UJM, why is it that some of the jobs don't have an apply button? Is it just a glitch or are we just meant to e-mail or call the employer ourselves? Actually it seems most of the jobs on there now don't seem to have an apply button and I've just had to e-mail the company myself. Either that or even when the apply button is there, it just takes you to the company website.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UltimateX wrote: »
    I have 0% trust in the legitimacy of all jobs on Universal Jobmatch, I am not prepared to risk being scammed or having my identify stolen by a fraudster or scam artist.

Universal Jobmatch is not safe to use and should be boycotted by everyone.

I agree but apparently it will soon be mandatory and part of peoples benefit agreements. Two people I know have already been sanctioned due to it, one because their weren't enough jobs he was qualified for so he was one under his fortnightly amount and the other because he couldn't afford to take a bus to the library every day to check his emails. Both lost their benefits for a month.
  • PopadopalousPopadopalous Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are genuinely seeking work then why would you be so against UJ?

Seriously, you can upload CVs... simply hit an Apply button on selected adverts and you're done. It's convenient and not much different to the other job sites. Of course it has its problems but what site doesn't?

If you are following your agreement exactly then you won't have to worry about being sanctioned.

What is it about UJ?? Is it the fact that they can actually see what jobs you hit the Apply button on? Harder to cheat???

I signed on for two weeks and fortunately found another job quickly thanks to it. I was genuinely seeking work and found it on UJ. To me, UJ is another tool to helping me find work - though I can understand the frustrations of people who are just piss takers of the system designed to help.

Maybe I'm missing something?
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why is it that some of the jobs don't have an apply button?[...]are we just meant to e-mail or call the employer ourselves?

I've seen the absence of an apply button many times and you could be right in thinking it's because you have to contact the employer directly. I always thought, however, that it was because the skills you've entered on your profile don't match those required for the job. There's a button for checking this on each vacancy page and my activity log has mentioned a 'skills gap' whenever I've done this. It could still just be a glitch though.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    If you are genuinely seeking work then why would you be so against UJ?

Seriously, you can upload CVs... simply hit an Apply button on selected adverts and you're done. It's convenient and not much different to the other job sites. Of course it has its problems but what site doesn't?

If you are following your agreement exactly then you won't have to worry about being sanctioned.

What is it about UJ?? Is it the fact that they can actually see what jobs you hit the Apply button on? Harder to cheat???

I signed on for two weeks and fortunately found another job quickly thanks to it. I was genuinely seeking work and found it on UJ. To me, UJ is another tool to helping me find work - though I can understand the frustrations of people who are just piss takers of the system designed to help.

Maybe I'm missing something?
    People feel it's a tool just to sanction
    Can't include covering letters
    It needs to plant stuff on your computer for it to work
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told that, eventually, the paperwork you fill out to report your weekly job search activities will eventually be phased out.

It'll have to be done online, using the activity history section of UJM

Of course, not everyone has internet access at home... but there is libraries / internet cafes
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still being pressured by advisor to use UJM. I've told him countless times that i don't find the service useful and the amount of jobs posted on there is very little.
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    So far the JC is impressed with my print-out of jobs and things I have done. You can see that they'd like to be able to access my UJM account, but not yet have the power to do so.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was told that, eventually, the paperwork you fill out to report your weekly job search activities will eventually be phased out.

It'll have to be done online, using the activity history section of UJM

Of course, not everyone has internet access at home... but there is libraries / internet cafes

I won't take that as a answer, They need telling. Not going to be bullied into it either :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    I've seen the absence of an apply button many times and you could be right in thinking it's because you have to contact the employer directly. I always thought, however, that it was because the skills you've entered on your profile don't match those required for the job. There's a button for checking this on each vacancy page and my activity log has mentioned a 'skills gap' whenever I've done this. It could still just be a glitch though.

Yeah I thought so. It actually wasn't that long ago when it seemed most of them had an apply button though, it was only a few without one. That was okay though because I just used to contact the employer directly when that happened. These last couple of days I've been checking, none of the jobs I wanted to apply for had an apply button.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ When you have to e-mail the employer directly, just make sure you keep the DWP happy by selecting the 'I have already applied for this job' option on the UJM vacancy page where it asks why you haven't applied on there. That is, of course, if you have authorised the DWP to view your account.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    ^ When you have to e-mail the employer directly, just make sure you keep the DWP happy by selecting the 'I have already applied for this job' option on the UJM vacancy page where it asks why you haven't applied on there. That is, of course, if you have authorised the DWP to view your account.

Yeah I have actually. My advisor told me it was mandatory to allow them access.
    Forum Member
    Yeah I have actually. My advisor told me it was mandatory to allow them access.

Your advisor lied to you. You do not have to allow the DWP access to your Universal Jobmatch account, you can revoke consent for them to access it at any time also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your advisor lied to you. You do not have to allow the DWP access to your Universal Jobmatch account, you can revoke consent for them to access it at any time also.

Shows how much I know then. So if I choose not to allow them access there's nothing they can do about it? My advisor always goes through mine and complains I'm not checking often enough or applying for enough jobs even though I apply for all the ones I can do.
    Forum Member
    Shows how much I know then. So if I choose not to allow them access there's nothing they can do about it? My advisor always goes through mine and complains I'm not checking often enough or applying for enough jobs even though I apply for all the ones I can do.

Just untick the box and then they cannot view your account and they will move on to hassling the next person who allows them access.

You can receive absolutely no sanctions for not allowing the DWP access, you are well within your rights to not allow access.

If any Jobcentre/Work Programme staff tell you that you must allow them access to your UJ account then that is a blatant lie and you should call them out on it.
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My adviser said its not mandatory to allow access, but I dont I would have to prove my activity by printing out the pages. So whats thew difference? Easier just to allow them access. We will see what hassle I get on Monday.
    Forum Member
    PrimalIce wrote: »
    My adviser said its not mandatory to allow access, but I dont I would have to prove my activity by printing out the pages. So whats thew difference? Easier just to allow them access. We will see what hassle I get on Monday.

They cannot see your account if you do not allow access and they can't keep hassling you by flagging up jobs you must apply for and also if you allow them access you have to give a reason why you didn't apply.
    Forum Member
    Just untick the box and then they cannot view your account and they will move on to hassling the next person who allows them access.

You can receive absolutely no sanctions for not allowing the DWP access, you are well within your rights to not allow access.

If any Jobcentre/Work Programme staff tell you that you must allow them access to your UJ account then that is a blatant lie and you should call them out on it.

Indeed.

They are breaking the Data Protection Act if they insist you allow them access.
    Forum Member

Your Jobseekers Agreement should show what was agreed, in terms of the types and numbers of jobs you have to apply for each week.

If you allow them access to your account they (although they shouldn't) will keep badgering you if they feel you aren't checking UJM often enough, if you have a large number of jobs you have looked at but not applied for all of them, and they can also flag up jobs on your account that they want you to apply for even if you feel they aren't suitable.

So your agreement may state you must apply for 8 jobs a week in retail, and your UJM account shows you do apply for that amount, but if your adviser has direct access to your account they can see that you viewed 20 jobs but only applied for 8 ( I believe so, but maybe someone here from the JC can confirm or deny that). So although you have met your requirements you can still face a sanction at their whim.

If you refuse them access directly, you are less likely to face sanctions as long as you apply for the number of jobs agreed and the type agreed.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can they actually see how many times you are logging in and how long for?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if your adviser has direct access to your account they can see that you viewed 20 jobs but only applied for 8

My adviser showed me what they see when they view your account and they cannot see which vacancies you have looked at. It appears pretty much the same to them as when you look at it yourself. What they can see is the vacancies which match your search criteria or your 'recommended jobs' (i.e. the ones you'd be expected to apply for) and whether you've either applied for them or selected a reason for not doing so. There's no browsing history.
This discussion has been closed.