Should Deirdre Die or depart alive?

Comments

• Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The production team have a very difficult problem, with Anne dying so suddenly. I think it should be the decision of her husband whether she 'dies' in the show, or leaves for some reason ( although, I can't think of any reason why the character of Deidre would do this). Her passing will leave a void in the storyline of the Barlow house and require some difficult acting for Bill Roache.
  • gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It such a shame she has died at such a young age she could have gone on for more and more years the other legends are in their 80s and still going strong so unfair for Anne but I feel she should be killed off writhin the year
  • Our NiallOur Niall Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The poor lady passed away less than a day ago, the storyliners and producers who will be in charge of deciding how to write Deirdre out were Anne's colleagues who knew her personally and will be mourning her sad passing just as we are; there is plenty of time to work on giving Deirdre a send off and it's the last thing anyone at Corrie is concerned with right now I would say. Just as there is plenty of time for making threads to speculate about how it will be done. A bit tasteless
  • BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have Ken pick up the telephone, and find it's the police ringing to tell him she died in a car crash.
  • alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    podlover98 wrote: »
    I think the idea posted earlier that Bev comes round and tells Ken that Diedre has been suffering from a terminal illness is the perfect exit. The whole Bev thing has been a charade to hide the fact she is dying and she wanted to avoid the family knowing and be at peace as she couldn't face the trauma. Would make sense if you place Her exit around the trial. The family had enough on its plate, she had fallen out of love with Ken.

It's also similar to the way Anne chose to hide her illness from the viewers, in a sense.

This could work. Also it would explain why she was so stressed as she left (throwing the trifle etc)
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Our Niall wrote: »
    The poor lady passed away less than a day ago, the storyliners and producers who will be in charge of deciding how to write Deirdre out were Anne's colleagues who knew her personally and will be mourning her sad passing just as we are; there is plenty of time to work on giving Deirdre a send off and it's the last thing anyone at Corrie is concerned with right now I would say. Just as there is plenty of time for making threads to speculate about how it will be done. A bit tasteless

Call me cynical but the writers will have multiple drafts done already. They probably speculated on this very question even before she died, never mind after.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. David Beckett only yesterday evening had the difficult task of telling the world that his wife Anne Kirkbride has died.
  • Artie FischalArtie Fischal Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Scriptwriters will be months ahead with future storylines. The production and writing teams will have to get together and discuss the "Deirdre" situation very soon, grieving or not. Something they may have written, or even filmed, may include reference to Deirdre's return.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    There are some very cold-hearted posters. A person has died and yet for some it's just as if they've thrown away a pair of old socks and can't decide whether to replace them or not.

I'm not suggesting viewers should go into mourning for someone they didn't actually know, but a bit of consideration for her family would be nice.
  • nostalgic62nostalgic62 Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Sorry but it is completely disrespectful to even be discussing this for petes sake.
    She has only just died. Does anyone honestly think the scriptwriters will be thinking about this at the moment. Have some respect?

RIP Anne
  • From_the_NorthFrom_the_North Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    I think, because soap characters are so engrained on the audience's consciousness, they tend to be given on screen goodbyes.

Away from soap, I remember watching a documentary on Only Fools and Horses where they were talking about Lennard Pearce, who played Grandad, passed away between series. The first episode of the new series was Grandad's funeral and someone (can't remember if it was a cast or crew member) mentioned that the cast had only attended Lennard's funeral a little while before and then had to film Grandad's for the show.

On 12 December 1984, Pearce suffered a heart attack. He was rushed to the Whittington Hospital, admitted, and his condition improved. Two days later, Only Fools and Horses scriptwriter John Sullivan visited him, and assured Pearce that his place in the programme would be open for him when he recovered. However, Pearce suffered a second heart attack, and died instantly, on the night of 15 December 1984. Sullivan was phoned the following morning to be told the news, and he broke it to Pearce's Only Fools and Horses co-stars David Jason and Nicholas Lyndhurst, who were devastated by Pearce's sudden death.

When Pearce died, production was under way of the Only Fools and Horses episode "Hole in One". Scenes he had filmed on location prior to his death were re-shot with Buster Merryfield as the replacement character Uncle Albert, and the episode was put back in the series. The episode "Strained Relations" begins in the wake of the death of the character Pearce had played.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit early to be speculating about this and I am sure it isn't being discussed over at Corrie today.
  • sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,417
    Forum Member
    Markjuk wrote: »
    On screen funeral with characters such as Billy Walker, Bet Lynch, Mavis Wilton and Hilda Ogden back to pay their respects.

It would be lovely if some of those could return for Deirdre's funeral, if and when the character dies. I hadn't really thought about how important and iconic she was until now. It would be a great tribute if some of the big names from Corrie's past could make it back.

I'm feeling bad about going on about how crap and unbelievable her temporary exit story was, and how almost anything would have been better. Of course I understand now why it might have been necessary.
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least wait till after the funeral for discussing Deirdre's exit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gunner95 wrote: »
    Could Deirdre live on with a new actress or is that too disrespectful?
    They would never do that, not after 40 odd years with the same actress.
  • sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,417
    Forum Member
    Gunner95 wrote: »
    Could Deirdre live on with a new actress or is that too disrespectful?

Definitely not - people just wouldn't accept anyone else playing Deirdre.

There was an old clip on the news this morning with Deirdre and a very young looking Emily - both wearing enormous glasses :D
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Without wishing to sound too high and mighty, i actually think it is a little early to be discussing this.

Give everybody, especially her famiy and friends, a chance to process what has happened and mourn before the secondary issue of the fiction is looked at.

This.

RIP Anne.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Sorry but it is completely disrespectful to even be discussing this for petes sake.
    She has only just died. Does anyone honestly think the scriptwriters will be thinking about this at the moment. Have some respect?

RIP Anne
    Does anyone honestly think they aren't??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Lewi26 wrote: »
    She should get a on screen farewell. Diedre would of never left her family anyway

Agreed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Without wishing to sound too high and mighty, i actually think it is a little early to be discussing this.

Give everybody, especially her famiy and friends, a chance to process what has happened and mourn before the secondary issue of the fiction is looked at.

I agree. I know everyone is curious what will happen, myself included, but right now it feels too soon to discuss. She died yesterday evening.
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I'd like them in time to say she's died so the characters can grieve.
  • MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,680
    Forum Member
    Have her pass away in the show later in the year. Bless her :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    She should die offscreen. There's no way that Deirdre would leave her family for good. Unless they do something where Ken gets a call from her saying she wants to move away to have a fresh start away from the street. I just feel it's better if she dies because it would give the cast and viewers a chance to say farewell to Deirdre.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either way she needs to be buried in her best chain belt and leather skirt :(
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,175
    Forum Member
    I doubt her family and friends will be on here tonight...

So do i, i said that originally. It doesn't change the principle.

I find it in bad taste this early and i didn't know her personally.
This discussion has been closed.