Central Heating advice

TIVO_YORK99TIVO_YORK99 Posts: 317
Forum Member
Happy new year to you all.

I've got a great but very old central heating system. It works like a dream, never had any problem with it - its probably older than me!

However, the timer has broken so we can no longer set times for the heating to come on and go off. This means we can only manually turn it off and back on.

Is it possible to get someone in to just change the timer?, even though its really old will it be compatible with a brand new one? Ideally I'd like one that I can control from my PC.

Picture of it is here (it says Randall 103 on the bottom of it - presumably the model number) :

centralheating.th.jpg

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picture of it is here (it says Randall 103 on the bottom of it - presumably the model number) :

You can still buy them. You can also upgrade it from a simple mechanical device to an electronic version that allows a lot more control of your environment.

http://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/danfoss-randall-103-p-152.html

http://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/danfoss-randall-103e7-p-154.html

Note: this was the first Google hit I tried so it isn't a recommendation for supplier or necessarily the best price. The site also has links to manuals for the alternative controllers.

I doubt if you will be able to find something that will easily interface to your computer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I'm assuming that is a timer and not a very small boiler.:D

The timer isn't part of the bolier itself and independant. So you don't need to worry about getting the right size and model etc to fit in the machine. This means there won't be a problem. What I would suggest is look and see if you can do the job yourself. Cut the electric and undo the existing timer and have a look around. Chances are you'll see it's only a couple of wires and not much different to a standard 3 pin plug.

When you get a new timer buy it yourself and read the fitting instructions. If you think I don't think i can do it you can still pay and electrician to do it for you.
    A lot of these jobs are much easier than you think. Just take your time aand think about it before you proceed and don't rush it.
    About 10 years ago I had problems with my washing machine and the pump needed replacing. I went into a shop that sold the pumps etc and had a chat with the guy at the counter. I asked could I do it myself and he said yeah it's easy. I thought ok I'll but the pump have a look and if I think nope, I can still call an engineer.
    As the guy told me it was ridiculously easy. disconnct a couple of wires, undo a few bolts, old one off, new one on and same procedure in reverse. the hardest part was lifting the damn thing upright again. Did a wash, it worked fine and continued to do so until I got a new one last year.

Fitting a timer is likely to be similar, work out 3 or 4 wires and connect them. Turn on the power does it work? Nope. Ok ppower off change the wires. Try agan. Nope, repeat. Eventually the wires will be iin the right ones and it will work. by rights it shouldn't be anywhere near as difficult as that as you have the instructions on the new one and the wires are colour coded.
    The only thing you really need to be aware of is if the thing is Earthed or not. That's where you need advise from an electrician if you can't see it during the installation..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Randall 103 is still in production, infact I have one in my van. Most people wish to change over to digital programmers though, Randall do a digital programmer and (it's been a while since I've changed one) think it doesn't involve any rewiring. Other than that you can chuck any timer you wish at it, it'll just involve a little wiring alteration and away you go.

As for controlling it from your PC, that's a new one on me. I'm not saying that it cannot be done, just that I've never came across it. It sounds like one of those futuristic ideas banded around every now and then - "Control your home from your computer!".
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a simple single on/off timer. Take the cover off and have a look.

BUT DO ISOLATE the electric first. It should be on a fused spur, with a switch, but you may need to switch off your downstairs ring main by pulling a fuse or switching off at your consumer unit.

Forget about controlling from a PC. Replace like for like unless you have a few hundred quid to spend.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy new year to you all.

I've got a great but very old central heating system. It works like a dream, never had any problem with it - its probably older than me!

However, the timer has broken so we can no longer set times for the heating to come on and go off. This means we can only manually turn it off and back on.

Is it possible to get someone in to just change the timer?, even though its really old will it be compatible with a brand new one? Ideally I'd like one that I can control from my PC.

centralheating.th.jpg
    Hello Tivo,

To answer the questions, yes you can get someone to change it but you can change the 103 yourself.

As Andy says they are getting on, I haven't changed one for ages, it will cost you about £40-£50 new on line.

Yes you can control your system via your PC, I know, we've set this up for clients in the past with various degrees of end user success.

There are several home automation programs about, the one we have used are HeatMiser products with a PC link.
    program.

Its more then possible to control your CH using your PC and your voice.

It is expensive to set up and you need the patience of Jove but a PC controlled CH system, more then possible with a fairly modern boiler system,
    the future is here, the future is now. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tomorrows world today, eh Seacam?

I guess you must have a higher "class" of people near you than we have!

Still, I can't see it being value for money unless you live in a large house. Whats the going rate for getting that setup?
  • TIVO_YORK99TIVO_YORK99 Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Thanks a lot for all your replies, much appreciated. :D

Definately sounds like something I can replace then, I think at the least I want it to be digital. I'll have a look at the PC based ones as well, thanks Seacam.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delete, double post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andykel wrote: »
    Tomorrows world today, eh Seacam?
    I guess you must have a higher "class" of people near you than we have!

Still, I can't see it being value for money unless you live in a large house. Whats the going rate for getting that setup?
    Hi Andy and Happy New Year.

Yes, the problem is this country with it's archaic infrastructure is we are not ready for or capable of utilizing tomorrows world, en'mass, country wide high speed broadband as an example.

Billions and billions of tax payers money BT have, ( ripped us off for ), had from us in the past and billions they are making in profits now and yet most of the country relies on copper wire for its communication.

And to add insult to injury they want to take £6 a month off of us to pay for upgrades, something they should have done, what the hell is line rental for?

Sorry I'm on my New Year soap box, where was I?

You and I meet all sorts of people, what I've learned is, you can't judge people by the property they live in.

Home Automation, £500-£600 + and in most circumstances, for most households, does not represent good value,----it might one day.