Forum Member
✭✭✭
Opinions?

Comments

• Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Die. Have a proper goodbye on screen for Deidre but only when both Anne's family and the cast and crew of Coronation Street feel ready.
  • Options
    Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She should get a on screen farewell. Diedre would of never left her family anyway
  • Options
    AuntieSoapAuntieSoap Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too soon for such speculation.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She'll have to die in the show :(
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a hard one and hard to speculate over just now.

She's so firmly rooted to Coronation Street that in many ways it seems impossible for Deirdre to leave by any other means than by passing away.

On the other hand, she has past form and has a bit of a wild streak. She could send a letter to Ken telling him she's met the man of her dreams and is never coming back.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Die. Have a proper goodbye on screen for Deidre but only when both Anne's family and the cast and crew of Coronation Street feel ready.

Absolutely. They left it quite a while after Maggie Jones died before they 'killed off' Blanche.

Really sad.
  • Options
    fawltytowers93fawltytowers93 Posts: 1,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The character will be killed off eventually, but I can't see it happening until 2016
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Without wishing to sound too high and mighty, i actually think it is a little early to be discussing this.

Give everybody, especially her famiy and friends, a chance to process what has happened and mourn before the secondary issue of the fiction is looked at.
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AuntieSoap wrote: »
    Too soon for such speculation.

Calm down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    I agree. David Beckett has this evening had the difficult task of telling the world that his wife Anne Kirkbride has died.

Which is heartbreakingly sad and I emphasise with him but this is a soap forum and I was just curious to see what people feel should become of Deirdre.

Anne would love to know people cared what happened to her I'm sure.
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Luner13 wrote: »
    Calm down.

Excuse you. AuntieSoap was being perfectly reasonable. Someone has just died, and you're speculating whether their character will get an off-screen death or not? Please, give it a few weeks.
  • Options
    danyelldanyell Posts: 10,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lewi26 wrote: »
    She should get a on screen farewell. Diedre would of never left her family anyway

If we're thinking realistically Deirdre wouldn't of missed her only daughters wedding. One of the most unrealistic things I've seen in a soap. But it couldn't of been helped I suppose if Anne was that ill. I wonder if Anne knew she she was going to die as soon as she left?
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be done in time, when things have settle and her family can be left to grief and when the time is right I'm sure it will be addressed and done with her family involvement but atm it would be too early to even think about it but yes the most possible out come is a death off screen.
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me, it's a very big shock knowing Deirdre isn't coming back. Like Ken, you would have thought that she'd be there as long as Corrie is on the TV.
  • Options
    skteoskskteosk Posts: 19,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she'll have to die and the character can have a proper send-off. It will probably be some time in the future, although I wouldn't have thought it'd take a year. It is hard to see how they could do it since Deirdre's always been portrayed as healthy, it'd have to be something sudden I suppose. But I think we'll get an on screen funeral.
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I havent a clue how they will write her off screen now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    Excuse you. AuntieSoap was being perfectly reasonable. Someone has just died, and you're speculating whether their character will get an off-screen death or not? Please, give it a few weeks.

:confused:

Ok...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think they should have her stay alive having run off with another dishy young guy as Deirdre was the original Cougar remember Samir?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    maybe write a story around the real reason she had a breakdown and went to stay with bev: she found out she had terminal lung cancer and didnt want her family to see her dying. suzie blake could come back as bev to tell ken that she's passed away
    r.i.p Anne :(:(:cry:cry:
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    The character will be killed off eventually, but I can't see it happening until 2016

Part of me thinks this might be hard in the family. Just when they are getting over their grief, the long, drawn out absence of Deirdre is brought to an end with her on screen death and the family have to relive it.
  • Options
    CorstemmeeCorstemmee Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Without wishing to sound too high and mighty, i actually think it is a little early to be discussing this.

Give everybody, especially her famiy and friends, a chance to process what has happened and mourn before the secondary issue of the fiction is looked at.

I feel the same.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of me thinks this might be hard in the family. Just when they are getting over their grief, the long, drawn out absence of Deirdre is brought to an end with her on screen death and the family have to relive it.

I think, because soap characters are so engrained on the audience's consciousness, they tend to be given on screen goodbyes.

Away from soap, I remember watching a documentary on Only Fools and Horses where they were talking about Lennard Pearce, who played Grandad, passed away between series. The first episode of the new series was Grandad's funeral and someone (can't remember if it was a cast or crew member) mentioned that the cast had only attended Lennard's funeral a little while before and then had to film Grandad's for the show.
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit early for a thread like this?
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would have to be addressed sooner or later.

How long would you stay with a friend without outstaying your welcome & not being with your loved ones?
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    I think, because soap characters are so engrained on the audience's consciousness, they tend to be given on screen goodbyes.

Away from soap, I remember watching a documentary on Only Fools and Horses where they were talking about Lennard Pearce, who played Grandad, passed away between series. The first episode of the new series was Grandad's funeral and someone (can't remember if it was a cast or crew member) mentioned that the cast had only attended Lennard's funeral a little while before and then had to film Grandad's for the show.

It's not the onscreen goodbye I disagree with, it's it happening so far down the road after months and months of a weird pseudo existence within the soap when the family may be finally coming to terms with it and then she dies again, so to speak.
This discussion has been closed.