Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    henry_hope wrote: »
    Is 1.5 million enough to keep Peaky Blinders going another series on BBC2?
    I liked Series 1, but not enjoying this series.

Well for a start it was 1.59m overnight last night, not 1.5m.

Anyway the BBC won't just be looking at overall viewing including iPlayer, let alone officials, let alone overnights.

For the record the premiere on 2 October consolidated to 2.31m, 4th highest rating of the week for BBC Two, from an overnight of 1.69m.

Interesting that you aren't enjoying this series as much; I'm finding it just as compelling.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Not suprisingly Watchdog and WR the previous night stinking up the BBC schedule just to prove they can also put rubbish on.
    EE down on Thursdays again, there certainly seems to have been a change with audience on Thursdays recently.
    ITV had a good night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Well for a start it was 1.59m overnight last night, not 1.5m.

Anyway the BBC won't just be looking at overall viewing including iPlayer, let alone officials, let alone overnights.

For the record the premiere on 2 October consolidated to 2.31m, 4th highest rating of the week for BBC Two, from an overnight of 1.69m.

Interesting that you aren't enjoying this series as much; I'm finding it just as compelling.

I am having to record it and have not even started this series yet. Was just thinking though how the style, feel and sets etc look so much better than The Great Fire did last night. It cant have anywhere near the same budget can it?
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    Could we ever get to a situation where all 10 are live? It's the way it's going...

Friday 8.00
    Saturday 12.45
    Saturday 5.30
    Saturday 8.00
    Sunday 12.00
    Sunday 2.00
    Sunday 4.00
    Sunday 6.00
    Sunday 8.00
    Monday 8.00

It could just about fit, a bit of a depressing scenerio though IMO.

I seriously doubt it, Sky have said before that they're not particularly interested in showing much more football than they already do, viewers will get fed up of it. You wouldn't get more subscribers by showing all the games, you'd get the same number of subscribers, spread more thinly. Absolutely nobody's not subscribing because they don't show every game. Big football fans already have Sky.

This is the same Charles Sale who confidently predicted Al Jazeera would gain Premier League rights at the last auction and the first time anyone mentioned BT was when Richard Scudamore said they'd won the rights. Sale wasn't alone in this, admittedly, no sports diarist mentioned them at all. But I don't think there's much in this, there's no real appetite for more Premier League football. Sky have enough trouble trying to drum up interest in West Brom vs Burnley when they have to show matches like that every so often, they'd have even more trouble if they had matches of that calibre every week. More expense for no reward.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Correction. Grantchester was talked up as the next big thing.

Mainly by you though. :D
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Score wrote: »

Also for what it's worth the Our Zoo launch rating was OK. It was considered slightly disappointing though because of the lead-in and how much it was talked up on here. The fact it then lost a million of them was the real problem.

But it did not end up a million down....it rose to 4.5 million. And consolidated to 5.5 million.

Our Zoo ratings were not great but they were far from disastrous.

Crikey, Waterloo Road gets less and has been left running for 97 years - or, just feels like it has possibly.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    henry_hope wrote: »
    Is 1.5 million enough to keep Peaky Blinders going another series on BBC2?
    I liked Series 1, but not enjoying this series.

Peaky Blinders was getting these ratings during series 1 and got a second series.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Mainly by you though. :D

Guilty as charged! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But it did not end up a million down....it rose to 4.5 million. And consolidated to 5.5 million.

Our Zoo ratings were not great but they were far from disastrous.

Crikey, Waterloo Road gets less and has been left running for 97 years - or, just feels like it has possibly.

It did actually lose around 1m in overnights but gained a lot in consolidateds and was around 5.5m as you say by episode 5.
    Actually its ratings were complicated by opt outs and an extremely low consolidated for the first episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the Generation Game name issue.

I wonder if that is down to Miranda Hart. Perhaps she has qualms about being compared to her hero Bruce on the show that he established....recall she has often said how he influenced her and made a loving documentary around him.

Possibly she would prefer it to be 'like' the Generation Game but not actually the same thing for personal reasons. The way she reacted to the premature release of the news of her link to the show suggests that to me as a possibility.

The BBC probably do want to call it Miranda Hart's Generation Game, or some such, because they are not idiots and know the name will add 1 million to the viewing figures.

Calling Blankety Blank the Guess List or whatever it was only made people say - but this is Blankety Blank in disguise - and regard it as more of an imitation than they would have done if they had just called it Blankety Blank and said they had updated it.

Format rights might have been an issue, too. Would that be true for Generation Game though? Not sure.

Or maybe after all the failed pilots for a revival in the past they just think Gen Game is cursed and calling it - um - Keep it in the Family - would work better.

Sorry, too late.:)

But the BBC would be messing around with the well loved name at their peril imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not suprisingly Watchdog and WR the previous night stinking up the BBC schedule just to prove they can also put rubbish on.
    EE down on Thursdays again, there certainly seems to have been a change with audience on Thursdays recently.
    ITV had a good night.

Thursday is turning into a dead night for TV as what has been on the last few months has driven people away. Watchdog was turned into an hour to combat Emmerdale and Coronation Street on Thursdays between 8 and 9pm. It should go back to half an hour paired with a quiz or sitcom.

EastEnders dropping back down again. It should be around 35%. The only thing that will boost Thursday ratings is snow and low temperatures across the country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On the Generation Game name issue.

I wonder if that is down to Miranda Hart. Perhaps she has qualms about being compared to her hero Bruce on the show that he established....recall she has often said how he influenced her and made a loving documentary around him.

Possibly she would prefer it to be 'like' the Generation Game but not actually the same thing for personal reasons. The way she reacted to the premature release of the news of her link to the show suggests that to me as a possibility.

The BBC probably do want to call it Miranda Hart's Generation Game, or some such, because they are not idiots and know the name will add 1 million to the viewing figures.

Calling Blankety Blank the Guess List or whatever it was only made people say - but this is Blankety Blank in disguise - and regard it as more of an imitation than they would have done if they had just called it Blankety Blank and said they had updated it.

Format rights might have been an issue, too. Would that be true for Generation Game though? Not sure.

Or maybe after all the failed pilots for a revival in the past they just think Gen Game is cursed and calling it - um - Keep it in the Family - would work better.

Sorry, too late.:)

But the BBC would be messing around with the well loved name at their peril imo.

You would think that one of the selling points for this would be the name but that might restrict any changes etc that they might want to make. Change it too much and people will say thats not The Gen Game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would think that one of the selling points for this would be the name but that might restrict any changes etc that they might want to make. Change it too much and people will say thats not The Gen Game.

They cannot win - though - as not change it enough and they will say that IS the Gen Game - so why are they pretending it isn't?

If it is an obviously different show, okay, rename it. If it is still basically the Gen Game then sacrificing the kudos of reviving this to attract the curious viewer is taking a big risk.

This is likely why there has been no announcement over the name. Somewhere there are mixed opinions over what to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They cannot win - though - as not change it enough and they will say that IS the Gen Game - so why are they pretending it isn't?

If it is an obviously different show, okay, rename it. If it is still basically the Gen Game then sacrificing the kudos of reviving this to attract the curious viewer is taking a big risk.

This is likely why there has been no announcement over the name. Somewhere there are mixed opinions over what to do.

Miranda Hart doesnt seem keen to call it Generation Game as far as I can see though.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Miranda Hart doesnt seem keen to call it Generation Game as far as I can see though.

Miranda is going to be a great host for the Gen Game. Having seen her live on stage handling two audience members setting up a blind date style section of her stand up, she seemed perfectly at home.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Thursday is turning into a dead night for TV as what has been on the last few months has driven people away. Watchdog was turned into an hour to combat Emmerdale and Coronation Street on Thursdays between 8 and 9pm. It should go back to half an hour paired with a quiz or sitcom.

EastEnders dropping back down again. It should be around 35%. The only thing that will boost Thursday ratings is snow and low temperatures across the country.

I think the rape storyline has put some viewers off watching. Its not exactly enjoyable TV with storyline like that.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    ITV had a strong evening overall, with Tonight special Ebola - Are We Prepared? averaging 3.2 million and a 15% share from 7.30pm. It was Tonight’s biggest audience since May.

So, is no one going to make a connection with this and EastEnders being slightly down? EastEnders was down about 300k from Tuesday which people deemed a decent rating, not unimaginable to think those viewers watched an episode of Tonight that was focused on a story that's dominating the news right now, given that got its biggest rating since May.
  • Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    Fingers crossed for another good rating for Neighbours at lunchtime today, it was just brilliant. It's on a roll at the moment!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the rape storyline has put some viewers off watching. Its not exactly enjoyable TV with storyline like that.

And yet it had good ratings last week. Whenever it gets a boost it can't hold on to viewers for long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky axes low rating shows. This is television people. You don't deliver and you don't last long.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-10-17/sky-axes-nick-frost-drama-mr-sloane-and-chris-addison-comedy-trying-again
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky axes low rating shows. This is television people. You don't deliver and you don't last long.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-10-17/sky-axes-nick-frost-drama-mr-sloane-and-chris-addison-comedy-trying-again

No wonder Mr Sloane flopped. It was on Sky Atlantic.

What is the point of Sky Atlantic anyway? With a name like that I expect it to be like 5USA - i.e. only for American programmes. Maybe everyone else thinks the same and that's why no-one can find its occasional British programming.

Maybe Sky should stick all their homegrown content on one channel where viewers would know where to find it, namely Sky One.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    Isnt it a bit early to be naming the pilot of "The Generation Game" if Miranda Hart then refuses a series. Surely the audience will be disappointed that it revival won't be going ahead if it doesn't work. Charlotte Moore didn't mention it much at all after Miranda Hart refused to confirm her involvement in a revival, so the programme may just be made under another title until they are completely convinced everyone wants to go ahead this time. Paul O Grady seemed to struggle with the show, so perhaps Miranda would like to try it out first before definately deciding to do any more.

Its hard to find light entertainment hits.

They were really struggling in 2004 reading some of the Paul O Grady background articles, with Heggesey pinning her hopes on "Strictly Come Dancing" and a panel show pilot with Cilla Black and Rory Brenner, Jo Brand as team captains.

Cilla slates "The X Factor" format in her interviews from 2004 as says she switched off!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »

What is the point of Sky Atlantic anyway? With a name like that I expect it to be like 5USA - i.e. only for American programmes. Maybe everyone else thinks the same and that's why no-one can find its occasional British programming.

Maybe Sky should stick all their homegrown content on one channel where viewers would know where to find it, namely Sky One.

Sky Atlantic is a channel looking for a purpose. Hurriedly created to show HBO programmes they bought. Some of the Sky made Atlantic shows should be on other Sky channels instead.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Peaky Blinders was much better then what was on BBC One that night.
  • Options
    dizziedizzie Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »

Mr Sloane ought to have been on Sky One, as you say, seeing as most other home-made comedies of this type were on that channel and did pretty well out of their location. I think someone mistakenly thought that Sky Atlantic viewers weren't just looking for the best of US imports, but would happily pay for the premium service to watch British shows as well. Wrong - the channel has been promoted for American content since it's inception, so no one even bothers looking at anything that hasn't been imported, without the weight of strong US reviews behind it. As far as I can tell, it wasn't a bad show, it was just in the wrong place - Sky Atlantic viewers are clearly not looking for the latest Nick Frost vehicle!
This discussion has been closed.