Options

The Boy From Space (Look & Read)

dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
Forum Member
Does anyone remember this from school? Just seen while browsing Amazon that its had a DVD release which I really would never have expected!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Boy-From-Space-Disc/dp/B00L567NVC

Comments

• Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The first Look and Read story I can remember watching at school was Sky Hunter which was about the theft and smuggling of rare birds and the eggs thereof. It was broadcast in '78 a couple of years before a slighly reworked version of The Boy from Space was shown
  • Options
    pompeyfmpompeyfm Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Yes I remember being at school and the teacher would bring out the portable black and white tv for the class to watch this!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Yes. Wordy and Henry Wolff (bushy eyebrows). The Skyhunter story had Geoffrey Bayldon in it, I believe, and he wasn't who he seemed... As for 'Peep Peep', who could forget his Bowie-esque presence on a school's TV programme which was maybe based on the 'Midwich Cuckoos?' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqlozoXVxYM
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Didn't the theme go something like

"Way out in space, will we find friends, is this the place where the universe ends?"

Popped into my head as soon as I saw the thread title and I would have last heard it about 30 years ago!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Wordy and Henry Wolff (bushy eyebrows). The Skyhunter story had Geoffrey Bayldon in it, I believe, and he wasn't who he seemed...

His character was one of the smugglers but I think he grassed up his accomplices in the end
  • Options
    hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not too long ago I watched all these on Youtube as I couldn't get it out of my head! Loved look & read, I think the first story I watched/read was Dark Towers.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    It is really scary and sinister stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Another classic is the science series 'Look Around'. There are quite a few episodes of this most informative children's school education series to be found on YouTube.
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    The first Look and Read story I can remember watching at school was Sky Hunter which was about the theft and smuggling of rare birds and the eggs thereof. It was broadcast in '78 a couple of years before a slighly reworked version of The Boy from Space was shown

I remember watching Sky Hunter at school. Through the Dragon's Eye and Geordie Racer are two others.
    Saigo wrote: »
    It is really scary and sinister stuff.

A lot of the shows had sinister and dark undertones. I remember being scared of Mr. Trim in Sky Hunter.
  • Options
    lloys-strachanlloys-strachan Posts: 1,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Boy fron Space always reminds me of junior school: waiting for the big tv on its stand to be wheeled into the assembly hall with the smell of school dinner being cooked behind the shutters at the back of the room.

I can still hum that theme music forty years on.

Oh happy days! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does this mean Fairground, Badgergirl and Derek Griffith SIngs The Spelling Greats aren't too far behind? It's the 'magic e' and 'dog detective' songs that stay with me. Oh, and the last episode of Boy From Space was so creepy. So much of late 70s/early 80s kids TV is incredibly bleak, reflecting the times. And what did we have to cheer us up? Some bloke in gold chains surrounded by a gang of slightly scared children. God, that Mr T series was awful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    With Look and Read, I was quite a late runner! Only started watching them when CBBC were finishing the repeats in 2007 (part of Class TV). The stories I like are Boy from Space, Sky Hunter (and Sky Hunter II), Joe and the Sheep Rustlers and Badger Girl.
  • Options
    AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved The Boy from Space. I am crossing my fingers that Dark Towers, Geordie Racer and Fair Ground will be next!
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    AngiBear wrote: »
    I loved The Boy from Space. I am crossing my fingers that Dark Towers, Geordie Racer and Fair Ground will be next!

Loved them all, also Joe and the sheep rustlers and cloud burst. :)