Options

A really boring thread about food temperatures...

Apologies in advance should anyone lose some time in a moment and slip into the following day...:blush:

I used to work in a catering role and was told that under Health and Safety rules food needs to be cooked to a temperature of 75 degrees Celsius in order for bacteria to be killed.

However, when cooking at home I find anything above 60 degrees dries out the food and impairs the taste. Particularly chicken. So is this a case of Health and Safety going OTT and 75 degrees is overkill? I reckon it's all balls like 'use by' dates, and 'best befores'? :D

Comments

• Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    plymgary wrote: »
    Apologies in advance should anyone lose some time in a moment and slip into the following day...:blush:

I used to work in a catering role and was told that under Health and Safety rules food needs to be cooked to a temperature of 75 degrees Celsius in order for bacteria to be killed.

However, when cooking at home I find anything above 60 degrees dries out the food and impairs the taste. Particularly chicken. So is this a case of Health and Safety going OTT and 75 degrees is overkill? I reckon it's all balls like 'use by' dates, and 'best befores'? :D

Whats that in gas marks and farenheight?

If Im cooking something at 180 for example on my oven, is that centigrade or farenheight?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »
    Whats that in gas marks and farenheight?

If Im cooking something at 180 for example on my oven, is that centigrade or farenheight?

I mean the internal temperature of the food if you put one of those pokey thermometers in. I really need to get out more!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mean the internal temperature of the food if you put one of those pokey thermometers in. I really need to get out more!

Oh. I wouldnt have a clue.

What about when they serve beef dripping with red juice still? Cant imagine that is very hot inside.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

Who uses one of those things in-doors?
    Can't help you but I'll wait and see what the answers are, out of curiosity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh. I wouldnt have a clue.

What about when they serve beef dripping with red juice still? Cant imagine that is very hot inside.

Well, I have no idea what that is. Sounds lovely though.

When I say catering establishment where I worked was actually a canteen in a Tesco. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well, I do. I think it's really useful for cooking. In my defense, this did first start accidentally as I need to measure temperatures for feather dyeing at home so the thermometer was knocking around anyway. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I have no idea what that is. Sounds lovely though.

When I say catering establishment where I worked was actually a canteen in a Tesco. :p

What... Beef?

I meant when you see on these chef shows that you cook a joint and get it out and its 'rare', or in my words raw.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What... Beef?

I meant when you see on these chef shows that you cook a joint and get it out and its 'rare', or in my words raw.

LOL, I know what beef is. I'm not quite that dense! I meant the whole red juice thing.

I love beef rare. As in, barely dead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL, I know what beef is. I'm not quite that dense! I meant the whole red juice thing.

Well I was going to say blood but I suppose in reality its not actually blood although Im not sure what it is, just juice.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't apologise, OP. Your thread isn't about Muslims, rape, Oscar Pistorious, Mark Duggan or gay people being told not to do something.

You should be applauded.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well, I do. I think it's really useful for cooking. In my defense, this did first start accidentally as I need to measure temperatures for feather dyeing at home so the thermometer was knocking around anyway. :)

Ahh, I can see why you'd find one of these useful then.
    Well you'd probably consider any meat I cooked seriously over cooked then.

A bloke was getting into this 'discussion' at the works canteen a few weeks back.
    Chicken was red and 'juicy' at the bone, undercooked for him and me, but staff were getting the thermometer out.
    What I call 'technically cooked, but not cooked'
    Staff didn't take it too well but changed his meal, he wasn't going to eat it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Never taken the internal temperature of anything I've cooked in my life.

Still around,.
  • Options
    anfortisanfortis Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Well I was going to say blood but I suppose in reality its not actually blood although Im not sure what it is, just juice.

I think it's protein of some description. Definitely not blood.

In answer to the OP, there's no way you could get anything other than a well-done steak if it was cooked to an internal temperature of 75C, so it's certainly not the case for all food, but there are certain foods that have to be heated thoroughly to ensure that they are safe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    anfortis wrote: »
    I think it's protein of some description. Definitely not blood.

In answer to the OP, there's no way you could get anything other than a well-done steak if it was cooked to an internal temperature of 75C, so it's certainly not the case for all food, but there are certain foods that have to be heated thoroughly to ensure that they are safe.

Thanks. Ah, but is 60 or so degrees thorough enough to be classed as thorough enough cooking to be safe? As in, what is the actual temperature in which bacteria is destroyed? Is it 75 degrees or, as I suspect, much lower?
  • Options
    Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This might help https://www.cookipedia.co.uk/recipes_wiki/Safe_minimum_cooking_temperatures or you could try asking over in the Food and Drink part of DS
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Don't apologise, OP. Your thread isn't about Muslims, rape, Oscar Pistorious, Mark Duggan or gay people being told not to do something.

You should be applauded.

You missed meat eating as opposed to vegetarianism which this thread wanders close to

however the problem with threads like these is that they can mostly be resolved with a quick google
    http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html

63 degrees for red meat, 74 for leftovers, reheats etc ;-)
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    There are more cases of food poisoning than people realise. It's generally blamed on a tummy bug, gastric flu or just 'eating something that has upset you'. If you take meat out of the fridge and cook it and the inside is not properly cooked through then the bacteria will have the ideal conditions to multiply enough to give you food poisoning. This is especially true in poultry which contains salmonella. Most people will get over it pretty quickly but if you are young, ill or vulnerable it can be devastating. For the catering industry it is a disaster. 60 degrees wouldn't be hot enough for poultry. Beef does not carry the same contamination but you still can't guarantee the safety of rare meat.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Well someone who works in catering should know that, to use or sell anything that has gone past the USE by date, is 1 dangerous to other people, and illegal and would very likely be prosicuted for that offence. selling or useing things that say, best before date, or sell by, are not committing a offence.
    Best before, use by, display until... what all the date labels on your food actually mean

Most food packaging will have one or more of three date labels: best before, use by and display until. The 'use by' and 'best before' labels are required by law – Directive 2000/13/EC of the European Parliament, implemented in Britain by the Food Labelling Regulations 1996. The 'display until' label is added by retailers to help with stock control.
    Best before

'Best before' dates relate to the quality of the food, its taste, texture, aroma and appearance. If food is stored according to package guidelines, it should be at its best up to and including the 'best before' date.

Food should be safe to eat after the 'best before' date, but it might not be at its best quality.

Retailers can sell food after its 'best before' date provided it still complies with the Food Safety Act 1990 and the General Food Regulations 2004. These make it illegal for someone to sell or supply food that does not meet food-safety requirements or that does not meet the consumer's quality expectations. It is illegal to sell or give away food after its 'best before' date if the food has deteriorated so much that it does not meet these expectations.

If you believe a shop has sold unsafe food, you should report it to your local environmental health department, which may investigate.
    Use by

'Use by' dates refer to safety and are the required form of date mark for foods considered to be highly perishable from a microbiological point of view. This largely means fresh and chilled foods, such as raw meat, poultry, fish, eggs, milk, fruit and vegetables.

The 'use by' date only applies to products kept in the state in which they were intended to be sold: for example, a product created to be sold chilled should not be sold frozen.

Legally, food with a 'use by' date cannot be sold after that date, and should not be used after midnight of that day, even if it looks and smells fine.
    If you have food approaching its 'use by' date, you have two options: you can cook it on its 'use by' date then eat it straightaway, store it in the fridge for up to two days, or freeze it; or you can freeze it the day before its 'use by' date and then cook it within 24 hours of defrosting.

It is illegal to sell food after its 'use by' date.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Best Before Jan 2018

Once opened, use within 10 seconds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I worked as a chef my health and safety course said food is cooked at 63 degrees but we cooked it till 75 degrees to allow it to still be warm enough to eat by the time the customer got it ...well that's the reason I remember...also I'll always know which chopping board is for what!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bspace wrote: »
    You missed meat eating as opposed to vegetarianism which this thread wanders close to

however the problem with threads like these is that they can mostly be resolved with a quick google
    http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html

63 degrees for red meat, 74 for leftovers, reheats etc ;-)

BIB It's not a 'problem', it's a discussion forum, sometimes (well I do) post this sort of thing for the discussion, range of opinions, random but interesting information, as well as the answer.
    That protein thing posted by another FM in relation to blood/juices has piqued my interest.
  • Options
    anfortisanfortis Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    That protein thing posted by another FM in relation to blood/juices has piqued my interest.

Found it - it's Myoglobin
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member

Lots of home cooks use them, they are pretty cheap and a great way to ensure your food is cooked just right.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    SequShor wrote: »
    Never taken the internal temperature of anything I've cooked in my life.

Still around,.

That's not why most people do it though, I use a meat thermometer to check mostly joints of meat to make sure it's cooked nice and rare or in the case of poultry just cooked. I also use it when i slow cook a pork shoulder for 12 hours.