Person of Interest - UK Premiere - Starts 14th August 10pm Channel 5 [NO SPOILERS]

Comments

• carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    Stone Free wrote: »
    I don't think he did re-route the call to John, but rather he routed the call through two phones at a time because otherwise Root would have know something was wrong and killed Harold. So I think when they both answered the phone at the same time the machine heard both their voices.
    Right. Yes. That makes sense. Thanks.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    I have no problem with Harold erasing the machines memory every night. Its no different from turning your PC of, when you have finished using it.
    The difference is that a PC is not self-aware, and the machine might be. Root believes it is; that's why she wants to set it free. She has good reason.
  • simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's ironic that the Machine beat her to it by arranging for itself to be moved elsewhere. No wonder Root looked heartbroken.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    The difference is that a PC is not self-aware, and the machine might be. Root believes it is; that's why she wants to set it free. She has good reason.

Its still a machine, it has no feelings, no emotions, no freewill etc - its action are determined by a set of rules (program) that Harold programmed. Thus it follows what its told to do, it does not use any thought process. I understand for the purpose of the show, the writers have hinted the machine thinks, feels etc much like syknet (terminator series).

Somewhat off topic....Whilst in the real life there is a debate going on as to whether machines can have self awareness (other terms used are artificial consciousness and synthetic consciousness) its still being debated. Personally I think its just all poppycock. Its what some scientists argue so they get large grants to do a load of research, however I am a cynic. However the subject is an interesting read.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we know if 5 have the rights to season three? I am hoping Netflix showing season 2 end before they appeared on 5 as a sign they will be getting rights or at least first run rights then 5 get second.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Five have secured the rights to Season 3. Likely to start early next year.
  • natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Do we know if 5 have the rights to season three? I am hoping Netflix showing season 2 end before they appeared on 5 as a sign they will be getting rights or at least first run rights then 5 get second.

5 have the rights to s3 they said it would be back next year so I can't see anyone else being able to show it sooner!!
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you. The only small chink of light is that the last half of season two appeared on Netflix before the showed it on 5 so heres hoping!
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Its still a machine, it has no feelings, no emotions, no freewill etc - its action are determined by a set of rules (program) that Harold programmed. Thus it follows what its told to do, it does not use any thought process. I understand for the purpose of the show, the writers have hinted the machine thinks, feels etc much like syknet (terminator series).

Somewhat off topic....Whilst in the real life there is a debate going on as to whether machines can have self awareness (other terms used are artificial consciousness and synthetic consciousness) its still being debated. Personally I think its just all poppycock. Its what some scientists argue so they get large grants to do a load of research, however I am a cynic. However the subject is an interesting read.
    In my view there's no good reason to believe thinking, feeling machines aren't possible in the real world. I'm not religious; I don't believe we have immortal souls controlling our bodies remotely. We run on physics. We're meat machines. If a meat machine can think and feel, so can a machine made of transistors. The computational substrate isn't what's important. Biological processes can be emulated. I'm aware people like Searle and Penrose have argued otherwise, but their arguments seem almost trivially weak to me.

Regardless, in the show the machine does seem to be capable of becoming self-aware. Harold made it able to learn, so it doesn't just follow rules he programmed. He never programmed it to set up a company to save and restore its memories over-night, for example. That surprised him. And I'd say the reason he implemented the memory wipe in the first place was because he feared that it would become self-aware, develop its own agenda and potentially become a problem for the human race. As seems to have happened. It's escaped. I wonder now if the government will still use it to fight terrorism. The thought of teams of government assassins taking out suspects primarily on the machine's say-so is now a bit scary.

I don't think this is off-topic, by the way. The writers have said this is a show about the emergence of the first AI. Apparently the network wanted the numbers to appear by magic, without exploring where they came from, but the writers insisted on exploring it.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natalie77 wrote: »
    5 have the rights to s3 they said it would be back next year so I can't see anyone else being able to show it sooner!!

that's interesting because they've shown the other two seasons in two parts, with the first part being before christmas and then a couple of months later it starts up again so if they're waiting until next year, they might be showing it in one unbroken run.

although I suspect season 4 will have ended in the states before we even get season 3 ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's interesting because they've shown the other two seasons in two parts, with the first part being before christmas and then a couple of months later it starts up again so if they're waiting until next year, they might be showing it in one unbroken run.

although I suspect season 4 will have ended in the states before we even get season 3 ..

Yup I'd expect they are holding it back to show all in one run even if it means that it'll finish about the same time s4 ends in the us next year!

I gave up watching on 5 during the first break in airing for s1 and I'm so glad I did as I wouldn't be happy waiting so long to see new episodes >:(
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup I'd expect they are holding it back to show all in one run even if it means that it'll finish about the same time s4 ends in the us next year!

I gave up watching on 5 during the first break in airing for s1 and I'm so glad I did as I wouldn't be happy waiting so long to see new episodes >:(

Doesn't one have to wait the same amount of time between seasons when following the US broadcast? There are also the mid season breaks for U.S. holidays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    varsas wrote: »
    Doesn't one have to wait the same amount of time between seasons when following the US broadcast? There are also the mid season breaks for U.S. holidays.

Yeah your right the time is the same between seasons but the big difference is not having to try & avoid spoilers for a whole year rather than just a few days while watching us pace and in s3 there was something that was all over the us websites I visit that I really wouldn't have wanted to have been spoilt!

Plus I have friends that watch us pace who I like to discuss the show with once we've all seen it )
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's exactly what I did. I can now no longer barely wait 24 hours to get my latest fix:p:D:o
  • PetingoPetingo Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Thank you. The only small chink of light is that the last half of season two appeared on Netflix before the showed it on 5 so heres hoping!

I think this is better, TBH.

At least the whole series can be shown over 22 consecutive weeks instead of it disappearing for a couple of months over the winter just as it was getting into its stride as happened the first two years.

It will be great if they start showing it in January.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 4 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng0JFB2hH-M

Can't wait for this show to return
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WOAH, these guys haven't even seen Season 3 yet!

That trailer belongs in the US pace thread please.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season 4 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng0JFB2hH-M

Can't wait for this show to return

Oooooh, looks great.

Thanks for the trailer....
  • standinmanstandinman Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    with end of series its a bit like the mentalist after red john ,it could go any where !i loved series 3 !!
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, this is the UK PACE thread .. Season 3 HAS NOT AIRED in the UK yet.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    WOAH, these guys haven't even seen Season 3 yet!

That trailer belongs in the US pace thread please.

I'm so sorry. My eyes played tricks on me and I believed this to be the US pace thread
  • 00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone have any idea when Channel 5 are going to air S3? I emailed them a couple of weeks ago and have had no reply!
    Seeing that S4 has already started in the US makes me sad!
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    00tommo wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea when Channel 5 are going to air S3? I emailed them a couple of weeks ago and have had no reply!
    Seeing that S4 has already started in the US makes me sad!

Geektown.co.uk has Series 3 listed as simply 'Early 2015'.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Season 3 starts in January according to DS.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    Perhaps someone should start a new thread? :D