Options

Graffiti artist Banksy arrested?

foonkfoonk Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Could it be so? After all this time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRlC9S7j2Mk

He's a wonderfully talented artist though.

Comments

• Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the CCTV in this country and we supposed to believe no one knows.

Of course people know the police just don't arrest him because it will cause too much hassle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it would be.

As stated above though, so many cameras, plus the fact that loads of people must know him personally.

Of course he could be a she....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    foonk wrote: »
    I thought it would be.

As stated above though, so many cameras, plus the fact that loads of people must know him personally.

Of course he could be a she....

For some reason he is seen as some kind of God to some people and if and when he is arrested it will probably spark some kind of protest etc so I suspect he is being tolerated at the moment and a blind eye is being turned until he paints on something controversial which is seen as overstepping the mark, a traditional landmark in London perhaps.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thought he was outed ages ago...Robin something?
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    thought he was outed ages ago...Robin something?

Robin Banks perhaps?
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not Rolf Harris then ?
  • Options
    The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leave the guy alone.

I would hope that any police officers finding him while placing an artwork on a wall would be happy and ask him for an autograph. :)
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    For some reason he is seen as some kind of God to some people and if and when he is arrested it will probably spark some kind of protest etc so I suspect he is being tolerated at the moment and a blind eye is being turned until he paints on something controversial which is seen as overstepping the mark, a traditional landmark in London perhaps.

Agreed. A vandal is a vandal, no matter how talented.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad it was just a hoax, I love Banksy's work.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not Rolf Harris then ?

Some years ago I was working on some renovations to a restaurant in Nottingham. On one wall was a large mural by Rolf, but the wall had to be removed so it and the mural was just smashed down.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    No. Some 'erbert tagging everything in sight with his "kool" sig that they spent the whole of a double maths period designing is a vandal. Banksy is an artist, and his work is as valid a social commentary as anything hanging in a gallery. Some would argue even more so. I wouldn't disagree.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Some 'erbert tagging everything in sight with his "kool" sig that they spent the whole of a double maths period designing is a vandal. Banksy is an artist, and his work is as valid a social commentary as anything hanging in a gallery. Some would argue even more so. I wouldn't disagree.
    Both are unauthorised. The law cannot differentiate between good and bad graffiti.

It's not as if police officers and judges are going to be sent on art appreciation courses in order to treat the talented vandals more leniently.

As for the OP, was this hoax posted here honestly? If so, it's always best to do a little checking before making such announcements. Or are you on a wind-up?
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both are unauthorised. The law cannot differentiate between good and bad graffiti.

It's not as if police officers and judges are going to be sent on art appreciation courses in order to treat the talented vandals more leniently.

Apart from the idiots from Clacton council, I find it hard to believe anyone will complain to the police that Banksy has just deposited a mural worth tens of thousands on their wall:D

I saw the one he did recently in Folkestone at the weekend - council there were so upset at his unauthourised "vandalism" they've put a perspex screen over it and made it a feature of their triennial art trail:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Leave the guy alone.

I would hope that any police officers finding him while placing an artwork on a wall would be happy and ask him for an autograph. :)

A 40 foot high one on the side of their house perhaps?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Apart from the idiots from Clacton council, I find it hard to believe anyone will complain to the police that Banksy has just deposited a mural worth tens of thousands on their wall:D

I saw the one he did recently in Folkestone at the weekend - council there were so upset at his unauthourised "vandalism" they've put a perspex screen over it and made it a feature of their triennial art trail:)

Sorry, but acts of vandalism are the only way to brighten up Folkestone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As for the OP, was this hoax posted here honestly? If so, it's always best to do a little checking before making such announcements.

Yes.

Thanks, but it wasn't an announcement; it was a question.

Or are you on a wind-up?

No.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    Sorry, but acts of vandalism are the only way to brighten up Folkestone.

:D
    Actually Folkestone is considerably better than it was 25 years ago when I first started visiting - the high speed link to London has done wonders for re-generation.
    Of course that also means many of the people who live there are now being priced out:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it depends what the painting is depicting.

A landscape would be preferable to a war scene!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :D
    Actually Folkestone is considerably better than it was 25 years ago when I first started visiting - the high speed link to London has done wonders for re-generation.
    Of course that also means many of the people who live there are now being priced out:(

I will bow to your experience. My views are, I admit. based solely on a dreadfully disappointing 'dirty weekend' I had there in 1979. I will not go into details, but the debacle started with 'My parents have decided to come down here too'.

Because of this, I have a distinct hatred of funicular railways.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't disagree about the Law not being able to differentiate. There's plenty of examples through history where someone said or wrote or did something against the wishes of the establishment that was later recognised as a work or act of significance. Take the writings of Thomas Paine, or the actions of John Bull or Wat Tyler. Fortunately we are a more enlightened society in the main, and we no longer publicly execute those who step out of line. (Though in some cases that's a mixed blessing :D )

The Law may be ill equipped to make judgements of artistic merit, that's understandable. But I hope that's not such a problem for society at large.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't disagree about the Law not being able to differentiate. There's plenty of examples through history where someone said or wrote or did something against the wishes of the establishment that was later recognised as a work or act of significance. Take the writings of Thomas Paine, or the actions of John Bull or Wat Tyler. Fortunately we are a more enlightened society in the main, and we no longer publicly execute those who step out of line. (Though in some cases that's a mixed blessing :D )

The Law may be ill equipped to make judgements of artistic merit, that's understandable. But I hope that's not such a problem for society at large.

Paine was an apologist for the atrocities of the French Revolution.
    John Bull is merely a literary depiction of the UK is he not?
    Wat Tyler thing didn't end well - the peasants were worse off after Richard exacted revenge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's only worth tens of thousands because some arses are willing to pay that, so all those who complain about the rich remember they may be willing to pay you money for one on your house.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Banksy' is a group of people IMO, though Robin Gunningham is a man who's been seen many times around or involved with the art. If Banksy is, indeed, just one man, then it's Robin.