Options

Top Gear

Comments

• Options
    maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well I loved the Pug bit. All the supercar stuff bores the pants off me .
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it was so true. Peugeot do make cars now for people like that.

A colleague saw a crashed into a telephonepost one on the way to work, I saw one drive over a kerb.

For balance also saw a MErc driven by a tw @ t

When I've been driving in snow the most crashed cars I've seen of one type were BMWs (especially on motorways) is that due to the type of driver, the marque or just because they are rear wheel drive?
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the Peugeot section was an act of facetiousness, but they were deadly serious.

I know that Peugeots of recent vintage didn't handle like the go-kart handlers of yesteryear & lot of them lack excitement, but they're not 'rubbish'.

A lot of Volkswagens are boring as hell, but they sell by the truckload & are well thought of.

Peugeot has just tried to copy VW's formula for success.

In addition, recent Peugeots are much better built than they used to be & a lot less troublesome.

I thought that partiular segment was overly harsh.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I think people are taking the Peugeot section too seriously. Top Gear have a go at Audi drivers, Jag drivers, Volvo drivers and so on playing up to stereotypes.

Wasn't as strong an episode as the previous ones but they have all been top notch, not sure why Olly Muuuurrrrs was on, perhaps a proper guest dropped out at the last minute?

The attitude of Mclaren and Ferrari also stinks anyone would think they've got something to hide.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    So wealthy people don't watch TV? They don't decide wether to accept said invitations to buy based on their view that the company their buying from has acted like a bit of an idiot In their opinion? The company is so elite they don't need any form of advertising?
    The companies got plenty of advertising in this episode. And frankly if I'd spent a million on a car, I'm not sure I'd want to risk a 2/3rds chance of it testing slower than a rival car.
  • Options
    MrTheDMrTheD Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    As I said last week, I think this series has been the strongest for a long, long while. Virtually every episode has been strong and entertaining, and very few boring features at all.

Last night though was a real blip, found it very dull pretty much throughout. Hammonds Corvette feature was 'ok' but nothing great (although I did like Clarksons descriptions. The hybrid section was a bit dry except for the end bit explaining why they can't race them), SIARPC was ok but very short. The Peugeot bit , I can see what they were going for, but it just got stale and boring very quickly and I lost interest.

Hopefully they knew the 'films' in tonights episode were all a bit dull and decided to lump them all together as a mid series lull and next week it will be back on form.
  • Options
    ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bit where they drove the two Peugeot cars may be the worst segment in the show's history. Utterly puerile.
  • Options
    stripestripe Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have to agree with most the peugeot bit was just stupid, even hammond likes the rcz
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/motoring/car-reviews/top-gears-richard-hammond-peugeot-2064733

now what they should have done was to swap that segment for the mcclaren and ferrari, that would have been so funny smacking those peices of yawn up the wall.

i find localy most the old cars still on the road seem to be the 206 or rover/mg, strange one that!
  • Options
    SucmedicSucmedic Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stripe wrote: »
    have to agree with most the peugeot bit was just stupid, even hammond likes the rcz
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/motoring/car-reviews/top-gears-richard-hammond-peugeot-2064733!

Exactly my earlier point. The show is no longer credible. I used to look forward to a good balance of reviews and entertainment. Now we get neither.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Sucmedic wrote: »
    Exactly my earlier point. The show is no longer credible. I used to look forward to a good balance of reviews and entertainment. Now we get neither.

On the basis that they've been hooning around in supercars, acting like idiots, and generally taking the pee for years, at what point was the show "credible" according to your definition? :confused:
  • Options
    SucmedicSucmedic Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the basis that they've been hooning around in supercars, acting like idiots, and generally taking the pee for years, at what point was the show "credible" according to your definition? :confused:

It was always a bit tounge in cheek I agree. Now it's just an hour of contradictions and desperation.
  • Options
    Duncan_StylesDuncan_Styles Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    The Peugeot section was embarrassing but not as embarrassing as the entire ambulance thing they did 2 weeks back. Last weeks show was great.

They have 10 weeks to fill this year and they cant do it without resorting to wasting time. I'd rather they had compared a bunch of current cars.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Peugeot section was embarrassing but not as embarrassing as the entire ambulance thing they did 2 weeks back. Last weeks show was great.

They have 10 weeks to fill this year and they cant do it without resorting to wasting time. I'd rather they had compared a bunch of current cars.

What you want a car review? Seriously? What comparing the Astra 4 speed car heater to the climate control on the Focus (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

All spoken in that awful nasal voice you get from the village idiot in the pub who "knows about cars"

Er, no thanks, I can get all that crap on Youtube or just go down to a car showroom.

No one is interested in proper car reviews, if they were someone would do a TV show about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was always a bit tounge in cheek I agree. Now it's just an hour of contradictions and desperation.

Yet you still appear to sit through it for an hour? Can I ask why?

I hate the following with a passion

Call the Midwife
    Eastenders
    Holby Casualty thingy
    The Voice
    Coronation Street

I could go on. I don't sit and watch them to then go on an internet forum to moan. I just don't get people who appear to hate Top Gear yet sit through it for an hour.

Why why why do you do it?

I assume we won't be seeing any comments from you after next weeks show as you will be watching Call the Midwife or something else? After all you wouldn't bother sitting through an hour of it again...would you?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    I was so disappointed with that Peugeot section

It started off well, and I think that they were right to highlight the crapness of the 307 / 407 etc. but that driving around bit was interesting for about 30 seconds and that was it.

I would have liked to have seen them at least mention the RCZ and Peugeot's sportscar history too
  • Options
    Duncan_StylesDuncan_Styles Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    What you want a car review? Seriously? What comparing the Astra 4 speed car heater to the climate control on the Focus (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

All spoken in that awful nasal voice you get from the village idiot in the pub who "knows about cars"

Er, no thanks, I can get all that crap on Youtube or just go down to a car showroom.

No one is interested in proper car reviews, if they were someone would do a TV show about it.

<sigh>

No, Top Gear don't do that. They have been known to take a few similar cars and thrash them around their track. That would be been more interesting, more fun to watch and mildly informative.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Must be me, but I thought they did do the compare some cars bit - the Corvette v Porsche, then a beautifully filmed piece on that nice red car. Maybe it would be better for some people if the whole programme was filled with A v B comparisons, but too much of a good thing isn't necessarily a good thing, and it wouldn't leave room for the clowning around. I've watched that Peugeot bit again today and whilst obvs not as funny 2nd time round [like your mate telling the same joke on successive days] it's well made and full of neat little jokes & sight gags. It's not worth listing them, in the same way there's no point listing the funny bits in Monty Python's Holy Grail film. It made us LOL though. Me, OH, two increasingly independent kids, sharing a belly laugh on a Sunday evening. Fine by me thanks.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you want a car review? Seriously? What comparing the Astra 4 speed car heater to the climate control on the Focus

Why not, they will waffle on for ages about whether one ugly 'supercar' looks better than another ugly 'supercar'. Or whether one of them is 0.00001 seconds faster than other so 'worth' the extra £100,000.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

Can you explain the "contradictions and desperation" in the Corvette/Porsche piece ... or in the News ... or in the LaFerrari test?

I won't ask about the SIARPC because I skip through that! :D
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet you still appear to sit through it for an hour?

I don't know about others but I am often waiting in the hope that the next item will be better. Last night I watched the whole programme but I was doing other things most of the time, it did not hold my attention.
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    You are very well informed, Sir. That is it, in a nutshell.

Your`re in luck.. there`s a program for you that they show EVERY single day.. it`s called Loose Women. Enjoy
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ffa1 wrote: »
    The bit where they drove the two Peugeot cars may be the worst segment in the show's history. Utterly puerile.

Spot on.
    It was a very pedestrian segment.
    Also how come every week Hammond get's the piss taken out of him because of his size, May gets ridiculed for being slow but no one jokes about Jeremy's expanding gut.
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Peugeot section - I actually felt embarrassed for them - awful.
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like others have said ovrall a little bit weak. I cant be bothered with ridiculously priced supercars. The Peugot bit started off well, even the boardroom bit was reasonably funny but the rest of it was dire.

They could have done a comparision with older Pugs compared to new ones, eg 205 GTI against a new 208 GTI
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owl61uk wrote: »
    They could have done a comparision with older Pugs compared to new ones, eg 205 GTI against a new 208 GTI
    IIRC they've done 'old vs new' at least a couple of times. The new cars pretty much always win by a street on any quantitative test at all, because car engineering has advanced quite significantly in say 30 years. And the people who complain about TG would complain they're doing the same material all over again.

The Pug segment was pretty boring and it wasn't very good satire but satire is something TG have only done quite rarely. Maybe there's a good reason why.

Jon
This discussion has been closed.