Options

Car insurance - no claims

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,250
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My dad recently bought another car, and I'm down on the currently policy as a named driver just in case he takes ill while we're out somewhere. The previous car we had was a Ford Galaxy 2.3 (97) petrol and the one he has now is a Peugeot 406 TD (96) I rung the insurance company to get a quote first of all and they said an additional £168.00 premium per month!! Which is a lot, but my dad has 8 years no claims and doesn't want to cancel mid policy to incur all the fees and such. So I've decided to pay the rest of the policy for this other vehicle. In total it will be around £267.00 per month. Just a question about the no claims, at the end of this policy, and my dad gains another year no claims. Will that be transferred to a new insurance company if we decide to move when we find a lower quote? Say we move from Kwik fit to Asda, will Asda hold the 8 years no claims or will we have to stay with Kwik fit?

Comments

• Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    No claims are transferrable as long as it can be proved

For example I earn my 5th year at the moment with Swiftcover - if I want to move elsewhere, I can, and I can show them a renewal letter from Swiftcover stating 5 years
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    When your policy is up, you need to get a proof of no claims from your insurers, then you tell the insurers you are getting quotes from so they can give you anaccurate quote.

I have to say, you seem to be paying an extortionate amount per month!!:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you both for your answers, much appreciated. Guess I'll just have to bite my tongue and pay the rest of the premium with kwik-fit and shop around come renewal time.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    erazertf wrote: »
    Thank you both for your answers, much appreciated. Guess I'll just have to bite my tongue and pay the rest of the premium with kwik-fit and shop around come renewal time.

Have a check to see how much the fee to cancel the current policy it is. And then do a search on the insurance comparison sites.

You may save enough by moving to another insurer to cover the fee.
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    wow, that is a lot. I was with kwikfit for about 5 yrs and the premiums were fairly reasonable but this year the premium went up by over £200 per year. I think they check their database for customers who haven't 'moved' and give them stupid quotes in the hope they'll stay loyal and pay anything.

i've moved to axa and the premiums gone from £68 to £45 per month and that's with breakdown recovery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Have a check to see how much the fee to cancel the current policy it is. And then do a search on the insurance comparison sites.

You may save enough by moving to another insurer to cover the fee.

If I cancel the insurance and pay the fee, will they take back the no year claims he has built up? Also would the previous policy on the no claims sheet show the expiry date of the previous policy that was paid in full (2007) or the date in the next few days if I was to cancel? It's just that some insurance companies will only accept no claims bonus if the previous policy expired no longer than 2 years ago.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I cancel the insurance and pay the fee, will they take back the no year claims he has built up? Also would the previous policy on the no claims sheet show the expiry date of the previous policy that was paid in full (2007) or the date in the next few days if I was to cancel? It's just that some insurance companies will only accept no claims bonus if the previous policy expired no longer than 2 years ago.

No, he will still have any full years he had. So say he has 5 but he is halfway through year 6. If he cancels he will still have 5 years no claims.

If you decide to cancel your current insurance, you ask them for proof of no claims. Most of the time they will just send a letter stating how many years you have. This will be from when your policy with them ends.

What it means by no longer than 2 years is if you have don't have a current/about to expire policy any no claims you have from already expired policies have to be less than 2 years old.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I work for the NFU Mutual and we dont have admin charges at all
  • Options
    Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's excessive... you're obviously either a young driver or a new driver....... however the engine size/capacity may well also be a factor in your high premiums....... 2.3L petrol and now a turbo Diesel.... ouch... your monthly premium (£267) is nearly what I pay for a whole year! (obviously add on the full NCD, legal fees and courtesy car, extras) - totalling £350- £360. (a year)

try compare the market.... see what they've got to offer you... then take your 'new' policy price back to your original insurer and ask them to 'price match' - alot of them will do that!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    No, he will still have any full years he had. So say he has 5 but he is halfway through year 6. If he cancels he will still have 5 years no claims.

This is reasonable since he will not have paid the full year to qualify for 9 years (8 at the moment)

If you decide to cancel your current insurance, you ask them for proof of no claims. Most of the time they will just send a letter stating how many years you have. This will be from when your policy with them ends.

So when they send the proof of no claims, say I cancel tomorrow the expiry date of the previous policy on the no claims sheet will be.. 09/08/10? Instead of the previous policy he had with kwik fit which expired in 03/2007.
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So when they send the proof of no claims, say I cancel tomorrow the expiry date of the previous policy on the no claims sheet will be.. 09/08/10? Instead of the previous policy he had with kwik fit which expired in 03/2007.
    No, insurance policies are purchased 12 months at a time.
    The no-claims will be however many full years he has had without claims with the current and previous insurers (so ignore the year currently running on the current policy, but the next no-claim will start from when you take out a new policy).
    I don't know what 2007 has to do with anything - the current policy would have started less than 12 months ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glen wrote: »
    No, insurance policies are purchased 12 months at a time.
    The no-claims will be however many full years he has had without claims with the current and previous insurers (so ignore the year currently running on the current policy, but the next no-claim will start from when you take out a new policy).
    I don't know what 2007 has to do with anything - the current policy would have started less than 12 months ago.

Temporarily my dad switched from Kwik fit in March of 2007 to another insurance company, but in October 2009 he went returned because he received a better quote from Kwik fit again.

So, the previous policy expiry date right now would stand at 03/2007 (that's the last time he was with Kwik fit before switching insurance companies). What I'm asking is, if he cancels the insurance with kwik fit tomorrow, and requests a no claims discount letter of proof, will the previous policy expiry date be 09/08/2010? (the one that is currently running) Or will it be 03/2007 with the policy before that?
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You buy 12 months at a time, it doesn't matter which company it is with, each year is separate.
    The 2006 policy has nothing to do with the 2009 policy. The only thing that carries over is the no-claims which is retained with whichever company you are with (providing you pass on proof).
    Assuming there was 8 years NC at the start of this current policy, if you cancel now there will still only be 8 years as a full year hasn't been earned yet. That is the figure the current insurer will have, forget about any previous policies you had with the same insurer, they are not relevant.