Jay James Accused Of 'Ripping Off' Version Of 500 Miles

2»

Comments

• JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He obviously impressed enough people to get them buying it. It's just been played as number 10 in the hot40

No 9 now on iTunes :)
  • benbeez1benbeez1 Posts: 18,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who cares (ROLLEYES/SARCASTIC) the song is shite no matter whos sings it
  • bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FOZ! wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't care at all, and doesn't expect the versions of the songs to be totally unique and never performed before?
    The issue is clearly not that the songs aren't unique, I don't know where you even got that impression. It's the richness in declaring the change in style "genius" without crediting the performer that they copied it from. Simon tacitly credited himself/Jay/the background staff as the source of the "genius".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    this version was on an episode of breaking bad .. 100%
  • bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he didn`t rip anything off.

How many versions have you heard of I will always love you and hallelujah that sounded the same as somebody elses.?

Then those were also rip-offs.
  • babyshezbabyshez Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care. He was fab!
  • gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem is when they say that they've made it their own and that they've changed the arrangement themselves when so any have heard it before.
    As soon as I saw jay was singing 500 miles I thought he'd do the Sleeping At Last version because it suits his voice. I was happy he did do it and I thought he did a great job.
  • Happy_ChappyHappy_Chappy Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben singing Jealous Guy sounded a lot like Gavin Degraw's singing that song too - Simon said to him that "he really made it his own" as well. Although to be fair Ben does seem to sound like Gavin sometimes anyway on different songs.
  • StandByMe89StandByMe89 Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jealous Guy was taken from Donny Hathway's version. I haven't heard Gavin Degraw but I'd say since Donny Hathway's version was from the 70s, Degraw mustve been inspired by Hathway if his rendition sounded like the one last night.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxUSQC-KAHM
    X Factor always does this though.
  • JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The public obviously like it. Now up to No 7 in iTunes chart. :)
  • patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind if a version of a song has been "ripped off" from some other artist/performance if it is good. The only thing that annoys me is when you are led to believe that a contestant or mentor has come up with that arrangement instead of just saying it was inspired by another person. Nothing at all wrong with a cover, but don't take the credit as if it was all your idea. I love some of the Live Lounge performances and think they could provide good material for contestants.
  • Red WimpRed Wimp Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be a trend of taking an up-tempo song and singing it as slow as you can and that getting praised as genius. In most cases I would prefer to have heard it in the original style to be honest
  • pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    Whatever it was it was shit and lost the joy of the original - more like a death march

This. Exactly. The proclaimers version is different from any other song. This version was just any other ballad.
  • gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    I don't mind them doing the covers of covers but it annoys me when Simon starts saying how genius the version is whilst he is sat there grinning like a fool implying it was all his idea and he was the one who did the hard work in creating this new version when in reality someone on the team will have youtubed "500 Miles acoustic" or "Happy live lounge" and said Jay do this version.
  • StarryNight1983StarryNight1983 Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    red_amber wrote: »
    I don't care either. Jay was amazingly crap last night

Changed your message for you :D;-)
  • hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet another rip off someone picked up on the fact that steph ripped off or the producers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xo5DqJzR6s
  • MrSkinMrSkin Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    FOZ! wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't care at all,

You are not alone.

As for Jay's 500 Mile performance, he made me smile and that is all that matters. Well done, Jay.
  • LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are there people stupid enough to believe X-factor contestants come up with arrangements for songs, now that's funny.