Options

George Gently

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They shouldn't continue with John as the lead. He's an unlikable character and the show wouldn't work with him at the centre. It's sad to see it go, but without George it's time to end things IMO.
    I don't think Lee Ingleby is strong enough as a lead character, nor would I think in reality back then, someone like the character he portrays, would be promoted to inspector
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gladysbach wrote: »
    Haven't read any of the books - do they contain the MS storyline ?

i love reading crime thriller books, like banks, or frost, and rebus.. but reading gently books i found difficult. could not get on with the. the author found him, hard to digest and get into..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Interesting synopses and cast interviews from the BCC Media pack (go to the show's Media Centre page and click on the link on the right). Some small spoilers but presumably they'll all appear in the media at the appropriate times!

Added: Just had a thought. Gently told Rachel 'she did a lot of things right', but 'a lot' is not everything so I wonder if she's going to make a serious error of judgment at some point? Possibly over-confidence or her low opinion of Bacchus' capabilities/ethics? (And no, that's not based on any spoilers!)
  • Options
    MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason Done and Lesley Nichol are in this episode
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing asbestos in the factory, even the W.P.C. inhaled it when playing with her dad.
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    Slip up by the production.
    Bachus's car had black wiper blades on chrome arms.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    Morgsie wrote: »
    Jason Done and Lesley Nichol are in this episode

Who are they?
  • Options
    bilsheenebilsheene Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Yes, I sit corrected. I saw the nameplate on his door-D.C.I. George Gently.
    I thought it was a very good episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who are they?

no-one special..
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who are they?

She is the Downton cook
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is the Downton cook

who ???
  • Options
    Jimmy_CarterJimmy_Carter Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 7 is the only series I've watched and I've really enjoyed it so far. I want to watch the first six series now.
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love anything Martin Shaw is in, great actor.
    Love this programme, role suits him down to the ground
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this series is better than the recent ones. The addition of female cop has added another dimension. The relationship between the guys as good as ever. Real father / son vibe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love anything Martin Shaw is in, great actor.
    Love this programme, role suits him down to the ground

Agreed. My favourite Judge John Deed though. Replays on Drama regularly.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    She is the Downton cook

Oh right thanks. Normally I would've Googled them but just thought I'd ask here.
  • Options
    bilsheenebilsheene Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Oh right thanks. Normally I would've Googled them but just thought I'd ask here.

IMDb for all your queries.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4171530/?ref_=ttep_ep2
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Series 7 is the only series I've watched and I've really enjoyed it so far. I want to watch the first six series now.

Same here, I think they've been excellent. Bacchus is a bit of twit though toward Rachel. Id assumed from clips etc he would be the voice of modernity and George a bit old fashioned. It all looks so long ago, yet I was 5 in 1969:o
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    Same here, I think they've been excellent. Bacchus is a bit of twit though toward Rachel. Id assumed from clips etc he would be the voice of modernity and George a bit old fashioned. It all looks so long ago, yet I was 5 in 1969:o

I thought Bacchus was married with kids.
    I thought the whole asbestos thing was an anachronism, it wasn't really understood in the 60s , I worked on building sites in the 70s surrounded by asbestos but there was no protection or warnings, people weren't aware of the dangers. Also the old boy said something about Health and Safety, that didn't exist until recently, it would have been the Factory Inspector then.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bacchus separated from his wife.

Re the asbestos story. I worked in Barking in the early 60s and a case of a worker in a factory nearby was in the newspapers. He suffered from what was called asbestososis.
  • Options
    Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Rachel will get a clear result from a lung biopsy.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    I thought the whole asbestos thing was an anachronism, it wasn't really understood in the 60s , I worked on building sites in the 70s surrounded by asbestos but there was no protection or warnings, people weren't aware of the dangers. Also the old boy said something about Health and Safety, that didn't exist until recently, it would have been the Factory Inspector then.

HASAWA was introduced in 1974. My father had his own business and I remember him reading it and throwing it to one side with a 'what a load of rubbish'. Before that it was the Factories Act I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »

This period is when it was known by those in the know but it was not known by the general population. I think this was basically the storyline here. It would be fair to say that the full impact of exposure only became clear in later years with billions being paid out to date.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]
    I hope Rachel will get a clear result from a lung biopsy.

Yes, unless there's a perverse storyline as there's only a couple of episodes to go and there won't be any more, so we're told.
    Shame she "came late to the party," I like her.

I can't understand why "mouth almighty" Baccus given that he is so enamoured of the inspector's wife hasn't told her that he consorts with prostitutes and is moving to London. but there you go it's a drama not real life.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    I've watched the first half hour and apart from having their mitts all over the GP's car and then saying 'Call forensics', I can't remember many people saying 'Have I got time for a shower' in 1969.

That was what Americans did.