What was the point of that Newsnight discussion?

deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Newsnight invited Emma Reynolds a Labour politician and a Tory politician whose name I did not catch on to discuss post election procedure, legitimacy of the smaller party seats wise forming the government and the cabinet rule book on such matters.

Neither of them were prepared to answer a single question no matter how hard Evan Davis tried. All they did was read from the script and repeat the party line. It was a complete waste of time for the viewer who learned absolutely nothing.

So my question is, who was at fault? Should Newsnight have waited until after the election result was known? Should both MP's have declined to come on the programme because they could not possibly comment on the matter?

What did Newsnight expect them to say? What did they think they were going to say in such a discussion? Davis gave up in the end, thanked them and make some quip about the fact that they were clearly not going to answer.

Comments

• Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A complete waste of time , neither was wiling to discuss the expected outcome. Par for the course for this election , not answering the questions and rattling off some soundbite .

The Tory was David Gauke
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whose thought? Newsnight editor.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    It was farcical. Davis should have stopped the interview.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the point of "Newsnight" full stop, especially with the election yadyada rubbish.
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Don't forget from the political parties' point of view it's yet another opportunity to repeat the same messages and sell the party line.

Let's face it with the amount of people who still don't know who they are going to vote for are only just making up their minds now they do have a point.

In a lot of aspects it was quite an exciting show with reports from around the country but yes, I must admit for me it was disappointing to watch this particular debate.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Newsnight has gone completely downhill over the last year or so. It's almost unwatchable now. Last night's episode was a total waste of time.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Newsnight invited Emma Reynolds a Labour politician and a Tory politician whose name I did not catch on to discuss post election procedure, legitimacy of the smaller party seats wise forming the government and the cabinet rule book on such matters.

Neither of them were prepared to answer a single question no matter how hard Evan Davis tried. All they did was read from the script and repeat the party line. It was a complete waste of time for the viewer who learned absolutely nothing.

So my question is, who was at fault? Should Newsnight have waited until after the election result was known? Should both MP's have declined to come on the programme because they could not possibly comment on the matter?

What did Newsnight expect them to say? What did they think they were going to say in such a discussion? Davis gave up in the end, thanked them and make some quip about the fact that they were clearly not going to answer.

I gave up Newsnight when Paxman left. Davis is totally ineffective.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    I gave up Newsnight when Paxman left. Davis is totally ineffective.

Dreadful. I didn't mind him as a commentator but as an anchorman and main interviewer he's completely out of his depth.