japarajapara Posts: 1,002
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is anyone watching this?

Comments

• Options
    simfransimfran Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Why Kirstie and Phil agreed to do this I don't know. "LIst it" has no meaning in the UK so presumably using the term was part of the format that was bought from the US. The content felt forced throughout. Will not bother watching again.
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch it but only to see the makeovers and because I am nosy (and to poke fun at people's laziness/bad taste) or sometimes to get ideas for home improvements.

I'm not sure the programme works as a whole though, you undertake a hefty home improvement with all the cost and stress and yet perhaps move out to a "better" place with even more stress & the expense of moving - not sure that's a great idea.
  • Options
    ocoxocox Posts: 2,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's got Kirstie in it, what more do you need:);-):blush:
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 31/01/19 - 21:46 #5
    I had to resort to Google to find this thread so I hope it's the most recent.

I've just started watching my recording of the latest one one; that woman – is she absolutely mad? That must surely be most people's idea of a dream house as it is.
    Time will tell ...
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I came to the conclusion that they weren't really planning to move at all, but were just using the programme as an excuse to save money on the architect's fees for a re-design. I loved their existing red kitchen and didn't think the new one was as good as the old one. The changes were quite minimal and they would have to have been mad to think there was any chance of ever finding a better location than the one the lucky sods currently enjoy.
  • Options
    Jimmy_CarterJimmy_Carter Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    japara wrote: »
    Is anyone watching this?

I should think so, someone somewhere must be a watching this drivel...
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it!
  • Options
    Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    I loved their existing red kitchen and didn't think the new one was as good as the old one.

You didn't really, did you? Red units and black tiles? It was a hideous kitchen! You do wonder at people's motives for appearing on a prog. like this.
  • Options
    CatherineWCatherineW Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    I absolutely love this show. They have some great characters on as well which helps. I hope they do some follow ups
  • Options
    stvitusdancestvitusdance Posts: 4,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Well I came to the conclusion that they weren't really planning to move at all, but were just using the programme as an excuse to save money on the architect's fees for a re-design. I loved their existing red kitchen and didn't think the new one was as good as the old one. The changes were quite minimal and they would have to have been mad to think there was any chance of ever finding a better location than the one the lucky sods currently enjoy.

I loved their red kitchen too lol
    Only place in the house i would have red
  • Options
    Jimmy_CarterJimmy_Carter Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was like Phil wasn't even trying ng to find an alternative as we all knew they were never going to move from that lovely house. He was just going through the motions.
    I actually didn't agree with Kirstys plans apart from the kids adjoining door.
    They could have had the playroom downstairs as the guest bedroom for mum and dad.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it!

Same :)
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too, I also enjoy Location Location, in fact most programmes with the lovely Phil! :p It backfired on them a bit last week when one couple decided not to go ahead with the £78K spend on an upgrade. (The whole premise of the show!) :D So Kirsty was left to just do a spot of redecorating instead. They still had a fairly decent £7k to spend, but instead of knocking down walls, she stuck to the old House Doctor rules of neutralising, whitening and brightening up dark and dingy walls and exposed brickwork with a spot of paint and it made a huge difference!
  • Options
    AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,877
    Forum Member
    Me too, I also enjoy Location Location, in fact most programmes with the lovely Phil! :p It backfired on them a bit last week when one couple decided not to go ahead with the £78K spend on an upgrade. (The whole premise of the show!) :D So Kirsty was left to just do a spot of redecorating instead. They still had a fairly decent £7k to spend, but instead of knocking down walls, she stuck to the old House Doctor rules of neutralising, whitening and brightening up dark and dingy walls and exposed brickwork with a spot of paint and it made a huge difference!

House Doctor - I’d forgotten about that! Wasn’t it the one presented by the American woman with staring eyes who used to go on about the usefulness in interior design of “meeurrs” (mirrors)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AKFE wrote: »

House Doctor - I’d forgotten about that! Wasn’t it the one presented by the American woman with staring eyes who used to go on about the usefulness in interior design of “meeurrs” (mirrors)?

Anne Maurice :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

That's the girl! Thanks. I think there was a later series where people competed for the best interior design of a place? I can't remember the parameters.

Anyway, I do prefer LLL and LIOLI. I'm a bit addicted to the latter, in fact.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 03/02/19 - 15:02 #18
    It's ok though Alsop could do with giving blowing her own trumpet a rest and the recap after every commerical break is beyond tedious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's the girl! Thanks. I think there was a later series where people competed for the best interior design of a place? I can't remember the parameters.

Anyway, I do prefer LLL and LIOLI. I'm a bit addicted to the latter, in fact.

I'm a bit addicted to LLL. Love that programme. I've series linked it whenever its on. I think I've seen nearly all of them but the older ones are good as the prices are so low!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anne Maurice! She was great - a straight talking (unlike polite Phil) Californian who in the States was an interior designer and house stager and would declutter and give houses kerb appeal so that they'd sell. With a much more aggressive style, she'd just come straight out with it and tell someone their house was, small, awful, atrocious, dingy, or disgusting. :D Hard to believe it was back in the late 90's when her series started. I used to like Alistair too who she presented with and they had good chemistry and in many ways I think they paved the way for Phil and Kirsty!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Anne Maurice! She was great - a straight talking (unlike polite Phil) Californian who in the States was an interior designer and house stager and would declutter and give houses kerb appeal so that they'd sell. With a much more aggressive style, she'd just come straight out with it and tell someone their house was, small, awful, atrocious, dingy, or disgusting. :D Hard to believe it was back in the late 90's when her series started. I used to like Alistair too who she presented with and they had good chemistry and in many ways I think they paved the way for Phil and Kirsty!

They used to show a video cassette to the owners of what buyers actually thought of their places!!
  • Options
    Forum Member

It’s all coming back to me now! I had forgotten about Alistair Appleton, too. Very easy on the eye!

You are right about straight-talking Anne - I remember the looks she was given when she told someone their house reeked of dog!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They used to show a video cassette to the owners of what buyers actually thought of their places!!

Their reactions were brilliant and they were usually in complete denial! How could anyone not love a thousand creepy dolls on the shelves of the lounge?! :D
  • Options
    KarlyKarly Posts: 10,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alistair Appleton still presents Escape to the Country I think, or he did until recently. I've seen House Doctor repeated in the wee small hours not that long ago too. I used to love that show - some stick in the memory - a retired actress who had her entire house decorated pink, and a dark haired woman who had two poodles and fell out with Ann big time.
  • Options
    flyingvflyingv Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 03/02/19 - 20:00 #25

The lovely Phil Spencer did a very similar sounding programme (I've never watched House Doctor), called Secret Agent. He would go to people who were trying to sell but for whatever reason, their property was languishing with no viewings or offers. He would go round and give them his own version of an estate agent's particulars listing all the faults. They were usually pretty gobsmacked, but he would give them advice on how to improve the look of the place to increase the saleability, and then organise an open day for viewings. I think there were only one or two series of it. Like others on this thread, I love K&P's shows, and their chemistry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flyingv wrote: »

The lovely Phil Spencer did a very similar sounding programme (I've never watched House Doctor), called Secret Agent. He would go to people who were trying to sell but for whatever reason, their property was languishing with no viewings or offers. He would go round and give them his own version of an estate agent's particulars listing all the faults. They were usually pretty gobsmacked, but he would give them advice on how to improve the look of the place to increase the saleability, and then organise an open day for viewings. I think there were only one or two series of it. Like others on this thread, I love K&P's shows, and their chemistry.

Yes I remember that. Phil Spencer Secret Agent where he would hide behind walls to surprise people.

Love anything that either Phil or Kirsty do to be honest I like