Extremely strange DVD player problem. Please Look!!!

Right - When then dvd player starts up and it shows the dvd logo on the screen the picture is crisp and beautiful. :confused: !!! But when I play any dvd the film plays but it flashes from bright to dim every second. It may not sound like a lot but it's really annoying when your watching a film. Has anyone on here experienced this or even if you have any ideas on how to fix this please, please, please reply. Thanks.

±±±±±
NETGEM
±±±±±

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might be interferance from a nearby Scart Cable, I had the same problem where pictures from a Sky Box were ghosting onto my Dvd pictire it turned out it was caused by this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've just found out that it's macrovision copy protection - i use a tv vcr combi so it seems impossible to fix this
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should still be possible to buy a Macrovision defeat adaptor though.
  • phelingsphelings Posts: 3,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A direct connection from the dvd player to the tv without passing through anything else should give a correct display.
    Is the tv old?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 or 4 years old but it's a tv/vcr combi
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    look for your DVD player in this list

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

if the macrovision can be disabled on your particular DVD player, it'll most likely be listed on that site
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of the cheaper DVD/TVs route the SCART socket through the VCR. It tends to be the sets with only a single tuner -- all the input/tuner circuitry is done through the VCR module and not duplicated to save money, and what would have been the SCART output on the VCR is essentially hard-wired to the input of the TV section. As a result you have the same problem as passing a DVD player through some VCRs. These sets tend not to be able to process an RGB signal either.

Unless the DVD player is also old there are precious few that allow Macrovision disable.

This "feature" with these TV/VCRs is a nuisance, and the only remedy I've come across is, as I say, to purchase a Macrovision defeater, AKA copy-box. These are illegal now but are still available on ebay.

Of course you could always back the DVDs up and play the copies through the TV. These backups have no Macrovision protection and you therefore won't get the problem. I recommend using backups rather than originals anyway (keep the originals safely stored away), it's what I always do.

I think I have an old copy box lying around, which I will sell to you for £10 if you are interested.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks very much. Your advice is much appreciated.