Getting Vibe Optisound Subwoofer to connect to TV

I've got a Phillips flat screen and I bought a Vibe Optisound TV6 subwoofer, which has two inputs - an optical cable and red/white analogues. The TV doesn't have an optical output but it has an SPDIF output, which I connected and used a Coax Digital to Optical TOS converter to connect it to the woofer, but it doesn't work. Neither does connecting the analogue cables.

The only thing that makes it work is connecting the optical cable to the TIVO box, and that's no good as then it doesn't work for DVDs and its also slightly out of sync with the TV.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,460
    Forum Member
    Are you using Freeview on the TV?, as it's likely that you only get SPDIF out from Freeview.
  • Jmac-25Jmac-25 Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No its on Virgin Tivo.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Jmac-25 wrote: »
    The TV doesn't have an optical output but it has an SPDIF output, which I connected and used a Coax Digital to Optical TOS converter to connect it to the woofer, but it doesn't work. Neither does connecting the analogue cables
    1) Is the TOS converter powered? Is it showing as turned on?

2) Are you sure the optical and analogue connectors on the TV are outputs and not inputs? Model of TV would help.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,460
    Forum Member
    No its on Virgin Tivo.

That probably explains it then.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming the coaxial to optical converter is working properly...

I wonder if it could be like my LG telly.

I recently moved home and had to pack up all my AV kit and for one evening had to use the TV's built in speakers. And when I reassembled all the kit and tried it out I got noise from the TV speakers but nothing at all out of the optical out feeding my surround amp.

Took me a couple of minutes to twig that the telly only outputs digital audio if you explicitly select it in the menu. Which also turns off the TV speakers. And conversely turning the TV speakers back on turns off the optical out.

Maybe the Phillips is similar and can only output one of either speakers or digital at a time but not both together. Which of course is a bit of a bummer if you really do need to have both active at the same time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a Phillips DV3 HD Ready, 37 inch.

Coax convertor is powered fine.

There's nothing specifically marked 'audio out' but I'm assuming its the 2 red and white sockets next to the headphone socket? I've connected them to the woofer and can't get anything. There's a switch on the woofer marked 'digital or analogue' and I've tried switching it but nothing happens.

On the back there's the following sockets:

- DVI audio in
    - 2 HDMIs
    - SPDIF
    - CI (long, thin one)
    - Data
    - Antenna 75
    - Serv u
    - Serv c

The TV's sound menu has the following options:

- AVL (on or off)
    - Dolby Virtual (mono or spatial)
    - Equalizer
    - Balance
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you confirm that model number? Searching the Phillips website for "DV3" only brings up DVD players, no TVs. Are you perhaps mistaking the DVB logo (digital TV) for DV3?

Anyway I did find an image of the connections on a Phillips TV that resemble your description.

http://images.amazon.com/images/G/02/uk-electronics/shops/misc/philips/37PF5521Drear.jpg

If the panel with the headphone socket at the top is similar to your TV then the red and white sockets are Audio Inputs not Outputs. They are for the Composite Video or S-Video sockets below them.

If you can provide the actual model number of the TV that might help, if we can track down a manual for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah right - yes its DVB. That image is exactly right.

The model is 37PF5521D/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah right - yes its DVB. That image is exactly right.

The model is 37PF5521D/10

Found a manual online.

It says sweet FA about the SPDIF output apart from this
    SPDIF socket : to connect to an amplifier with coaxial digital input (only available in Digital Mode)

Which is hardly helpful. But I wonder if the bit in brackets means it only outputs any audio when watching Freeview via it's internal tuner. If you have it hooked up to an aerial then you could confirm that.

The only other option appears to be the SCART sockets which look to be wired for output. However the manual says sod all about what is actually output over SCART. It could be just from the built in tuner and not from any external source such as your Tivo box. A SCART to phono converter is fairly cheap so might be worth a punt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK will give it a go - thanks for your help
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And lo! There was bass. The scart/phono lead worked :) Thanks very much