"Not Scotland" - What are STV Playing At? (Part 2)

Comments

• kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor old STV - now even getting the blame for programmes they didn't make! That slow, dull programme was made by Granada - and at the time it was to me yet another typically slow plodding Granada programme.

You sure? According to Tom Weirs wiki page it states it was Scottish Television - not Granada http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Weir

Edit - books were published under Granada
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I always thought it was STV, but it had that tedious, plodding and parochial feel STV and Border were notorious for.
    Having lived in the Border region for 40 years, like STV, this station would quite happily show SNP conference reports over a good movie that everyone else in England was getting.

According to Tom's wiki page it was STV not Granada http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Weir it does help if people research - only thing in relation to Granada was the books were published by granada - type in google - weirs way granada it comes up.

You could say STV are political scoring but of course people out there will praise STV for doing it but yet if that was the BBC they be getting shot down for it (what a weird world we live in....)
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    However we are speaking about STV and this is now. God no more revivals no offence to David Hayman, are STV short on ideas seems so don't you think? Since we are on revivals how about they revive "pick a number" ???

Why does STV/ITV think revivals with work? I prefer programming being with original members - Catchphrase thats a laugh Mr Chips looks like Dusty Bin of 321 and the "catchphrases" they are more of a joke - just read up some on the Catchphrase thread - STV must think the viewers are that thick

Not forgetting the revived Thingummyjig (Scottish entertainment/country dancing) show from the 1970s/1980s - coming back later this year I believe. :(

If Weir's Way is making a comeback, wonder if some sadist at Pacific Quay is wanting to revive High Road. Also I do remember a typically tedious STV series from the seventies called Adam Smith, about a Presbyterian minister. Only STV could make such a slow, dull programme.
    However, I do blame ITV for killing off Taggart. The last series was the best one since the nineties, but was little watched and reducing the running time to 50 minutes, made some stories rushed.
    seiko456 wrote: »
    100% agreed it was back to where it was in the 80s and 90s at least its last series was one of the best. Of course ITV is also to blame for it going down hill in the first place. Its a shame there could not have been 2 hour long stories, or better still 3 parters!

Ironically, I never watched Taggart with McManus in it - enjoyed the series when Alex Norton starred. But the 50 min. shows were far too rushed, better the 2hr. (1 hr. 40 mins. after ads out) episodes IMO.

Alex Norton put it back on the map after a couple of dull years after Mark Mc Manus died. I think Taggart, which was one of the best detective series of all time, could have been saved if they want back to the eighties approach of three parters.
    Out of interest, what are Alex Norton and Blythe Duff, who will always be typecast as DS Reid, doing these days?

Norton has starred in Silent Witness and Shetland after a stint on Waterloo Road (according to Imdb), Duff less so on tv - seen on stage at the Citizens Theatre, Glasgow and set up her own production company in Scotland.
    Perhaps it was ITV's revenge during the fued they had.

:cool:
    STV is Border Television reincarnated, a parochial small channel that shows tedious programmes no one in the rest of Britain cares about. It must be very infuriating if they interrupt a popular ITV show with Scottish Passport.
    I've always found BBC Scotland more interesting. While STV was churning out Take The Valium( sorry High Road), they had Rab C Nesbitt and have a fine history in drama. However, STV, rather like Border were, has its loyal viewers who will watch even if they were showing people watching paint dry in Cumbernauld because it's local.
    While I accept and admire in some ways STV having a local identity, surely their local programmes belong after News at Ten and in daytime.

Got to agree with you on this - if the progs were high calibre dramas or productions fair enough, but they are cheap tat rubbish. :(

But that is also the problem STV and its "homegrown" shows ain't local .... The only thing local to me is my news what they put on is basically comes off from the Clyde, most of the time I get the impression that anything outwith Glasgow does not exist, I have not seen one programme STV make have a presenter from the STV North, as its programming comes mostly from the Clyde yet STV has a bigger upper hand to BBC Scotland! Yet it makes cuts to us (surprisingly)

STV programming would be better sorted out on where to position them properly, the amount of interruptions to shows is unbelivable - STV buy an ITV show ie Cornwall yet can't complete its run but give it one of their own it completes it run (how ironic) - maybe OFCOM are to blame? I don't know but its beyond pathetic after midnight just to go into closedown for Nightshift/screen in this day and age

But why do STV feel the need that the STV public want Scottish Passport on our screens or any of their "charity" shows on ... who decides this?? I rather they made a half assed attempt at making better programming and actually got their programmes out to other networks if they are that desperate for cash rather than keeping it "local" its a joke

:confused:
    STV has a Head of Drama ..... she must have a zero hours contract

:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So really in short STV are doing revivals to try and bring their original viewers back .... by chance will they go past 12am or even 1am with these new shows or all fitted in before midnight whilst another ITV programme is disrupted?? ... I'll state the obvious more interruptions are on the way...

I have to admit the irony of it all is STV are just reviving their own shows when they were under Scottish Television, where is Grampian TV in all this ... oh the usual forgotten about, seems tad obvious Grampian TV to them they rather keep in the dark whilst STV's own goes through revivals, Again us in old Grampian they could not give a toss about.

Their own revivals will backfire, if this thingummyjig is to return what music will they play? I can't see them playing Scottish Country Music/Dancing, yet if it was that important surely the programme would still be on the air??
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So really in short STV are doing revivals to try and bring their original viewers back .... by chance will they go past 12am or even 1am with these new shows or all fitted in before midnight whilst another ITV programme is disrupted?? ... I'll state the obvious more interruptions are on the way...

I have to admit the irony of it all is STV are just reviving their own shows when they were under Scottish Television, where is Grampian TV in all this ... oh the usual forgotten about, seems tad obvious Grampian TV to them they rather keep in the dark whilst STV's own goes through revivals, Again us in old Grampian they could not give a toss about.

Their own revivals will backfire, if this thingummyjig is to return what music will they play? I can't see them playing Scottish Country Music/Dancing, yet if it was that important surely the programme would still be on the air??
    Who really is going to watch this now? I've seen Jimmy Shand performances from the seventies and the studio audience were very much into pension age then. STV seem to be really clutching at straws now, the same would be if ITV started repeating Singalongamax.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who really is going to watch this now? I've seen Jimmy Shand performances from the seventies and the studio audience were very much into pension age then. STV seem to be really clutching at straws now, the same would be if ITV started repeating Singalongamax.

Have a look at this link:-

http://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/haddington/articles/2013/12/19/482781-thingummyjig-returns--in-haddington/

:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

STV are scraping barrels now, is this really STV of the future? Next High Road returns followed by The Steamie, STV have not moved forward with anything they are stuck in the past and as mentioned before surprisingly I see STV has not thought to revive a Grampian TV show but all that stuff is probably in the basement somewhere locked up whilst STV's archive gets a full run. STV may as well give themselves a clap in a good job into forgetting about us in Grampian well done!

I'll also add if STV cared about all those things back then why suddenly now? It'll be a trend and then it'll wear off - people will get that bored of it and will question why it really is on (yes it may bring back memories but really?) Reviving old shows is a bad idea, it will not be the same and knowing STV the set will look like something out of a Santa's Grotto or basically borrowed from the old set of "fun house"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »

Can I pitch STV an idea for a show? Pub Street hosted by Michelle - tours Glasgow pubs/restaurants and gives us her views (its like Come Dine but she is on the p..s!) Jesus on a bicycle STV is doomed!
  • seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it helps only ONE episode has been kept in the Archives, everything else has been sent in by viewers...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I pitch STV an idea for a show? Pub Street hosted by Michelle - tours Glasgow pubs/restaurants and gives us her views (its like Come Dine but she is on the p..s!) Jesus on a bicycle STV is doomed!

...Or "Come Swally Wae Me" - in which "oor Meechelle" tours famous Glasgow pubs sampling the lagers and ales of said establishments - she's on the swally on Sauchiehall Street! :D

...Or "Bernard's Bun Fight" - Senior Political correspondent Bernard Ponsonby hosts a live bun fight between 2 MSPs - no political debate, just a shouting match for 30 minutes. :blush:

...Or Batty's Batty Weather - Popular weatherman Sean Batty investigates freak weather in Scotland - a 6 part insight into our batty weather:- Episode 1 - Rain, 2 - Rain & Sleet, 3 - Rain, sleet & hail, 4 - Rain, sleet, hail & snow, 5 - Rain & wind, 6 - Rain & gale force 70mph winds... :cool: :D

If it helps only ONE episode has been kept in the Archives, everything else has been sent in by viewers...

Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really one?? ... what a shocker .... pity it can't be wiped .... anyone got a BETAMAX player?? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really one?? ... what a shocker .... pity it can't be wiped .... anyone got a BETAMAX player?? :D

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...Or "Come Swally Wae Me" - in which "oor Meechelle" tours famous Glasgow pubs sampling the lagers and ales of said establishments - she's on the swally on Sauchiehall Street! :D

...Or "Bernard's Bun Fight" - Senior Political correspondent Bernard Ponsonby hosts a live bun fight between 2 MSPs - no political debate, just a shouting match for 30 minutes. :blush:

...Or Batty's Batty Weather - Popular weatherman Sean Batty investigates freak weather in Scotland - a 6 part insight into our batty weather:- Episode 1 - Rain, 2 - Rain & Sleet, 3 - Rain, sleet & hail, 4 - Rain, sleet, hail & snow, 5 - Rain & wind, 6 - Rain & gale force 70mph winds... :cool: :D

LOL at #1 she tackles Sauchiehall St as well as goes up Hope St she meets the local "drunks" CCTV is the only camera crew she has got! ... #2 no ask Rona and her "viewers can't hear you" #3 don't you recall his "weatherwatch" show??

#4 Fred McAulay/John McKay tackle Blair Drummond Safari Park - what will they discover - will John be able to tame a tiger with a "bone" (aka the olympic torch for Scotland) will Fred get lost on his travels?? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL at #1 she tackles Sauchiehall St as well as goes up Hope St she meets the local "drunks" CCTV is the only camera crew she has got! ...

:D LOL

#2 no ask Rona and her "viewers can't hear you"

:D Sadly for STV = :blush::(

#3 don't you recall his "weatherwatch" show??

Aye - a behemoth in the ratings! Not. :o ;-) :D

#4 Fred McAulay/John McKay tackle Blair Drummond Safari Park - what will they discover - will John be able to tame a tiger with a "bone" (aka the olympic torch for Scotland) will Fred get lost on his travels?? :p

LOL :D
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Tom's wiki page it was STV not Granada http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Weir it does help if people research - only thing in relation to Granada was the books were published by granada - type in google - weirs way granada it comes up.

It helps if people read posts properly. The slow, dull programme that Glenn A was referring to was Adam Smith- and that was definitely made by Granada.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It helps if people read posts properly. The slow, dull programme that Glenn A was referring to was Adam Smith- and that was definitely made by Granada.

However you did not point that out correctly - he also did mention Weirs Way and I was correcting you on that one. Oh and by the way if you read my point I said his books were published by Granada.

I do read posts properly as well as research - you may have been better explaining which one you were going for then as I presumed you meant Weirs Way
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear STV, will you PLEASE drop that bloody awful Soapbox Scots rubbish, particularly the sausage one, utterly pointless. A bit like STV itself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'll add this to the fire - since STV are that keen on reviving its own shows how about helping out the Gaelic viewers? They did run a show called "speaking our language" which is now repeated on BBC Alba, if this channel is so keen on reviving then why not do show catering to Gaelic viewers rather than having BBC Alba doing it all - just a thought.....but then again I highly doubt it would happen since output is from Clyde and anything outwith area is less thought of unless its a show to do about with weather/looking from above or basically old history....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Dear STV, will you PLEASE drop that bloody awful Soapbox Scots rubbish, particularly the sausage one, utterly pointless. A bit like STV itself.

Can't stand STV's 60 second slots they are the biggest waste of space just like they run their "passport shorts", yet go on ITV there is nothing like that at all (again why does STV do these stupid things?)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STV OPT OUTs for the week ahead:-

SATURDAY 19TH:-
    THROUGH THE KEYHOLE (3 of 6), NIGHTSHIFT on STV, Through The Keyhole (4 of 6)/Gambling/Dinner Date Australia/Nightscreen on ITV.

EASTER SUNDAY:-
    CORNWALL WITH CAROLINE QUENTIN :o:confused::confused::confused:, ANIMAL 999 (rpt) on STV morning, Dickinson's Real Deal on ITV.
    LET'S FIND SCOTLAND'S REAL HEROES (rpt) on STV lunchtime, Unforgettable Yootha Joyce on ITV.
    WOMEN BEHIND BARS, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Rugby Union/The Store/Jeremy Kyle USA/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

EASTER MONDAY:-
    THE LIE 8pm STV, I Never Knew That on ITV.
    I NEVER KNEW THAT, CROCODILE HUNTER DIARIES, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Women Behind Bars/Gambling/Jeremy Kyle USA/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

TUE. 22ND:-
    SCOTLAND TONIGHT, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Ray Mears/Gambling/Loose Women/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

WED. 23RD:-
    SCOTLAND TONIGHT, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Baboons/Gambling/Jeremy Kyle USA/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

THUR. 24TH:-
    SCOTLAND TONIGHT, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Harbour Lives/Gambling/Tonight/NIghtscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

FRI. 25TH:-
    ANIMAL 999 (3 of 6) 8pm STV, Weekend Escapes on ITV.
    WEEKEND ESCAPES, FILM - BOURNE SUPREMACY, NIGHTSHIFT on STV, Film - Bourne Ultimatum/Gambling/Jeremy Kyle USA/Nightscreen on ITV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does STV still outrate BBC Scotland, as I did read on here a few years ago, it was more popular?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    STV OPT OUTs for the week ahead:-

SATURDAY 19TH:-
    THROUGH THE KEYHOLE (3 of 6), NIGHTSHIFT on STV, Through The Keyhole (4 of 6)/Gambling/Dinner Date Australia/Nightscreen on ITV.

EASTER SUNDAY:-
    CORNWALL WITH CAROLINE QUENTIN :o:confused::confused::confused:, ANIMAL 999 (rpt) on STV morning, Dickinson's Real Deal on ITV.
    LET'S FIND SCOTLAND'S REAL HEROES (rpt) on STV lunchtime, Unforgettable Yootha Joyce on ITV.
    WOMEN BEHIND BARS, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Rugby Union/The Store/Jeremy Kyle USA/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

EASTER MONDAY:-
    THE LIE 8pm STV, I Never Knew That on ITV.
    I NEVER KNEW THAT, CROCODILE HUNTER DIARIES, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Women Behind Bars/Gambling/Jeremy Kyle USA/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

TUE. 22ND:-
    SCOTLAND TONIGHT, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Ray Mears/Gambling/Loose Women/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

WED. 23RD:-
    SCOTLAND TONIGHT, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Baboons/Gambling/Jeremy Kyle USA/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

THUR. 24TH:-
    SCOTLAND TONIGHT, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Harbour Lives/Gambling/Tonight/NIghtscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

FRI. 25TH:-
    ANIMAL 999 (3 of 6) 8pm STV, Weekend Escapes on ITV.
    WEEKEND ESCAPES, FILM - BOURNE SUPREMACY, NIGHTSHIFT on STV, Film - Bourne Ultimatum/Gambling/Jeremy Kyle USA/Nightscreen on ITV.

Cornwall returns oh jolly good - where did we leave off from dear STV?? - STV must be on a tight budget, lack in films don't they? But as long as they close for Nightshift after midnight they are happy .... STV aint moving forwards its going backwards and pretty fast...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cornwall returns oh jolly good - where did we leave off from dear STV?? - STV must be on a tight budget, lack in films don't they? But as long as they close for Nightshift after midnight they are happy .... STV aint moving forwards its going backwards and pretty fast...

If you see STV vans around Loch Lomond, start panicking, it's probably a revival of Take the High Road.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you see STV vans around Loch Lomond, start panicking, it's probably a revival of Take the High Road.

:o - STV's version of "Shetland" LOL, next they'll rip off 3 men on a boat but have Scottish "stars" on a boat, better placing them to live on the mean street of ...... Aberdeen for a week :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o - STV's version of "Shetland" LOL, next they'll rip off 3 men on a boat but have Scottish "stars" on a boat, better placing them to live on the mean street of ...... Aberdeen for a week :D

Or do a remake of Para Handy filmed in a swimming pool in Glasgow.