skyrim dawnguard.

2»

Comments

• darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    I swear it's impossible to keep any topic on-topic on this forum, instead of nit-picking with one another:rolleyes:
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Conroy wrote: »
    It's good for PC and works quite favourably for the 360 but Epic haven't done much to tailor the engine to take advantage of the PS3. As I mentioned earlier, they only added MLAA support to the engine a few months ago yet UE3 games were released with FXAA in the first 6 months of 2011 so support was added quite possibly back in 2010.

There are still texture streaming issues with the engine (evident on both PS3 and 360), although some developers handle it better than others. I think one of the major problems is that Epic themselves have only developed one game on the PS3 this generation (UT3) and it doesn't look like they will be developing another and I'm not sure what direct impact People Can Fly have with the engine.

UT3 was great on PS3, it looked and played wonderfully, I had a lot of fun with that game. But again you can't fully blame developers for the lack of parity with UE3 on PS3. MS reached out to developers when designing the 360 (in particular Epic Games) to make sure they were happy working with it, something Sony didn't do but should of done and instead made a horribly complicated design with the Cell and RAM issue and just expected developers to get on with it. That's Epic's fault? or any developers fault? I think it only shows how versatile the UE3 is with how good some games look on PS3, while they may be inferior to 360 they still look very nice in most cases (even unnoticeable to some gamers with an untrained eye)

In terms of UE3 graphics; Bioshock, Bulletstorm, Mirror's Edge and Gears are probably my favourites, Gears 3 is by far the most impressive use of the engine I've seen to date, will be interesting to see if it can be improved upon with Judgment. I never was a fan of the Batman AA/AC games in terms of graphics, both looks very plain/dull to me. The latest Transformers FOC is also very good looking despite being sub-HD, there an almost insane amount of on-screen detail at points.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    something Sony didn't do but should of done

Actually Sony did, they tailored for Hideo Kojima back before MGS4 went ahead so he could make sure Sony's next console had enough power for his "vision".

2D I know you don't see eye to eye Sony/PlayStation but please make sure your facts are right, you're usually so good at this with the Xbox 360.

edit: And as for the comments on the Cell, weird how it's the one thing still being cracked by First Party Devs to get the graphics boost, offloading AA and post filtering effects onto the Cell has done wonders on games like God of War, Uncharted, etc. Yeah, Cell is complicated but just like the PS1 and PS2, when cracked and worked properly, the hardware is made to be damn good.

Some Japanese work ethic really, if something is worth it, work at it and figure it out, whilst it's different in the west.
    Forum Member
    That's not what I meant. It's not enough to build a console just to make sure it was capable of Hideo Kojima's vision for the next installment of MGS. I meant to communicate with developers who would lease their middleware engines out for multiplatform use, especially since Sony themselves knew their tech was rather obscure.

I never insinuated that the Cell or the PS3 is not powerful, please don't be so delicate, I already said in this very thread that it's powerful in the right hands, it goes without saying. Your comments on the cultural difference between Japanese and Western developers work ethic is ridiculous.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your comments on the cultural difference between Japanese and Western developers work ethic is ridiculous.

I have to agree since we have produced amongst the best engineers and scientists in the world...
    Forum Member
    Not saying we're all lazy in the west, far from it, but Japan has a certain sense of loyalty to stick with something, ...mainly other Japanese companies, where as here, we see it more as "Why work hard on A when we can do it easier on B? Let's go for B".

You talk about communication, of course Microsoft, a Western Company, is going to get that info a lot quicker from developers in the West as opposed to the East, many East companies don't rely on using other peoples engines and still create In-House engines for projects, where as here in the west, as pointed out, hell, many developers are happy to just grab an Unreal Licence and go from there.

Which is not exactly a bad thing, at least the Unreal Engine in its current state is working fine on the PS3, the main difference between the 360 projects and PS3 projects these days is how AA is applied and a few framerate drops here and there, but that's good, it took them a while, but they invested in it and now most multi platform games using Unreal should technically not be that different at all.

But yeah, Bethesda don't use Unreal, so I don't know why we're talking about that. Fact is, PS3 WAS difficult to program for, seeing all these comments and complaints again reminds me of 2006, it was acceptable then, the PS3 had just come out and it was a mind **** for dev teams here in the West. But now, it's 2012, SIX YEARS LATER, if you're a major video game developer and STILL haven't found your own work arounds on the PS3, then you're just not good at your job, simple as that, and if the best you can do is to complain that it's too difficult, whilst other developers just get on with it, then it really doesn't make you look good. You've had Six Years at this point working with the hardware, surely there's something your team has found to use, if not, then they need to hire a team who can work around these problems and also hire more testers to, another recurring problem at Bethesda!
    Forum Member
    Fail to see what you're talking about when in terms of the PS3 it's been Western developers who have pushed the most out of the system.

Skyrim is one of the best looking and most technically advanced games this generation and it's easily the best looking open world game, it's a stunning achievement on consoles. With the inefficiency of the PS3 it's no surprise Bethesda has had to nip and tuck a few things and had technical issues getting the game running, but I still personally think they done a great job regardless and don't deserve the harsh criticism they are currently receiving, and that's really all I wanted to say on the matter from the beginning.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Japanese gaming is a mess, the last thing Western Devs (who have far surpassed most Japanese ones) need to do is take on Japanese methods. The Japanese games industry has had a huge nosedive in quality control and market share in the last 10 years, and is a shadow of what it once was. Not all Japanese devs naturally, but many of them.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fail to see what you're talking about when in terms of the PS3 it's been Western developers who have pushed the most out of the system.

Skyrim is one of the best looking and most technically advanced games this generation and it's easily the best looking open world game, it's a stunning achievement on consoles. With the inefficiency of the PS3 it's no surprise Bethesda has had to nip and tuck a few things and had technical issues getting the game running, but I still personally think they done a great job regardless and don't deserve the harsh criticism they are currently receiving, and that's really all I wanted to say on the matter from the beginning.

Best looking and technically advanced how exactly?

Graphics are great for size of the game but average compared to Gears, God Of War, Uncharted, Batman etc.

Gameplay itself is painfully simple, there's simply a lot of it. Bashing R1 wins most fights past level 35.
    Forum Member
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Best looking and technically advanced how exactly?

Graphics are great for size of the game but average compared to Gears, God Of War, Uncharted, Batman etc.

Gameplay itself is painfully simple, there's simply a lot of it. Bashing R1 wins most fights past level 35.

Best looking in the sense that when I play it I am completely amazed that my 360 is running it, it has so much detail and all of it runs so smoothly, to me it feels like one of the smoothest 30fps games I've played. I think the level of detail and clarity of the graphics easily far surpass Batman and while it doesn't share some of the fantastic special effects of the other games it's not linear or on rails and does many things they do not. The sense of scale is awe inspiring. Graphically I would put it in my top 3 of any console game this gen (open world or not), but everyone is different.

Gameplay is not like that for me, but then my character is an Archer and a Mage (also a vampire) plus I have the combat set to hard. With the latest patches the feel of combat is much nicer and the slow motion cinematic camera when you take something out from a distance is very fun. Crossbows are great too, especially with explosive bolts.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UE3 is one of the best engines this gen. Its shocking how many great games it's powered and how versatile the engine is.

IMHO UE3 engine is rubbish because its overused. The sad thing is so many great games have used the engine this generation. UE3 gives games a generic feel to them, I prefer when games developers make their own engine for a game, you normally get a much more unique feel to the game.

I played Batman AC the other week and couldn't help but feel I had been there before as parts felt reminiscent to Bioshock and Enslave with a dabble of Mirrors Edge.
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    IMHO UE3 engine is rubbish because its overused. The sad thing is so many great games have used the engine this generation. UE3 gives games a generic feel to them, I prefer when games developers make their own engine for a game, you normally get a much more unique feel to the game.

I played Batman AC the other week and couldn't help but feel I had been there before as parts felt reminiscent to Bioshock and Enslave with a dabble of Mirrors Edge.

Each to their own, Enslaved was an ugly game but I fail to see how you felt parts of Batman AC were reminiscent of Bioshock or Mirrors Edge as they don't look alike to me. When you look at other UE3 games such as Gears War 3, Mass Effect, Borderlands 1/2, Deadlight, Shadows of the Damned, Transformers FOC, Alice Madness Returns and Lollipop Chainsaw they all look unique from one another to my eyes and I wouldn't know there were all running on UE3 unless I was told.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bethesda have done an interview and were asked about next generation systems.

I don’t think the current generation of consoles are holding us back. There is still plenty that we are able to do visually, technically and from a story-telling standpoint.

So hardware isn't holding them back its just their poor lazy programming on certain systems rather than hardware problems :p:D

It also seems they don't want to move to the next generation because new hardware can be a bit tricky.

Source
    I wouldn't know there were all running on UE3 unless I was told.

More than 50% of the time I can tell a UE3 game without been told.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    More than 50% of the time I can tell a UE3 game without been told.
    Usually due to one of the several UE3 intro movies that plays at the beginning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conroy wrote: »
    Usually due to one of the several UE3 intro movies that plays at the beginning.

:D:D

Well der, Obviously I meant jumping straight into gameplay. If I see the intro videos I can tell if a game is using UE3 100% of the time :p
    Forum Member
    There's always an easy giveaway on the Unreal 3 Engine, look for Wet Rocks/tiles, no matter what the game, everyone seems to gloss over this effect so it looks the same in EVERY Unreal Game. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At last, 50% off all the dlc when released dead happy about this.
    http://m.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2013/01/18/all-skyrim-dlc-finally-on-ps3-next-month
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheG-Man wrote: »
    At last, 50% off all the dlc when released dead happy about this.
    http://m.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2013/01/18/all-skyrim-dlc-finally-on-ps3-next-month

About bloody time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know how much these are on xbox live, would be nice to work out how much they will be each. Probably wont bother with Hearthfire and just go with Dragonborn and Dawnguard
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, so with the discount roughly £6 each or so........happy days.