60 minute anniversary special confirmed, anniversary plans revealed

Comments

• DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    No season 8 then?
    Strictly speaking, Season 8 already happened. It was first broadcast back in May 1971. New Doctor Who series 8
    on the other hand, as already pointed out earlier is probably unlikely to be broadcast until sometime next year.
  • snakecharmer37snakecharmer37 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Reading that list from the picture. It doesn't exactly fill me with excitement. Best I can hope for, is that the Anniversary Special itself does not disappoint. Personally, I am not one for documentaries that tell us what we already know about the programme. Or banging on some old episodes of Doctor Who, which most have got on DVD anyway. Some people have added we have a Pointless special, well whoopdedo :yawn: If it's anything like the Weakest Link one they did, I think I will pass.
    No, what interests me and I am sure others, is the new episodes, like the rest of series seven for example, and the biggie.
    Of course if by chance they have found some missing episodes and put them on, then fair enough. But as for all the cheap n nasty special quiz shows etc. No thanks, not for me.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    Strictly speaking, Season 8 already happened. It was first broadcast back in May 1971. New Doctor Who series 8
    on the other hand, as already pointed out earlier is probably unlikely to be broadcast until sometime next year.

What a happy little pedantic you are! :)
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    Airborae wrote: »
    What a happy little pedantic you are! :)

Don't you mean pedant? :D
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Lulz77 wrote: »
    And Totally Doctor Who (including The Infinite Quest) and Dreamland.

In 2007, we had 14 episodes of Doctor Who, a full series of SJA, a full series of Torchwood and a full series of Totally Doctor Who (and with it, The Infinite Quest).

Moffat's plan for 2023? A gap year.

*Moff voice*: "Bah, making lot's of the show's been done before! Look at the RTD era! We're going to do something completely and utterly original, something that's NEVER been done before (apart from that time they did it in the 90s), make as little of it, as is humanly possible"
  • nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was involved in a few 'heated' debates several weeks ago regarding series 8. There were a hell of a lot of people on here who were convinced that series 8 would 'magically' appear in late 2013. They were unable to hear reason due to their heads been well and truly stuck in the sand.

There is no series 8 to be aired in 2013!

And now, to top it all off, the anniversary special is only going to be 60mins long. So the big 50th anniversary gets less screen time than Tennant's regeneration send off.

Even worse, there is still no confirmation that there will even be a Christmas special. Think about it. Over the two years of 2012 and 2013 they have saved a lot of money by vastly reducing the amount of DW episodes.

Normal year - 13 episodes + 2 Christmas specials

2012 - 5 episodes + 1 Christmas special
    2013 - 8 episodes + 1 anniversary special

With the anniversary special airing late November I am beginning to worry that a Christmas special will not be commissioned.

I am not interested in DW Pointless or K9 on Astronomy programmes etc. Doctor Who is a television series and I am interested in episodes of that series.

I am beginning to believe that the big 50th year will actually not be very special at all.

There will not be a multi-Doctor special. The special will not contain much at all. How can Moffat possibly cram 11 Doctors and enough relevant history into a mere 60 mins? Answer, he can't, so he won't. The anniversary special will just be another basic episode.

"More DW than ever before", big bloody lie.

"Anniversary will be epic/awsome", not in 60 mins it won't.

"Two years of continuous shooting", they haven't been shooting for 2 months and won't be until April (for the special).

The only element of hope I have is that they are lying and the special will be longer than 60 mins and they are secretly planning the Christmas special as well. But I won't hold my breath.

And for those that are bound to come up and say such inane things as, "you should be grateful for any episodes," or, "any number of episodes is better than none", remember this is the big 50th anniversary year. This is the year the BBC should be demonstrating their belief in and dedication to the series
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope it will be a good one. Later in the year we will get more information maybe even a few pictures. Should do a christmas special too.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Nyder... the information that leaked has come from BBC Worldwide, who know little of scheduling and commissioning, and are only interested in episodes that they can produce merchandise from, hence the "203... will include" line on the leaflet. BBC Worldwide isnt privvy to the BBCs plans, but is using what info they have been given.

So I am adhering to Moffats advice from last summer. "be patient" -- I am being patient, and await a press release from the BBC to confirm 100% what they plan, cosat this point it is fair to say that it is unlikely BBC Worldwide have the full picture. Personally I expect a christmas special, it would not make sense to do without one. Anything extra is a bonus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come on Davros, we all know that there is no series 8 for 2013. Plus it states that the anniversary special is only 60 minutes. They may not know everything but they were given that information. Can anyone realistically believe they can do a special episode of DW to celebrate 50 years and do it justice in a 60 minute slot.

As I said, I am still hopeful for a Christmas special. But aside from that possiblility I think that's the lot.

People can choose to believe anything they like. They can even choose to believe in the tooth fairy, but it doesn't make it real.

People can also hope for anything they like. People can hope that England will win the next world cup, but that only leads to disappointment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nyder wrote: »
    I was involved in a few 'heated' debates several weeks ago regarding series 8. There were a hell of a lot of people on here who were convinced that series 8 would 'magically' appear in late 2013. They were unable to hear reason due to their heads been well and truly stuck in the sand.

And now, to top it all off, the anniversary special is only going to be 60mins long. So the big 50th anniversary gets less screen time than Tennant's regeneration send off.

Even worse, there is still no confirmation that there will even be a Christmas special. Think about it. Over the two years of 2012 and 2013 they have saved a lot of money by vastly reducing the amount of DW episodes.

With the anniversary special airing late November I am beginning to worry that a Christmas special will not be commissioned.

I am not interested in DW Pointless or K9 on Astronomy programmes etc. Doctor Who is a television series and I am interested in episodes of that series.

I am beginning to believe that the big 50th year will actually not be very special at all.

There will not be a multi-Doctor special. The special will not contain much at all. How can Moffat possibly cram 11 Doctors and enough relevant history into a mere 60 mins? Answer, he can't, so he won't. The anniversary special will just be another basic episode.

"Two years of continuous shooting", they haven't been shooting for 2 months and won't be until April (for the special).

The only element of hope I have is that they are lying and the special will be longer than 60 mins and they are secretly planning the Christmas special as well. But I won't hold my breath.

And for those that are bound to come up and say such inane things as, "you should be grateful for any episodes," or, "any number of episodes is better than none", remember this is the big 50th anniversary year. This is the year the BBC should be demonstrating their belief in and dedication to the series

This.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Come on Davros, we all know that there is no series 8 for 2013. Plus it states that the anniversary special is only 60 minutes. They may not know everything but they were given that information. Can anyone realistically believe they can do a special episode of DW to celebrate 50 years and do it justice in a 60 minute slot.

As I said, I am still hopeful for a Christmas special. But aside from that possiblility I think that's the lot.

People can choose to believe anything they like. They can even choose to believe in the tooth fairy, but it doesn't make it real.

People can also hope for anything they like. People can hope that England will win the next world cup, but that only leads to disappointment.

I didn't mean to imply I am hoping for series 8 this year, far from it. I hope series 8 starts filming late this year or early next year and that we get it ASAP.

But the fact remains that BBC Worldwide do not have all the facts.

The BBC and BBC Worldwide are 2 seperate entities. The BBC commissions episodes etc. BBC Worldwide attempt to make a profit from them. So if anyone holds all the info right now, its the BBC, not BBC Worldwide.

Also Cameron from Blogtor Who has hinted that we will be getting some massive news at some point. Nothing to do with spoilers though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cannot wait until ALL is official :) the Beeb will confirm during Series 7.2 or after it has aired in May to officially announce everything for November :) Definitely...personally i cannot wait to see and hear what they do....its only January after all....two months until Who is back on our screens and then we will see what is confirmed. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people earlier were getting the impression that 'no series 8 for 2013' meant no series 8 full stop. I agree with you, Davros, that we will have series 8 in 2014 (I just hope it's a full 13 episode run).

BBC Worldwide may not have all the facts, but what they have are facts. Therefore, fact - the anniversary special is only 60 minutes long.

As for a massive announcement. The 'silly' Nyder inside me is still hoping it will be the suprise announcement that they have discovered the full 'Power of the Daleks' and will be releasing it on DVD in November. Of course I'm being very silly and I should take my own advice. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until an official announcement is made I'm not believing anything anyone from here, Moff or anywhere else.

For sanities sake I suggest everyone does the same.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,924
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    So, officially, series 7.2 begins 30th March. Can't wait. :)
    Easter Saturday, what a surprise!
    :D
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moffat's plan for 2023? A gap year.
    Hey if Moff is making DW for the next 10 years he will have earned a gap year in 2023 ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Yeah, I would have thought that would be 90 mins as rumours had suggested, maybe Moffat changed his mind once he started writing it and decided he could fit everything he wanted into 60 mins.

Still should be other stuff on TV though that may just be the things like the Pointless DW special.

11 x 25 episodes for Doctor Who Revisited is odd, are they just showing one episode per Doctor (half an episode for the later ones).

Or are these actual programmes looking at each Doctor.

Edit
    Actually could these Doctor Who Revisited 25 min programmes actually be new episodes? It has been sugested before that having short minisodes of previous Doctors would be better than trying to fit them all into one Special.

Looks like they will be losing a viewer for the special then if we get no Tom baker interacting with Smith,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »

Aren't we usually waiting until a couple of weeks before transmission before confirmation? I seem to remember last year everyone thought Series 7 would start on August Bank Holiday until an announcement very close to the time.

Unusually early announcement but very pleased to hear so! Wasnt the same last year with no Who at Easter! Personally I think spring/summer suits te show wonderfully these days. Just as many people grew up associating the show with dark nights and winter, today's kids have grown up associating it with the start of summer.

Infact its not just the kids. Last year, I went to cancel my DWM reservation at my local newsagents. The owner, who watches regularly, said "I'm surprised you want to cancel; its back on this weekend isn't it?"

Easter Weekend is the perfect premiere for each series and the public began to associate Easter Weekend with Doctor Who. There was no reason for the shop owner to presume the show was back as there had been no promotion but he just assumed as it was Easter, the show would be back.

Fingers crossed Series 8 will be a straight RTD style run from Easter to Summer in 2014. Will be the first time since 2010.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Wow, I'm quite shocked to see BBC One announcing a start date two months ahead of time.

Assuming the US start date is the same, I probably could have made an educated guess that March 30 was the start date a month ago.

My guess is that BBC One chose Easter Saturday back in December and informed BBC America of this start date before Christmas. During one of the commercial breaks for The Snowmen on Christmas night, BBC America aired the first full teaser for its new sci-fi show Orphan Black, and gave a premiere date of March 30 (at 9pm).

At the time, I wondered what would happen when Doctor Who started sometime in April (Who usually airs at 9pm, so I figured Orphan Black would move to 10pm after a few weeks). Now seeing Who with a March 30 start date, this makes perfect sense, as BBC America will most likely move Who, its highest-rated series ever, up to 8pm to serve as a lead-in for Orphan Black.

Can't wait for March 30!
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    BBC Worldwide may not have all the facts, but what they have are facts. Therefore, fact - the anniversary special is only 60 minutes long.

Just one qualifyer to this, though. The special hasn't been filmed yet, let alone edited. So it may be a fact that BBC Worldwide were told it has been slated for a sixty minute slot. But the final length of the locked episode isn't yet a fact. There's still room for this to change between now and broadcast. If the story ends up justifying longer we could still see more minutes. (But probably not more episodes.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been reading the comments from both sides of this discussion and I don't think the problem is that we are getting a lot fewer episodes than we wanted.
    The problem seems to be that the showrunner promised so much more than we seem to be getting. With respect to the Beeb, fans don't really want to see Dr Who Pointless, Mastermind strictly etc
    What they want is episodes of their favourite show!
    I still cling to the hope that we will get more Who episodes than we've heard about, but I have an uneasy feeling that what we've heard about is our lot.
    Pretty disappointing if true...:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    Just one qualifyer to this, though. The special hasn't been filmed yet, let alone edited. So it may be a fact that BBC Worldwide were told it has been slated for a sixty minute slot. But the final length of the locked episode isn't yet a fact. There's still room for this to change between now and broadcast. If the story ends up justifying longer we could still see more minutes. (But probably not more episodes.)

Indeed. Moffat's son recently uploaded an interview with Steven to YouTube and he mentioned that he is currently writing the special right now. This was only a couple of weeks ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is one of the things I really hate about forums: when people post things as fact in a smug way

You cannot possibly write things like this and KNOW for a FACT that what you are saying is true.

No wonder people were arguing against you. Seems like a one-man campaign to slate the BBC and Moffat by an angry man who wants to say "I WAS RIGHT!"

You don't love Doctor Who. You love the idea of being right.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Hey if Moff is making DW for the next 10 years he will have earned a gap year in 2023 ;)

Not at his current output rate.