Options

Lupita Nyong'o the Kenyan Goddess

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She might be flavour of the month, but she's hardly an 'it girl'. She's a highly credible actress. It girls are talentless numpties like Paris Hilton, Victoria Hervey, Tara Palmer Tomkinson et al, who are famous simply by virtue of being rich and well connected.

I only remembered she was an actress after my original reply - so the OP is doing her a big disservice by calling her an "it" girl.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It-girl is probably not the best word to describe Lupita but she's such a hot property at the minute.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MissLola wrote: »
    It-girl is probably not the best word to describe Lupita but she's such a hot property at the minute.

I know what you mean now. :) I was just confused at first as her name isn't instantly recognisable to me.
  • Options
    Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Because women usually attribute "stunning" to really ordinary looking women to make themselves feel better. If an average girl like Lupita can be considered beautiful so can they.

I find Jennifer Garner quite average in the looks department. On the other hand, I find Charlize Theron, Natalie Portman and Keira Knightly, absolutely drop dead gorgeous.

What does that make me then?
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is the IT girl at Hollywood at the moment. She's everywhere and on everyone's mouth in the media.
    Last year, it was J-Law (Jennifer Lawrence) , this year it's Lupita :) and I'm very happy for all the success and recognition that she's getting :cool::).
    Next year, it will be someone else but right now it's her time.

I need the Jared/Lupita rumours to be true :p:kitty:.
    2 of my favorite celebrities together :o??? That would be amazing :D:) !!!
  • Options
    TbellTbell Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Because women usually attribute "stunning" to really ordinary looking women to make themselves feel better. If an average girl like Lupita can be considered beautiful so can they.

Not a big fan of women generally then, since you have such a high opinion of them?

A lot of men seem to take an unreasonable dislike to good looking talented male celebs but heap praise on less attractive ones.

Would that be for the same reason? Or is that as ridiculous and insulting a generalisation as you've just made?
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She looks a lot younger than 30:o
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Stunning" is in the eye of the beholder, male or female.
    What a disgustingly sexist post.

Woah, calm down. No sexism at all. I'm a woman and it's something I've noticed about other women. Men don't say a man is good looking when he clearly isn't, women do that. The same way they say that a size 14 woman who clearly looks size 14 looks like a size 10 when she clearly doesn't, it's just because they're size 14 that they're saying that.
    I find Jennifer Garner quite average in the looks department. On the other hand, I find Charlize Theron, Natalie Portman and Keira Knightly, absolutely drop dead gorgeous.
    What does that make me then?

Doesn't say anything. But to put Lupita in the same league as them IMO is disingenuous.
    Not a big fan of women generally then, since you have such a high opinion of them? A lot of men seem to take an unreasonable dislike to good looking talented male celebs but heap praise on less attractive ones. Would that be for the same reason? Or is that as ridiculous and insulting a generalisation as you've just made?

The analogy you've used is inappropriate. You're talking about attributing talent to people who look a certain way, I'm talking about attributing beauty to people who aren't actually beautiful. Men don't like good looking male celebrities because they think it makes them appear gay to admit they admire a talented male celeb when he's considered a heart throb. No man would ever admit he likes Robert Pattinson, for instance, because they don't want to be called gay. (Note: I don't find Pattinson attractive but many women do)

Lupita isn't a recognised sex symbol by either the media or the general public so it just seems over-the-top to call her "stunning".
  • Options
    BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woah, calm down. No sexism at all. I'm a woman and it's something I've noticed about other women. Men don't say a man is good looking when he clearly isn't, women do that. The same way they say that a size 14 woman who clearly looks size 14 looks like a size 10 when she clearly doesn't, it's just because they're size 14 that they're saying that.

But you've described Cheryl Cole and Jennifer Garner as stunning! Which I find hilarious since neither one imo remotely comes near that. So what does that say about you?

I wouldn't describe Lupita as stunning, as it happens, but she is lovely and has looked very beautfiul on her red carpet outings over the awards season with her understated and very simple, uncluttered style.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's just proof of beauty being subjective - describing someone like Lupita as "average, simple" looking and then Jennifer Garner as "stunning" is completely the wrong way round, to me personally.

Jennifer Garner is the very definition of average. There is nothing remotely interesting about her. Looks or personality.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    Jennifer Garner is the very definition of average. There is nothing remotely interesting about her. Looks or personality.

Really?
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She's certainly beautiful, but not "stunning". The two words mean different things to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes really. She's very plain. She doesn't have very striking features and if she weren't famous, shed be very forgettable. Pilots has a face that demands attention. I don't think she is stunning per se, but I do think she is very beautiful. Jennifer Garner is just pretty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe some women do indeed do this, but to assume it's a thing across the board with females IS sexist in my humble opinion. We may have to respectfully agree to disagree. :)
  • Options
    JigglyBallJigglyBall Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she's extremely overrated in every way. I also think many of those who claim to 'love' her are simply jumping on the bandwagon. Once the fuss dies down, I can see her slowly fading back into obscurity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah right..... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JigglyBall wrote: »
    I think she's extremely overrated in every way. I also think many of those who claim to 'love' her are simply jumping on the bandwagon. Once the fuss dies down, I can see her slowly fading back into obscurity.

I don't 'love' her as I've only seen a few photos of her and brief flashes on TV, but I do indeed think she's beautiful. No bandwagon jumping here, just personal taste.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm willing to bet the majority of people saying she's "stunning" are women because I've never seen a more average, simple looking celebrity in my life. No man would ever give this chick a second glance on the street.

"Stunning" is Jennifer Garner, Cheryl Cole territory.

whatever
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    She looks a lot younger than 30:o

I thought she was in her early 20s :o.
    She looks really good for her age :).
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    She is stunning and whatsmore a brilliant actress.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member

She is a beautiful woman, and it's refreshing to see someone called that other than being a typical Hollywood beauty i.e. Scarlet Johanson (who is beautiful too).
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Lupita isn't a recognised sex symbol by either the media or the general public so it just seems over-the-top to call her "stunning".

That's because she's a dark skinned black woman and the media tend to ignore women (in terms of beauty) who look like Lupita. Anyone can call anyone stunning, I don't need the media to tell me who I think is pretty or stunning. I have a mind of my own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edy10 wrote: »
    I thought she was in her early 20s :o.
    She looks really good for her age :).

It's actually a good thing that she's 30 and not 20. Celebrities who become very famous in their teens or early twenties often go off the rails after a while ... cough cough Miley ....cough cough Justin. The list is endless. Lupita has a bit of life experience behind her, she has completed her education and she seems quite lucid about the Hollywood circus/industry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is stunning and whatsmore a brilliant actress.
    MissLola wrote: »
    It's actually a good thing that she's 30 and not 20. Celebrities who become very famous in their teens or early twenties often go off the rails after a while ... cough cough Miley ....cough cough Justin. The list is endless. Lupita has a bit of life experience behind her, she has completed her education and she seems quite lucid about the Hollywood circus/industry.

I concur :cool:.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She will be part of the " road to the Oscars countdown " next Monday on Abc and she will be on Ellen later this week I believe (Thursday or Friday).
    She has done all the majors US late nights talk shows so far : Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, Craig Ferguson....and now the biggest daytime show Ellen (host of this year's Oscar ) ....so happy to continue to see her soar :cool::).

I'm pretty sure that she will be on the cover of US vogue this September ;-):).