Options

Ronnie Corbett to retire following health scare

IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
Forum Member
✭✭
Ronnie Corbett to retire following health scare: “He won’t be like Bruce Forsyth” says wife

The 83-year-old entertainer was admitted to hospital suffering from chest and stomach pains

Paul Jones
12:04 PM, 16 March 2014

Veteran entertainer Ronnie Corbett is to retire from television work after being admitted to hospital recently with a mystery illness.

The comedian was taken to the Princess Royal University Hospital last weekend after experiencing chest and stomach pains at his nearby home in Croydon. The 83-year-old has since been discharged but it is thought he will return for further tests after doctors failed to make a diagnosis.

Corbett's wife Anne said: "We didn't know what was wrong. He was feeling sick in his stomach and he wasn't well. The hospital ran lots of tests, he was in there for several days."

But she confirmed he will be retiring: "He won't be doing any more TV,” she told the Sunday Times. “He's 83. He won't be like Bruce Forsyth."

Corbett left hospital in time to deliver a eulogy at a memorial for fellow broadcaster Sir David Frost last Thursday. His wife said: "It was such an emotional day and Ronnie was determined to be there."

Corbett’s latest health scare follows his collapse two years ago at a Chinese restaurant while celebrating the news that he was to be awarded a CBE in recognition of his services to entertainment and charity. He was on medication after recently having undergone surgery on his knee.

Source/read the rest here:- http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-03-16/ronnie-corbett-to-retire-following-health-scare-he-wont-be-like-bruce-forsyth-says-wife

I hope he's ok.

Comments

• Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck to the little fella with a giant personality. Hope his health improves but will miss seeing him around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A legend of comedy, hope he has a great retirement.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Long, long time ago I remember RC saying that you should always buy your house with reference to its MSD.

What is MSD? I hear you ask.

Maximum Staggering Distance from the pub and it has been lodged in my mind ever since. :D

I sincerely wish him well.
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad news, but his health must come first. Hope he enjoys his retirement.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His autobiography of The Two Ronnies is well worth a read. :)
  • Options
    GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Aww hope he well and will enjoy his retirement. Always great in many roles.

He was the highlight of The Extras.

"it's always bloody Corbett"

http://youtu.be/bF2yT31FXTw
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goaty wrote: »
    Aww hope he well and will enjoy his retirement. Always great in many roles.

He was the highlight of The Extras.

"it's always bloody Corbett"

http://youtu.be/bF2yT31FXTw

That was, indeed, at touch of genius! :D
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww I'm so sad too read this
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "And it's goodbye from me".

I hope he has a good retirement.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was seen advertising Wiltshire Farm Foods recently.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He didn't sound in very good health when advertising things on TV. It's as if he was straining when talking.
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yoshi Fan wrote: »

Agree with this - go put your feet up and enjoy your retirement Ronnie and be sure that you've earned it!
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    He was seen advertising Wiltshire Farm Foods recently.

Maybe he was eating them as well. I like Ronnie Corbett but like Ernie Wise before him he lost half of his double act and became just a pal of Brucie to wheel on now and again.
  • Options
    DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely man, wish him all the best & hope he fully recovers. He's had some career.
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,968
    Forum Member
    Sad news he has had to retire but like others have said your health has to come first and he has had a long and successful career which many haven't had so he should be thankful for that. I personally always preferred Ronnie Barker but Ronnie Corbett is still a comedy legend and genius.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always loved Ronnie's humour, wit and skill as a comedy actor.

That said, I've noticed how heavy he is now compared to when he was in his early 50s.

He looks about two stone overweight at least.

Hopefully his doctors will now put him on a diet.

Get well soon, Ronnie! :D
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Yoshi Fan wrote: »

My sentiments as well. I wish him a happy retirement- he and Barker always
    made me laugh.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news, but as said, his health must come first, all the best Ronnie. :)
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    All the best, Ronnie! You gave me many happy laughs and were a brilliant comedy actor. :)
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps this story isn't the case after all? I just came across this:-
    Ronnie Corbett’s wife: ‘Not goodnight from him’

Ronnie Corbett’s wife has laughed off reports that the veteran Edinburgh comedian is about to retire.

It follows a health scare last week when the 83-year-old was hospitalised for two days after suffering chest and stomach pains and severe nausea.

It was then reported he was about to call it a day on his TV career with wife Anne quoted as saying he would not be doing any more TV and saying Ronnie was “no Bruce Forsyth.”

Today Anne, 80, said he husband was still fighting fit and has a number of projects on the go. She said: “He’s got contracts and commercials he is working on. Life goes on for Ronnie, as it always has done.”

She said Ronnie was also working on a TV pilot with fellow comedian Rob Brydon.

His wife said doctors kept him in for “several days” to carry out tests but have still to establish the cause of his illness.

The scare has prompted the Edinburgh-born TV star to consider putting his performing days behind him for good.

His wife said: “We didn’t know what was wrong. He was feeling sick in his stomach and he wasn’t well. The hospital ran lots of tests, he was in there for several days.” Although doctors have still to arrive at a clear diagnosis, the veteran performer was discharged in time to give a eulogy to close friend and broadcasting stalwart Sir David Frost during his memorial service at Westminster Abbey on Thursday.

Sir David died last August at the age of 74 after suffering a heart attack on a cruise ship. It was on Sir David’s 1960s show, The Frost Report, through which he met fellow comedian Ronnie Barker, that Mr Corbett first shot to fame, with the pair forging one of Britain’s best-loved TV partnerships in their long-running The Two Ronnies sketch programme.

Mr Corbett’s wife said her husband had insisted on attending Sir David’s memorial, where he joined high-profile guests including the Prince of Wales, Sir Michael Caine and Joanna Lumley.

Source/read the rest here:- http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/what-s-on/ronnie-corbett-s-wife-not-goodnight-from-him-1-3342386

Rob tweeted this yesterday:-
    Great time shooting The Guess List tonight #mynewsaturdaynightbbc1showcomingsoon
    (https://twitter.com/RobBrydon/status/445340076999204864)

so I presume thats maybe the pilot he's working on?.
  • Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Best of luck to him, I hope he has a great retirement, he deserves it after such a long career

Wonder if Wiltshere Farm Foods will send him a free colour brochure?
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Long, long time ago I remember RC saying that you should always buy your house with reference to its MSD.

What is MSD? I hear you ask.

Maximum Staggering Distance from the pub and it has been lodged in my mind ever since. :D

I sincerely wish him well.

And he lived up to it! He's only a stone's throw from his local. Often see him in the village - locals ignore him and let him have a life!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've already done the ground work for your legacy mate, time for u to be selfish & keep your health and happiness top of your priorities now.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does he know he's retiring? :D
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Does he know he's retiring? :D

Apparently not. He denied it today. :D