Appointment

kate1kate1 Posts: 347
Forum Member
I find the decision making of the manager at the hotel complete misrepresentation of how the sales process works. In normal business practice, a decision maker dosent buy from the first person he sees (referring to the 9 v 1 O'clock appointment) that was highly unusual, and in the real world just dosent happen.

Comments

• ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    Still better to catch people when fresh. First impressions count for a lot. If you make an effort (as Stu did) then it's human nature to respond positively.

It IS all about the early word-birm! It truly is.
  • kate1kate1 Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Yes I agree, but if you were to look to buy something, would you buy the first item that you saw without comparing quality, prices, etc with anything else.

Ive been in sales 20 years. Never have I been to see a buyer and they have made their decision based only on my product.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i do wodner if some of this stuff is scripted by bbc showmakers

hope not
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    They were coming from a long way ( the uk!). They werent buying that much. Stella's product was a british product adapted for the German market. They had tasted her product and liked it. The other one was I think meant to be a German product of which they are not short. They may not have come back if they hadnt ordered on the spot. All adds up to going for it!
  • JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kate1 wrote: »
    I find the decision making of the manager at the hotel complete misrepresentation of how the sales process works. In normal business practice, a decision maker dosent buy from the first person he sees (referring to the 9 v 1 O'clock appointment) that was highly unusual, and in the real world just dosent happen.

I was going to start a thread pointing out that the absolutely worst example of unprofessionalism in last night's programme was the guy making a decision without seeing both parties.

It was absolutely crazy and I suspect shenanigans from the production company.

Yes, it's best to get in first, but to make a concrete decision without seeing both products is just daft.

The second team could have had an identical product but better terms or simply better products.

Utterly unrealistic and, I suspect, the reason Sugar did not follow through in nailing Jamie who had given up the earlier slot.
    Forum Member
    To Jepson
    We live in a different world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    notary wrote: »
    To Jepson
    We live in a different world.

Evidently.

In the world I live in, competent people do not make business (or any other) decisions without getting as much information as possible.

They certainly don't make two appointments to asses competing products and then burn their bridges after attending only one.

And even if they did, no professional business person would have gone ahead with the second meeting and admitted he'd already fixed a decision. He'd have politely tasted the product and then declined to purchase.
    Forum Member
    Jepson, your spot on

Its just not human nature to by the first product you see.

Incredibly unprofessional also
  • madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    kate1 wrote: »

Yes, that's a very good point Kate. He'd say to them he was seeing somebody else later and make his decision then. It's like an interviewing process - why would an interviewer make his mind up after seeing the first candidate and offer them the job there and then!! It's no different and it's basic business to have a benchmark against a price quoted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    As Jamie said the early wird catches the birm

Or was it the early birm catches the word?
  • aussie_dave_gaussie_dave_g Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    I agree and actually was a bit unprofessional of the manager not to cancel the meeting once he knew there was no chance of him buying anything rather than making them come all that way down.

And in fact you could argue that the 1pm slot was better because had the manager waited, they could have tried to convince him to go with their product rather than the other lot.

Like a previous poster said, when it comes to The Apprentice production company .......'I call shenanigans'
  • madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    There's also the psychology of being the last to be seen making the lasting impression? being the last one up on stage/last in an interview etc. It's not necessarily true but if you're the last one to be interviewed, rather than the first, don't you feel better, especially if they are interviewing 6 that day?
    Forum Member
    Just thought it was complete misrepresentation of how the real sales process works. Its product, quality, price, T and C's etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    What makes me slightly suspicious is that both teams had an appointment with the same hotel, even though Lord Sugar only set them up with the import/export company and Karstadt, the department store chain...so how and why did they both end up having the same potential customer?

Leaving alone that I have to agree what was said before, you would not simply buy the first product and even if so, he could have still trialled the 2nd one to see if those flavours sell better, as obviously they are looking for a product which is liked and therefore bought by their customers.

It was also very interesting to see that Karstadt only bought 140 Euros worth of crisps. Clearly, they don't care about the show's format (sell on that day so one candidate wins) but decided to go for a normal business strategy - buy a few packs, do some trials and then make a decision.
  • aussie_dave_gaussie_dave_g Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    lumix2day2 wrote: »

It was also very interesting to see that Karstadt only bought 140 Euros worth of crisps. Clearly, they don't care about the show's format (sell on that day so one candidate wins) but decided to go for a normal business strategy - buy a few packs, do some trials and then make a decision.

Exactly, 140 euros to Karstadt is nothing. They clearly are just going to trial it in one or two stores, pretty much like anything else and see how it goes.

That order showed they have no faith whatsever and it was a just a speculative punt on their part which wouldnt cost them anything if the German public hated them.
    Forum Member
    Some of you are taking this way too seriously.
    When I buy a car for my business I do serious research. Only 104g CO2 emissions, if you're interested!
    For other stuff (say stationery) I'll take a punt on the first thing I see and if someone were to come round and offer me something fairly reasonable I'd take it there and then without a lot of thought because I can't be wasting my valuable time on what (for me) are not major purchases.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of you are taking this way too seriously.
    When I buy a car for my business I do serious research. Only 104g CO2 emissions, if you're interested!
    For other stuff (say stationery) I'll take a punt on the first thing I see and if someone were to come round and offer me something fairly reasonable I'd take it there and then without a lot of thought because I can't be wasting my valuable time on what (for me) are not major purchases.

For buying a pad of paper or a couple of pens, that would be fair enough.

For taking a decision on something that you would be presenting to your customers and which could reflect on the way they view your business and, more importantly, the bottom line, that would be a grotesquely irresponsible way to behave.
    Forum Member
    A few bags of crisps? Plus they were a 'prestige' brand. If they were good then make a decision. It was pennies in the scheme of things. Or should I say pfennige?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lumix2day2 wrote: »
    What makes me slightly suspicious is that both teams had an appointment with the same hotel, even though Lord Sugar only set them up with the import/export company and Karstadt, the department store chain...so how and why did they both end up having the same potential customer?

Really feel it was already set up. Marriott Hotels are a multi-national group. All the indoor things we see filmed have to have filming permission set up. You own a cafe, you can fill in the paper work when the camera crew turn up. A huge hotel chain? They'll be emails to corporate legal, PR and some layers of management. I'd say that one was arranged days in advance. Probably not directly with the guy we saw. He asks the production team, 'ok what do you want me to do here?' And he's asked to tell those who have the 1pm slot, no sorry, etc. The program makers have a nice simple reason for a firing for Sugar to use. There's still enough on both teams for him to happily remove.

That they also both tried a small cafe could be a coincidence or could be they had a list of filming friendly sites to choose from. Otherwise you might get a situation where you get too few filmable negotiation bits. Germans not being so aware of what the Apprentice is, compared to the UK.
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Someone on the live thread said that there could be shenanigans in the design of the crisps. While the teams specify the names and presumably basic factors of the flavours, it's up to the flavour chemists at the company to actually make them. And what lost them the task seems to be that the crisps didn't taste so good. In my opinion, it's possible (not probable) that the flavours weren't created equal.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I almost think that, if it had been me, I would have left the crisps for him to try anyway.

But then again, I know nothing about sales.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    I almost think that, if it had been me, I would have left the crisps for him to try anyway.

But then again, I know nothing about sales.

In real life, you would do that. But this is the only day of selling so they don't want to waste samples on someone who has wasted their time. Also they aren't thinking about the real company that made them, at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    Someone on the live thread said that there could be shenanigans in the design of the crisps. While the teams specify the names and presumably basic factors of the flavours, it's up to the flavour chemists at the company to actually make them. And what lost them the task seems to be that the crisps didn't taste so good. In my opinion, it's possible (not probable) that the flavours weren't created equal.

Like with some chocolates last year, not enough time to try and get the flavours to work perhaps? Even in real life quite a few flavours don't work well (or you need to be told what flavour it is supposed to be).
  • trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few bags of crisps? Plus they were a 'prestige' brand. If they were good then make a decision. It was pennies in the scheme of things. Or should I say pfennige?

It was more than a few bags of crisps he'd bought. It was 40* bags a day, 5 days a week for 6 months.

*I can't remember the exact number, but it was between 40 and 80.
    Forum Member
    I cant see the fuss. He tasted them liked them, ordered them. What was he supposed to do, wait for the other team to show him theirs and see if he liked them better? That is what mice do, sampling all the food around. Before you buy a dress do you go all over the west end and try them all out. Reminds me about the matches, his mother sent him to buy some and said make sure they work. He came back saying they did he had tried them all out. Then another thing, maybe he didnt like their change of mind of 9 to 1. People like decisiveness. Not to be messed about. Then again they were selling him something English, the other team were selling something German which he wasnt short of.