Co- writers have ruined music

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nw0307 wrote: »
    Beyonce? I've heard she's terrible for doing it. I'm not singing your song unless I get to edit it and credited to co-writer:rolleyes: I think it's done partially for greed - more royalties, and definitely ego.

This.

I saw the Grammys pre-telecast stream on Sunday and for the song categories, I remember one song had almost 10 names!!!! I was thinking to myself, that announcer must have done some practice runs for that category before saying it live (I suppose it was pre-recorded though).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyonce? I've heard she's terrible for doing it. I'm not singing your song unless I get to edit it and credited to co-writer:rolleyes:

I won't be surprised. She must have been super-pissed when her Dreamgirls song Listen got nominated for an Oscar but not her because she was the "fourth writer" (as if she had any chance of being nominated for Best Actress) :p:p The rule states that only three writers can be nominated on a song for Best Original Song. I'm not sure if that's still the rule now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.musicweek.com//news/read/just-5-of-today-s-best-selling-music-songs-are-written-solely-by-their-performer/053416

Radio play is now dictated by how many co- writers you have as there's no money to be made in record sales. Writing the songs is the only profitable part of the business.

I can only think of one artist who writes all her own stuff - Amy Macdonald

It obviously isn't it, these acts are usually just glorified kareoke singers with no writing talent. They need to bring in song writers to be successful, the artists are usually classed as a co-writer probably because they may have contributed a sentence to the song.

There's plenty more than just Amy Macdonald that writes their own music, but I guess it depends of the scope of music you are listening to.
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyonce?

And the rest, it's rife :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Yes but the argument is co-writers are ruining music and she is therefore part of the cycle if she chooses to co-write. I take no issue with it like you said at least she has a hand in her own music and sometimes having another person can bring something to life which could not have been as good otherwise :)

It's a poor argument because without co-writers there would be no music. Just puppets on stage stood in silence.