Options

Foxsat issue

I've just bought a Foxsat and had the dish installed. Both signals are fine but when I record anything I can't then watch some of the channels. For example I'm recording Spooks at the moment, But when I turn over to watch a live channel I can't watch ITV 1. Am I doing something wrong, or is it set up incorrectly. I would expect that I would at least be able to watch any channel whilst recording one other channel.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Is your set up with a dual or single LNB feed. A single feed will limit your options
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    It's dual LNB, there are two cables going into the back of the box. That's what's odd. Is there anyway to confirm there are actually two independent feeds?

I can see the two signals on the diagnostic page, both with a strength of 90% and a quality of 100%. Having said that when I go to the Freesat tuning page I see a strength of 85% and a quality of 50%. Is that normal?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Are you sure the cables are connected to LNB in 1 & 2. There's an LNB out connector between the 2 LNB in connectors so it's easy to connect the second in to the out by mistake. If this is the problem it'll need a reset to get the box to recognise the second LNB after you've made the switch.
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crt>lcd! wrote: »
    It's dual LNB, there are two cables going into the back of the box. That's what's odd. Is there anyway to confirm there are actually two independent feeds?

Press the menu button and select the third icon down for 'setup' now move the cursor across to 'Fresat tune' but don't press 'ok'. Press red green yellow blue green yellow blue, and ignore the no entry icon that appears on screen. Select 'Antenna Settings' and check the connection type is reading 'Two Cables (same). However having said that your comment about seeing the two signals in the next quoted paragraph could also indicate the presence of two fully working feeds, this however may not be true if the box is running on firmware prior to version 1.00.11.

details here
    I can see the two signals on the diagnostic page, both with a strength of 90% and a quality of 100%. Having said that when I go to the Freesat tuning page I see a strength of 85% and a quality of 50%. Is that normal?
    A quality of 50% is pretty boarderline it looks as if your dish isn't quite aligned correctly. The dish generally is aligned to a cluster of satellites, Astra 2A/2B/2D at 28.2°E & Eurobird 1 at 28.5°. It seems the dish is baised toward the Astra satellites and needs tweeking to bring Eurobird into line.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    nagasaki wrote: »
    Are you sure the cables are connected to LNB in 1 & 2. There's an LNB out connector between the 2 LNB in connectors so it's easy to connect the second in to the out by mistake. If this is the problem it'll need a reset to get the box to recognise the second LNB after you've made the switch.

I'm willing to bet Nagasaki has hit the nail on the head :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Ok, it's working now - basically I'd plugged in the old Sky dish prior to the freesat install and it was working with the Sky Dish. What I didn't when the correct cables went in was do a full reset, as a result it was only seeing the first LNB input. Silly me.

Thanks for all the responses helpful. I really appreciate your help.

In terms of the signal, why is it that it shows a different signal level on the diagnostics page compared to the Freesat tune page? Which is correct?

If I do need to change the alignment is it a big task, or is it just a case of loosening a couple of bolts, moving the dish until the percentages go higher on the Humax and then tightening them up again?
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of the signal, why is it that it shows a different signal level on the diagnostics page compared to the Freesat tune page? Which is correct?

They are both correct. But only in respect to the channel being viewed. When on the tune page the relevent transponder is being reported, hence my comments in my previous post. The adjustment required will be very small if you wish to tackle this yourself I suggest you make some form of measurement so that any misajustments can be easily rectified.
    Any movement made to the dish will not neccessarily update the signal strength immediately so will require slight movements and a watchful eye from a willing helper. You could do a trial atempt without loosening any bolts to start with and just relying on any 'flex' within the installation. Viewing the dish from behind you need to move it to the left.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As GC says the freesat home transponder is a little way further East on Eurobird 1 at 28.5E rather than the Astra 2 birds at 28.2E. Try a minute nudge to the East with the transponder selected in manual tune mode. (11427 H). Give the tuner time to respond to each adjustment (it's not instantaneous)

Check you have the correct skew setting on the lnb, getting this wrong can make it difficult to distinguish between horizontal and verticaly polarised channels