PC won't load windows, won't recognise keyboard.

Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,465
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Acer Revo RL100 nettop/media PC running Windows 7.
It has its own integral touchpad keyboard/mouse but is usually used with a wireless usb keyboard and mouse. No connections for PS2 mouse and keyboard.

When powered up the Revo splashscreen shows for some time and then goes on to a screen with an option to repair windows or load normally. It's not possible to select anything as neither the touchpad nor keyboard, nor mouse are recognised. I've tried a couple of different keyboards (both wireless usb) and tried using different usb slots (there are only 3, all usb 2.0), nothing works. I don't have a wired usb keyboard, is it worth trying one?

After about 30 seconds it defaults automatically to the repair option. A message comes up saying that Microsoft is loading files and then the screen goes black. I've left it going for hours but nothing seems to happen. The connection to the screen is HDMI, which is the only option no DVI or VGA.

There are a few saved emails which I'd have liked to keep and a set of photos from a day trip that I hadn't got round to backing up but I'm resigned to losing them! Everything else is backed up.

I have Recovery disks but they're not booting automatically and I can't use a keyboard to change the booting order. The PC has a blu-ray/dvd drive which seems to power up ok when the recovery disk is inserted. The usb slots are capable of charging phones, tablets etc.

Admittedly the machine is old and slow and refused to upgrade to Windows 10, but it was still quite useful while it was working. Any suggestions please?

Comments