Options

A PC/Windows equivalent to flush memory?

At home for my Macbook I have some kind of free programme which can free up memory if and when. I could do with something like that for my PC here at work, which gets to start going slow every few days and only a reboot seems to freshen in up. However, as it is part of an intricate works system and has to log onto I don't know how many different servers etc, rebooting takes time and is a pain. So is there some kind of simple PC app which could 'flush out the memory and free some of it up for me?

Comments

• Options
    esperantoesperanto Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a good way to wind up on the wrong end of a disciplinary! :o

Have you asked your works IT department about this?

Anything which interferes with Windows memory handling is likely to cause you BIG PROBLEMS.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows uses a totally different memory management system than OSX so direct comparisons are useless.

Probably its a slightly dodgy driver somewhere not releasing its memory and thus it slowly eats up all the memory available but chasing it down is one thing which is rather a fun thing to do when bored but obviously its another to fix it without causing even more carnage.
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jumping to conclusions about a ram problem, then installing software on a works computer to fix a problem that may not exist sounds like a surefire route to the job centre.

Maybe the OP should click one of those ads that says 'is your computer running slow' . . .
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    At home for my Macbook I have some kind of free programme which can free up memory if and when. I could do with something like that for my PC here at work, which gets to start going slow every few days and only a reboot seems to freshen in up. However, as it is part of an intricate works system and has to log onto I don't know how many different servers etc, rebooting takes time and is a pain. So is there some kind of simple PC app which could 'flush out the memory and free some of it up for me?
    It might be worth looking at Task Manager and seeing how much memory each application and process is using. It sounds like you have a memory leak. If you can establish what is causing it you might fix it.

It sounds like you have a lot of legacy servers running, and it could easily be a bit of old client software that is causing the problem.
  • Options
    pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    esperanto wrote: »

Anything which interferes with Windows memory handling is likely to cause you BIG PROBLEMS.

Point taken, here and below. Oh, well, just have to reconcile myself to re-booting every so often. But it is a pain of a problem.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Windows uses a totally different memory management system than OSX so direct comparisons are useless.

Probably its a slightly dodgy driver somewhere not releasing its memory and thus it slowly eats up all the memory available but chasing it down is one thing which is rather a fun thing to do when bored but obviously its another to fix it without causing even more carnage.

^ Absolutely this.
    esperanto wrote: »

That's what I'd do if there's a problem so that if there's any adverse consequences, it's their fault and their responsibility to re-sort everything out again.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have legacy crap that needs upgrading it can open a right minefield...just schedule a reboot while you have a dump on works time to reduce the down time.
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    However, as it is part of an intricate works system and has to log onto I don't know how many different servers etc, rebooting takes time and is a pain. So is there some kind of simple PC app which could 'flush out the memory and free some of it up for me?

Yes its called....... pick up the phone and report to IT or get sacked..... :D