Options

Help needed with strange network problem

Hi all,

I have had a problem with my home network for a week now and after trying numerous things, I have decided to post on here to see if there is a possible solution.

I have a home network consisting of a Desktop & 2 laptops all running on Windows 10 & all connected to my BT Homehub, the desktop & one of the laptops is connected via lan & my other laptop is connected via wlan. Up until very recently I have been able to surf over wlan without any problems, but now I am getting the strangest of problems that I cannot figure out.

On the wlan I am able to load the majority of sites, even those with high security like online banking, but other sites likes the Spotify webpage, BBC webpage, ITV webpage, all give me the server 404 not found. I have checked for things like virus's, Spyware, Malware, I have also checked to make sure that drivers are all up to date & everything is fine, along with no blockages on the firewall. If I plug in the ethernet cable into the laptop, then every site loads without fail, also if I unplug the ethernet cable and go back to wireless, every site still loads, but as soon as I restart the laptop and it is on wireless, those same sites fail to load on any browser.

Now the strange thing is that the sites load fine on my Mobile Phone & Tablet over Wifi, but not on the laptop over wifi. The laptop in question is a HP Elitebook 2560p & it is quite frustrating being able to load the majority of sites, with exception of the odd few on that laptop, as all my other devices load every site wired or wireless.

I was wondering if anyone here can offer any possible soultion ?

Many Thanks

Comments

• Options
    misarmisar Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This might be DNS related. To check try connecting to one of the web sites that gives an error using its IP address instead of its URL. If necessary you can find the IP address using your LAN connected PC - open a command prompt and ping the URL.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does sound like a DNS problem. You could temporarily change the IP properties on the wireless laptop to an alternative DNS address such as the Google DNS servers.

The other thing; have you rebooted your BT Hub recently, followed by the PC? Always a good thing to try.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misar wrote: »
    This might be DNS related. To check try connecting to one of the web sites that gives an error using its IP address instead of its URL. If necessary you can find the IP address using your LAN connected PC - open a command prompt and ping the URL.
    Stig wrote: »
    It does sound like a DNS problem. You could temporarily change the IP properties on the wireless laptop to an alternative DNS address such as the Google DNS servers.

The other thing; have you rebooted your BT Hub recently, followed by the PC? Always a good thing to try.

Thank you ever so much for the replies guys, it was DNS related & my own doing which I had totally forgotten about. A few months ago I joined up to one of those companies that gave you region free Netflix and had completely forgotten to change the DNS settings back to normal after I had left the company. :blush:

Thanks again it is much appreciated.